Sign in to follow this  
Rabid Squirrel

Forcing Navmesh On An Area

Hey there,

I was wondering if it is possible to force Navmesh onto an area. I have areas with a lot of grass on the floor and the Navmesh is not being built in those areas. Which means the zombies just end up standing in the grassy areas and doing nothing.

I have tried messing around with the Navmesh tools, and Navmesh enforcer seems to be giving the effect that I want, however for some reason it removes all the previously built Navmesh from the area.

Thanks in Advance,

Squirrel.

The best way is to fix problem, not use some enforcers and hacks.

First of all, check wheather your map is inside map grid. To show map grid go to Optimization menu and Show Objects Grid. If your map is not in the grid - resize grid in level attributes.

Open Objects window, go to very top and select level. Next in Attributes window go to Terrain tab and in objects grid sizes section change values for X, Y, Z fields.

If this will not help, we will try to find other solutions to this problem. You should use NavMesh enforcer only if it is necessary.

Also attach some screenshot of area without navmesh.

Some objects come pre-configured to block navigation, such as the much-used fall_amortizer_garbage_bag_b, found under decorations and preconfigured by Techland.  The objects in that collection all block navigation, from the garbage bags to the rubber tire models.  If you "duplicate eds file" and open the new group you can go in and edit that setting in each model's settings.  FYI, once the group is open you can select all the models in that group and collectively edit their settings.  Just uncheck navmesh impassible on the Fields tab.

Reference images:

https://gyazo.com/f8a40093aa16047782484f3734a49eda

https://gyazo.com/cb3dfea24aed4ab5002efeaefbc812e9

The best way is to fix problem, not use some enforcers and hacks.

First of all, check wheather your map is inside map grid. To show map grid go to Optimization menu and Show Objects Grid. If your map is not in the grid - resize grid in level attributes.

Open Objects window, go to very top and select level. Next in Attributes window go to Terrain tab and in objects grid sizes section change values for X, Y, Z fields.

If this will not help, we will try to find other solutions to this problem. You should use NavMesh enforcer only if it is necessary.

Also attach some screenshot of area without navmesh.

Hey there, thanks for the replies.

I think the main issue I am having is not that the items aren't in the Navmesh grid, but rather that the grass model is navmesh impassible as dalewb said because the Navmesh works fine on a small pathway that I left in the grass and on areas that don't have the grass. (Probably because I placed the grass and some other foliage and grouped it together in a .eds).

So I think the next question I have is: If I modify one of my grass .eds groups and save it does it then change the characteristics of all of the same .eds groups (duplicates that I made)?

Follow up question: How do I get Navmesh to work on Catwalks and Scaffolding?

Thanks in Advance,

Squirrel.

Hey there, thanks for the replies.

I think the main issue I am having is not that the items aren't in the Navmesh grid, but rather that the grass model is navmesh impassible as dalewb said because the Navmesh works fine on a small pathway that I left in the grass and on areas that don't have the grass. (Probably because I placed the grass and some other foliage and grouped it together in a .eds).

So I think the next question I have is: If I modify one of my grass .eds groups and save it does it then change the characteristics of all of the same .eds groups (duplicates that I made)?

Follow up question: How do I get Navmesh to work on Catwalks and Scaffolding?

Thanks in Advance,

Squirrel.

Yes, changing anything in a group will affect every instance of that group (it changes the file itself).

Use +NavMeshHelper to place nav mesh boxes where you want nav meshes, then hit build & save or Build only near camera

Then hit the load button to see if ti worked.  I'm not sure, but it seems the load button only loads navmeshes close to the camera.

Yes, changing anything in a group will affect every instance of that group (it changes the file itself).

Use +NavMeshHelper to place nav mesh boxes where you want nav meshes, then hit build & save or Build only near camera

Then hit the load button to see if ti worked.  I'm not sure, but it seems the load button only loads navmeshes close to the camera.

First try to check NavMesh Connect flag in Attributes of specific mesh. If this will not help, then try with NavMeshHelper.

Cool,

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll give it a try and see what I come up with.

Hey all,

So I managed to sort the issue by opening the grass/foliage group (.eds) that I had made and setting all those objects at 'Navmesh Transparent'. Once I did that suddenly the Navmesh filled up all the spaces that I was struggling with.

Thanks for all the Help, 

Squirrel.