Sign in to follow this  
emrdesign

Why Are All Generated Preview Meshes All Black In Asset Browser

Hi,

I really wonder why you give us the menu option to create a preview of all 6710 meshes but all generated previews are completely black. Even in the Asset preview window when you double click on a mesh you get to see a completely black mesh.

How do you think that will help us to decide to start making mods for Dying Light???

What do we need to do with thousands of completely black previews of meshes???

Only when you drag the mesh to your own map it is shown with its real colors.

Furthermore the total count of meshes in the right hand top corner is double the actual total amount of meshes.

Oh and another question:

Why o why is there a lot of news on Steam about patches for the Developer Tools but isn't there a link to download any of the patches??? Might be handy you know!

Looking forward to your reply on above questions...

Edited by emrdesign

1. Black previews sounds like a bug, not our "feauture". Do you have envprobe on map? Which viewport mode do you have? Editor or Normal?

2. Patches are dowwloading automatic after our publish, like in all other games on Steam. You don't must press link or buton "Download".

i thought black assets where normal behavior.

i have a tonne of black assets in the asset preview window.

how do i fix them?

i have already generated previews.

edit: wow, just generated the previews again with a global envprobe and all items in the asset window are too bright now.

Edited by doomguy

yes, i generated envprobes.

also, i advise doing this in a new map.

it seems many of my assets have now more than one asset. it seems like they are groups. for example, instead of having a picture of a bike chain (for the asset bike chain), there's also another random asset picture next to the bike chain.

like this: http://postimg.org/image/w7c3v3lph/

this can be fixed by generating previews again in a new map

Edited by doomguy

ok, i've totally messed the tools up. objects aren't dark anymore, it depends on envprobes for their brightness. i've to mess around with it again to get a good brightness - maybe reinstall or something.

as for lods i mentioned in another post, apparently lods created with items already on the world can be deleted (when generating previews), as i generated previews again in a new map, and the lods where replaced and yet my original map works fine.

one last thing though is regarding assets that are turned around, facing back. any way to get them facing forward?

Hey DoomGuy,

--Check out one of my earlier posts... it has worked well for me:

http://forum.techland.pl/topic/11180-slums/#entry37998

Open your assets tab and in the left-hand file browser select "Meshes" (it's toward the bottom, below the Data folder). That's where most the meshes be located...yar! All you need to do is generate previews for them. Go to your Varlist and set the weather to "none" (just sunny) and the time to 12-15hrs. Now jump into the "Filters" drop-down list and hide "All Objects" (also toward bottom). Now you are ready to generate previews! Return to the Assets tab and remember the "Meshes" folder on the bottom left? Right-Click it and Generate Previews. Let the system do it's thing and save snaps of your objects to your project folder. Once it's done generating previews, return to filters list and Show all objects again... just make sure to clear the ..."your project"/data/previews folder before uploading your work (not sure it includes in UL, but shaves 600+mb off the save folder)

Hey DoomGuy,

--Check out one of my earlier posts... it has worked well for me:

http://forum.techland.pl/topic/11180-slums/#entry37998

thx, i'll give that a try.

edit:

thx pizle, meshes look really nice now

just one thing, some of them are turned around, for instance those walls that are invisible from one side have that invisible side turned front, so i cant see the mesh.

anyway to fix this?

i noticed that i had a few turned the wrong side before this hiatus, and now they are facing the correct side (it seems random)

Edited by doomguy