Sign in to follow this  
Pete Donnelly

Btz Balance Update Today!

Hey Everyone,

Just want to let you all know that we have been going over all the data regarding BTZ matches and have decided to push out some new "tunables" today!  I also want you to know we have been reading the forums and do appreciate your input!  Keep it coming!

To sum it all up, the Survivors are showing a slight advantage in equally skilled matches although Hunters are still winning the majority of matches overall.

Here's a list of tweaks for those that are interested (These should be live now!):

Decreased UV light distance by 20%

Increased Hunters UV light resistance( these values vary from 1v1-4v1 but he has been given a slight resistance buff across all modes)

Increased Flare Usage cost: (was 40% per throw, now 60%.  If you throw 2 flares too quickly you will hit the cooldown)

Increased Explosive Resistance: (1 Explosive arrow will not quite kill a Hunter with full health.  Propane tanks etc. damage reduced to 66%, was 100% for Nests and Hunter)

There are a few other behind the scenes tweaks as well but these ones listed above should be the most notable!

Happy Hunting!

Also this is what the update log should've been.

Removed Camouflage: I don't really see the purpose for this being added, the thing is nothing but an entire buff for the Survivor.

Removed Grappling hook: This was the game ruiner, Humans would hunt YOU with it. Not only that but they made a so called event called "Spider Crane" That gave them nearly no fall damage and infinity grappling hook, I think this was just an excuse to get more Survivors playing BTZ.

Removed instant med kit healing: Seriously who thought it was a good idea for survivors to heal 100 instant heal?! Oh and lets not forget that nearly every Human has duped them and has x9999999 of them. How about you make it like hard mode, where the med kit slowly heals them and it has a amount of time of healing.

Nerfed hitting speed: Apparently 1 hit kill weapons aren't the problem now, instead it's how fast Humans can attack the Night Hunter. Giving it near about 3 seconds to live if right beside a Human, but if you're on a roof Survivors can use their grappling hook or explosive arrows to still kill you anyways.

Fixed Ground Pound: So if a Human stands on a box he can dodge my Ground Pound? I don't find that very logical. Instead we should get a skill called Ground Pound shockwave, where instead when it hits the ground it will have a bubble like field that will go around the Night Hunter that will hit anybody inside of it.

Fixed Pounce: When you pounce somebody you are immortal but can still take damage. Make it to where you can't take any damage at all when in the pounce animation. I'm tired of have 0 health after the pounce animation is over and I'm killed by the Humans.

Also this is what the update log should've been.

Removed Camouflage: I don't really see the purpose for this being added, the thing is nothing but an entire buff for the Survivor.

Removed Grappling hook: This was the game ruiner, Humans would hunt YOU with it. Not only that but they made a so called event called "Spider Crane" That gave them nearly no fall damage and infinity grappling hook, I think this was just an excuse to get more Survivors playing BTZ.

Removed instant med kit healing: Seriously who thought it was a good idea for survivors to heal 100 instant heal?! Oh and lets not forget that nearly every Human has duped them and has x9999999 of them. How about you make it like hard mode, where the med kit slowly heals them and it has a amount of time of healing.

Nerfed hitting speed: Apparently 1 hit kill weapons aren't the problem now, instead it's how fast Humans can attack the Night Hunter. Giving it near about 3 seconds to live if right beside a Human, but if you're on a roof Survivors can use their grappling hook or explosive arrows to still kill you anyways.

Fixed Ground Pound: So if a Human stands on a box he can dodge my Ground Pound? I don't find that very logical. Instead we should get a skill called Ground Pound shockwave, where instead when it hits the ground it will have a bubble like field that will go around the Night Hunter that will hit anybody inside of it.

Fixed Pounce: When you pounce somebody you are immortal but can still take damage. Make it to where you can't take any damage at all when in the pounce animation. I'm tired of have 0 health after the pounce animation is over and I'm killed by the Humans.

Removing the camouflage I can see good reasons for that, it is quite a buff given how long it lasts and that you can basically have it almost the whole match with the infected floating around.

As for removing the grappling hook? I don't see that being very plausible because the grappling hook isn't only used to reach the rooftops to chase the NH. It helps the survivor get around and certain nests are in fact on rooftops.

The instant med kit heals I agree with. I play on hard mode but I do believe normal mode players should have the same med kit heals as hard mode, during the BTZ match. Instant popup heal makes it very difficult if not impossible to get a kill for the NH.

I disagree with nerfing the hitting speed of the survivor. With the agility and speed of the Night Hunter he is never usually next to a survivor for a period of time, jumping above the survivors head with more time in the air then actually on the ground. I believe the hitting speed is fine. Skilled NH usually get away from me with 1/3 of there health intact. Unless missing a GP, just standing there or sticking around on the ground longer than they should, they don't usually die.

The GP is a bit buggy as to when and where it can hit the survivors, I do know that if a survivor is in mid air and within the hitting range it will still knock the survivor back. Whether it be caused by latency or the physics of the game itself, I do not know.

For the pounce I have seen this as well. The NH taking damage while in the pounce animation should have been fixed. They obviously weren't meant to die if they can leave the successful pounce with zero health after being hacked on, not being able to help it.

Pete,

Okay, so I've played a few games and the tweaks seem about right.  I'm able to worry strong players by keeping on them flying around behind building and such.  It keeps the pressure on stronger, though not aggressive, players.

Here's my issue now.  I'm sitting on Level 31 of Mutation 1 and I can't bring myself to press the button to mutate up.  I really don't want to have to slog through the skill set again with even more work between skill points only to get the toxic spit.  Where I'm sitting the cost/benefit is not there.

However, if a NH can be buffed on a Mutation level then it's more of an incentive.  A small but noticeable difference in recovery times for a missed GP, tackle or pounce miss, time allowed to interrupt a pounce, distance a pounce can be initiated, speed of spit recharge, damage and speed of a claw attack, power of a GP and tackle, time and distance of spit spash, speed and distance of a tendril locomotion, etc.  Basically all of the parameters of the NH to the point an experienced survivor player will know they are dealing with something serious when confronted with even a Level 1 Mutation 3 Night Hunter.  I mean, considering a NH going into mutation 3 has, what, 90 or so levels behind him?

While I know some will say an Apex Predator is too buff for lowly humans to take on, they may be right.  A lot of what goes on a game thought is not dependent on the level as much as the player themselves.  I've come across maxed out survivors I handled embarrassingly easily while other who are at 7's and 8 across the board I was not able to defeat.  It's mostly the player behind the character that matters.  What I'm talking about is incentive to mutate up.  Where it stands now, I'm not so certain it's worth it.

stop changing the game, if I wanted a game that was completely different and constantly changing months after release I wouldn't have bought this

eventually after all the buffs the hunter gets it will be a worthless game. you should be focusing on the hackers and people who use trainers

Can't you guys put a timer on matches because it's BS that the humans can just wait around for the hunter to quit in their safe house or find a glitch to hide somewhere and camp around not playing, like 10 minutes that's good and simple!

Can't you guys put a timer on matches because it's BS that the humans can just wait around for the hunter to quit in their safe house or find a glitch to hide somewhere and camp around not playing, like 10 minutes that's good and simple!

you would need a longer time than that, some good matches I play go for over 20mins

First of all, I want to say thanks Pete, and those at techland for replying and listening.

People need to realise this is a rough nerf to the humans and to quit moaning now, it actually is balanced.

I've only played 3 games in 3 weeks, off which all 3 were after this particular update, and i'm enjoying the changes so far. FINALLY A CHALLENGE

I like to consider myself a strong survivor - as i'm sure many hunters know me by now, well at least the strong ones. My thoughts is that it seems balanced. The 3 games I've played were vs weaker hunters, and i can really tell the difference now, I'm having decent games - I can't imagine how hard the games will be against strong hunters like boobafinno, touka and diavolo.

My overview:

This will fix a lot of issues and weaken hunting down the hunter. It also boosts the hunters ability to pick off humans now, since before you could uv across a large distance like 30m to stop a hunter pouncing on a ally, now that's been reduced it gives the hunter a greater opportunity to gain those kills he otherwise wouldn't have before. We all knew a UV nerf was coming, and they listened. We all should be happy with this, especially you hunters out there. As for my fellow human survivors, stay close!

Increased Hunters UV light resistance

Helpful for Hunters in gaining an advantage over the survivor, also helps in co-op games. I've actually seen the difference now, and with the increase of UV resistance, it'll also open a wider opportunity for hunters to get more kills, as a survivor will have to be intelligent in using his uv, not to over-use it, as it'll run out even quicker in regards to the hunter sufficing more uv light.

Increased Flare Usage cost

This is probably one of the biggest issues that i saw a lot of hunters complaining about. Flare spamming. Well guess what, you can't do that efficiently anymore... I've tried. That small little nerf of 20% sure does make a difference. 

Increased Explosive Resistance

Here we go... the moment all hunters were waiting for...the explosive nerf. Never again will a survivor 1 hit you (despite how hard it was against strong hunters)...and never again should we see a complaint. In my eyes, when i first played after the update I truly saw the difference... 2 Clear arrows which would otherwise 1 hit, and the hunter is still alive with almost non-existent hp. It now takes me 3 arrows average (although only needing 2) to kill even the weakest hunters who rarely manoeuvre themselves around, and i'm a Robin Hood. Rarely from the 3 invasions i played did I 2 hit the hunter. So this again is helping hunters survivability and nerfing survivors to the point where killing the hunter is 2 times as hard as it used to be. (Think about that for a moment... theoretically 2 times harder). As for barrels and cannisters, i dislike the nerf, but i guess it had to be done, even though it was "skill" to manoeuvre yourself in a position to shoot a barrel/cannister to kill the hunter. This nerf collectively makes killing nests harder to kill, and hunters. Meaning for me, longer games - more opportunity for hunter to kill, and harder to kill hunter - more opportunity for hunter to kill.

So conclusion: good balance update.

My cause for concern is that hunters will win even more games than they did before (As Pete mentioned, and I stated 2-3 weeks ago, hunters win the majority of the games). This begs the question of "why nerf survivors then?"... well from my view, I think its because there are fewer good/strong hunters than there are survivors. Although from my experience, I've only seen 5-6 survivors who are strong including myself (a few are Ninja, SCICE, Banana Reaper...). It's also because the explosive arrow was OP, I'll admit. Everything else seemed reasonably to a certain extent. (and no, i'm not contradicting myself, i'm just looking at the bigger picture). The issue here is that with the nerf, you will see less survivors and more hunters most likely, those that quit will probably return upon seeing the changes. The few survivors left will probably be the stronger survivors pre-nerf who wanted a challenge. This snowballs into finding invasions longer for the hunters, and also less co-op for survivors.

I believe any hunter now, who's still unpleased with these changes and wants survivors even more nerfed should pick up playing survivor again, go hard difficulty and play vs a decent or strong hunter again....please do, and then report back to me and tell me survivors are still OP. Those still complaining need to step up their game and acknowledge that maybe they're just bad hunters, or maybe they're facing good survivors. Deal with it, just like how we survivors have to deal with this nerf.

As for Reece and his grappling hook nerf etc. Are you serious?

TL;DR

- Thanks Pete/Techland

- Balanced nerf

- 1 Issue, win rate even more inflated for hunters 

- Those still complaining survivors need nerf -> get better

Edited by xiao

First of all, I want to say thanks Pete, and those at techland for replying and listening.

People need to realise this is a rough nerf to the humans and to quit moaning now, it actually is balanced.

I've only played 3 games in 3 weeks, off which all 3 were after this particular update, and i'm enjoying the changes so far. FINALLY A CHALLENGE

I like to consider myself a strong survivor - as i'm sure many hunters know me by now, well at least the strong ones. My thoughts is that it seems balanced. The 3 games I've played were vs weaker hunters, and i can really tell the difference now, I'm having decent games - I can't imagine how hard the games will be against strong hunters like boobafinno, touka and diavolo.

My overview:

This will fix a lot of issues and weaken hunting down the hunter. It also boosts the hunters ability to pick off humans now, since before you could uv across a large distance like 30m to stop a hunter pouncing on a ally, now that's been reduced it gives the hunter a greater opportunity to gain those kills he otherwise wouldn't have before. We all knew a UV nerf was coming, and they listened. We all should be happy with this, especially you hunters out there. As for my fellow human survivors, stay close!

Increased Hunters UV light resistance

Helpful for Hunters in gaining an advantage over the survivor, also helps in co-op games. I've actually seen the difference now, and with the increase of UV resistance, it'll also open a wider opportunity for hunters to get more kills, as a survivor will have to be intelligent in using his uv, not to over-use it, as it'll run out even quicker in regards to the hunter sufficing more uv light.

Increased Flare Usage cost

This is probably one of the biggest issues that i saw a lot of hunters complaining about. Flare spamming. Well guess what, you can't do that efficiently anymore... I've tried. That small little nerf of 20% sure does make a difference. 

Increased Explosive Resistance

Here we go... the moment all hunters were waiting for...the explosive nerf. Never again will a survivor 1 hit you (despite how hard it was against strong hunters)...and never again should we see a complaint. In my eyes, when i first played after the update I truly saw the difference... 2 Clear arrows which would otherwise 1 hit, and the hunter is still alive with almost non-existent hp. It now takes me 3 arrows average (although only needing 2) to kill even the weakest hunters who rarely manoeuvre themselves around, and i'm a Robin Hood. Rarely from the 3 invasions i played did I 2 hit the hunter. So this again is helping hunters survivability and nerfing survivors to the point where killing the hunter is 2 times as hard as it used to be. (Think about that for a moment... theoretically 2 times harder). As for barrels and cannisters, i dislike the nerf, but i guess it had to be done, even though it was "skill" to manoeuvre yourself in a position to shoot a barrel/cannister to kill the hunter. This nerf collectively makes killing nests harder to kill, and hunters. Meaning for me, longer games - more opportunity for hunter to kill, and harder to kill hunter - more opportunity for hunter to kill.

So conclusion: good balance update.

My cause for concern is that hunters will win even more games than they did before (As Pete mentioned, and I stated 2-3 weeks ago, hunters win the majority of the games). This begs the question of "why nerf survivors then?"... well from my view, I think its because there are fewer good/strong hunters than there are survivors. Although from my experience, I've only seen 5-6 survivors who are strong including myself (a few are Ninja, SCICE, Banana Reaper...). It's also because the explosive arrow was OP, I'll admit. Everything else seemed reasonably to a certain extent. (and no, i'm not contradicting myself, i'm just looking at the bigger picture). The issue here is that with the nerf, you will see less survivors and more hunters most likely, those that quit will probably return upon seeing the changes. The few survivors left will probably be the stronger survivors pre-nerf who wanted a challenge. This snowballs into finding invasions longer for the hunters, and also less co-op for survivors.

I believe any hunter now, who's still unpleased with these changes and wants survivors even more nerfed should pick up playing survivor again, go hard difficulty and play vs a decent or strong hunter again....please do, and then report back to me and tell me survivors are still OP. Those still complaining need to step up their game and acknowledge that maybe they're just bad hunters, or maybe they're facing good survivors. Deal with it, just like how we survivors have to deal with this nerf.

As for Reece and his grappling hook nerf etc. Are you serious?

TL;DR

- Thanks Pete/Techland

- Balanced nerf

- 1 Issue, win rate even more inflated for hunters 

- Those still complaining survivors need nerf -> get better

Just came back from playing the survivor. Destroyed a level 31 mutation 1 hunter.

It was a good patch. There's still problems. I still get hit with the UV light even though it shouldn't. The grappling hook allows survivors to hunt me down and attack me. All spits are still easily avoidable. Flare spam still happens. The new spits are shared with the old. Horde spit is useless because the zombies can't climb. UV spit is useless because of the flares. Players can still shoot with no punishment for it. UV light still has an insane recharge. Survivors can camouflage making it harder for the night hunter. Survivor sense still breaks the game. The spit to stop survivor sense is again easy to avoid.

Then there's the big one I just found. Where all spits, whether their on the player or next to him, can be blocked with a shield. Do you believe that's fair? I managed to land a spit and it was blocked with a shield they made.

The humans are still OP. It's not hard beating a tough hunter. Especially as a team. Maybe instead of insulting people you actually realize that humans can still easily kill a hunter whether their good or not.