Sign in to follow this  
DoctorPurrington

Dev Request: Detailed ~Be The Zombie~ Patch Review

Hey all, just thought I'd throw out a quick request for a detailed overview of the newest patch regarding the "Be the Zombie" changes. The enhancements look extensive, and I'm sure many of us would love an overview similar to what what provided during the last patch!

For those who don't know, the Devs here were kind enough to give us a very detailed overview of the details of the last patch. What was previously provided was much more detailed than the actual Patch Notes, and I know I was sincerely grateful for the detailed description of the changes.

Since it appears there's a big change in the way the Night Hunter is played, a rundown of new abilities and what this means for current Hunter players would be greatly appreciated! We can use this thread to discuss changes (but let's keep it civil!).

It's wonderful that the Devs would put these kinds of core-gameplay changes in, and the request is simply so we all have the most information possible.

TL;DR: After the previous patch, the Devs put out a detailed review of the "Be the Zombie" changes on this board. Devs, would you mind doing so again for the new changes?

Edited by DoctorPurrington

This would be helpful. Until then here's a quick overview.

First off, patch notes:

11051819_10155555927480176_3199369768173

• New mutation system that unlocks additional abilities
  • Balance tweaks (no specifics)
  • Spit stick glitch fixed where spits don't register after being stuck
  • Ground pound bug fixed (I assume it's
    )
  • Flares damage to hives normalized

Now onto the abilities:

Sense Suppressor Spit (Mutation Level 1)

11200786_10155555918550176_8272794180659

Nullifies survivor sense for a brief period of time. While I enjoy having a survivor sense counter I would have preferred it to be in the form of some self triggered passive ability (like camouflage). Still opens up plenty of options against aggro survivors.

Toxic Spit (Mutation Level 2)

11329987_10155555917280176_3444917732897

Fires a spit that explodes on impact, creating a puddle of acid that quickly dissolves whatever is in it. Probably the biggest game changer of all the new abilities. The night hunter now has other means of preventing hunters from camping inside enclosed spaces with only one entrance. He can also pressure survivors by creating unsafe areas that force them out of advantageous spots such as inside flares, rooftops or volatile spawns.

Edit: didn't think about this at first but it'll also make converting downs into kills a lot easier or just make it riskier for survivors to go for revives.

UV Heal (Mutation Level 3)

11215707_10155555917830176_1199755917556

Hold triangle while using UV block to quickly regain health and energy. Another interesting ability that will allow you last longer in engagements and will allow you to be more aggressive against UV spam.

And finally the mutation system.

11295881_10155555919520176_3643164488585

Each new mutation will cost you all abilities and reset your character back to level 1 in return for a new night hunter skin and what I assume to be one unlock for the new abilities. It might be slightly annoying to have only one unlock for the new abilities per mutation but we'll see how it works out.

Also just like last time matchmaking seems to be affected by the new patch. Be prepared to wait a while to test out these new abilities.

Edited by jcks

Great notes!

*Please* tell me Toxic works in water. Regardless, that's a nice addition.

Definitely agree on the Sense Spit, it's too bad it's not used on you, but the Humans. You can't hit everyone with it in 1 Vs. 4, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out, especially depending on how long it lasts.

Similar to Toxic, if UV heal doesn't require UV Block to be up, that's going to be a nice equalizer. Just depends on how it works.

I saw the PS4 Patch Notes, thankfully. I'm super-interested in the other notes, like, "Various Balancing Tweaks."

Here are some of the more important balancing tweaks that weren't detailed:

Groundpound:   Fixed not connecting after an interrupted pounce.  Fixed not connecting in shallow pools of water.  

Flare Damage to Nests:  Fixed flares causing major damage if it was somehow resting on a Nest.  Fixed Nests taking double damage when they are in a flare.

UV Light: Added a start-up cost for U.V. Flashlight.  Flicking your U.V. Light on and off repeatedly will drain it quicker than keeping it on.

Spit-Pounce Combo:  There is a short cooldown after a spit before the Hunter will be able to pounce.  No more Spitting and then instantly pouncing to lock your opponent in place.

Potions: Reduced the amount of "speed buff" and "damage mitigation buff" when using potions in BTZ. 

Med-Pack: Humans receive an additional med-pack every time they re-spawn. 

UV Light: Added a start-up cost for U.V. Flashlight.  Flicking your U.V. Light on and off repeatedly will drain it quicker than keeping it on.

To quote Starlord,

"They got my click message!"

(Seriously, that alone is such a great change.)

Groundpound: Fixed not connecting after an interrupted pounce. Fixed not connecting in shallow pools of water.

Flare Damage to Nests: Fixed flares causing major damage if it was somehow resting on a Nest. Fixed Nests taking double damage when they are in a flare.

UV Light: Added a start-up cost for U.V. Flashlight. Flicking your U.V. Light on and off repeatedly will drain it quicker than keeping it on.

Spit-Pounce Combo: There is a short cooldown after a spit before the Hunter will be able to pounce. No more Spitting and then instantly pouncing to lock your opponent in place.

Potions: Reduced the amount of "speed buff" and "damage mitigation buff" when using potions in BTZ.

Med-Pack: Humans receive an additional med-pack every time they re-spawn.

Thanks Pete. Nice to see most of the community suggestions made it through.

There is a short cooldown after a spit before the Hunter will be able to pounce.  No more Spitting and then instantly pouncing to lock your opponent in place.

I suppose this update is a big devs mistake. Now it is around impossible to spit experienced players, who know how to dodge. u have no 100% chance to spit good player even without cooldown.

I suppose this update is a big devs mistake. Now it is around impossible to spit experienced players, who know how to dodge. u have no 100% chance to spit good player even without cooldown.

Honestly, the way I play nowadays is just running at people and basically point-blank slapping them in the face with my Spit.

Immediately after a Ground Pound and after recovering from a Drop Kick (or when the Human is charging in an attempt to chain them) is also a great time to Spit. Just needs to be set up a little against Dodge-spammy guys.

I agree with spit confirm being taken out. Along with the new toxic spit it would be a dangerous combination. By the time you get out of the animation the toxic spit would have eaten half of your health away.

I agree with spit confirm being taken out. Along with the new toxic spit it would be a dangerous combination. By the time you get out of the animation the toxic spit would have eaten half of your health away.

Oh man, I wonder how fast it kills? Can you imagine how awesome it would be to see a Drop Kick coming, spit Toxic at your feet, and watch them die while stuck in the Drop-Kick recovery animation?

That would be sweet, juicy justice.

Oh man, I wonder how fast it kills? Can you imagine how awesome it would be to see a Drop Kick coming, spit Toxic at your feet, and watch them die while stuck in the Drop-Kick recovery animation?

That would be sweet, juicy justice.

Based on the preview example in the skills menu it takes about 5-6 seconds. They'll recover in time from a dropkick. They might cut it pretty close with a DfA (if you see that coming).

Also I found the answer to my previous question. It's one skill per mutation level. I'm going to update my post to reflect this.

Honestly, the way I play nowadays is just running at people and basically point-blank slapping them in the face with my Spit.

Immediately after a Ground Pound and after recovering from a Drop Kick (or when the Human is charging in an attempt to chain them) is also a great time to Spit. Just needs to be set up a little against Dodge-spammy guys.

Spit-UV-pounce-combo was a method, which require tens hours of permanent training, good concentration skills, reaction and brain. Dunno which game will be after the fix. Time will show.

Edited by boobafinno

I can't find a game, most survivors playing bozak are not invaded because btz is different right??? This 'patch' was way to late even if they offer it "FREE"...

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with matchmaking but it's hard to get into a game right now. Whenever it does start working things will definitely start getting interesting again.`

Groundpound:   Fixed not connecting after an interrupted pounce.  Fixed not connecting in shallow pools of water.  

Flare Damage to Nests:  Fixed flares causing major damage if it was somehow resting on a Nest.  Fixed Nests taking double damage when they are in a flare.

Spit-Pounce Combo:  There is a short cooldown after a spit before the Hunter will be able to pounce.  No more Spitting and then instantly pouncing to lock your opponent in place.

Med-Pack: Humans receive an additional med-pack every time they re-spawn. 

Nice!

Let me start out by saying that these changes are wonderful. Already seeing the effects of the UV click taking it's toll. The Night Hunter was in need of a work-over, and you gave him one. The new abilities look great!

Devs, you know I love you guys, right? You gave me a glow-in-the-dark shirt that I've worn 4 times already. Fits perfectly!

I love the mode, and I would never speak strictly ill of something if it didn't deserve attention... but making the Night Hunter reset to get these new skills was not a good idea.

I've been playing for about two hours now, and all I'm doing is, quite literally, farming noobs. I can't use the new abilities until I fill up my skills, but then I have to reset them again to get the second skill... and then again to get the third? The skills you've added are great, but they're not so powerful that they warrant three resets before you can use any of them. Once you fill up and actually get to acquire one, you're just resetting to get the next. I won't even get to touch the new skills for what I can assume will be a week of people-farming.

To illustrate how strange this is, I got Tackle first, over UV Spit or UV Block, because it's worth 100 points and the people I'm playing against have no idea what the UV Light or Survivor Sense is. Dragging out matches to Tackle a new player over and over again is not my, or their, idea of a good time.

And, honestly, these are the people I need to fight right now. I have no skills, and I need to level up as quickly as possible if I want to experience the new Night Hunter anytime soon. I can't be facing the toughies. It would be impossible, as my very first match (against people I'm quite familiar with) pointed out.

But the people I'm fighting, and the people all the other Apex Predators are fighting, can't be having fun with the mode getting farmed. And I'm just going to need to do it again for the second and third mutations? It's a ton of work that involves playing, quite frankly, dirty.

And it's slow to boot, considering Matchmaking is filled to the brim with 4/4 teams that, upon attempting to join, don't actually exist. Lots of the same names floating around Matchmaking for hours without the ability to connect to them.

If I was farming NPCs? To hell with'em. But I don't want to stall out other people just so it doesn't take me 3 weeks to experience the new Night Hunter skills. People are disconnecting left and right, and for once I don't blame them.

Yeah I still have yet to connect to a match. I've tried all day but nothing ever goes through.

I think they mentioned something about there being an issue with the patch so I'm just going to wait a bit and see if I can actually get a match. I was excited to show off my new night hunter skin :c

Yeah I still have yet to connect to a match. I've tried all day but nothing ever goes through.

I think they mentioned something about there being an issue with the patch so I'm just going to wait a bit and see if I can actually get a match. I was excited to show off my new night hunter skin :c

It's all scaly, and I believe the spine is bigger. It looks very cool during the Night Hunter cinematic! I was genuinely impressed that they were able to put the new skins in that kickass cinematic.

i think u guys get to excited over distractions. The same problems will im sure arise again in a couple weeks or and days quick fix the issue and solving them are two different things this my friends was not a solving situation not to mentions flare spamming is back

Yeah I still haven't had been able to get one match yet. I'll try later on today when I have some time to waste.

I just hope the potion nerf is enough to warrant not limiting the amount that can be used in a match period. 

potion still has an insane effect makes your melee and moves usless there speed is ungodly by far faster then your sprint with the speed boost weapon reach for humans seem to have increased as well as the dk lock on range im now getting pulled back bieng idk 40meters from them or so its just stupid again techland u dont listen to your fans you came on this forum and just added new skills and ignored the suggestions uv light still insane you maybe able to someone run from it now but its still just stupid i feel like this company is just take advantage of poeple and sending these well needed quick patchs and sell them in dlc content so wait your telling me the things that you should have already had fixed known about it as well and has told us about the bugs and re assured us that they were there to make us not spam or abuse hunter lmfao seem right from the start of BTZ they wanted to make the hunter weak THIS GAMES RETARDED you can save it and thats what keeps me here i want the good version of this not this chupacabra