Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huckster

Advanced Tips For Hunters

15 posts in this topic

As everyone already knows the Hunter is currently underpowered when facing off against a good Survivor. Perhaps the future patch (for the console) will level the playing field a tad but for now the best a Hunter can do is hope the Survivor(s) commits enough mistakes to ensure a win. So, with that in mind, I wanted to create a thread on some advanced techniques that may help any aspiring Hunter or veteran Hunter who may find some of these tips a useful addition in their tools against a Survivor. Feel free to share some advanced techniques that you may have discovered as well, along with some feedback.

Divide and confuse

So your facing off against a group of 4 people and they stick relatively close. Not close enough for a ground pound smash, but not far apart enough to pick one off. What to do? You can try launching a horde spit into the group, but they can easily dodge it. So what now?

-Simply launch yourself into the fray

-UV block in order to have your energy up at full while they're more then likely spraying you with light

-Shoot a horde spit near one of the survivors. It doesn't have to hit him dead on. Just make sure the spit lands near him. He will obviously attempt to dodge.

-Pounce on him. If you had your UV shield on, you should be able to pounce. The pounce will of course fail because he or someone else nearby interrupted the pounce with their light. However, because you launched a pounce on the person with a spit land nearby he/she will not be able to dodge the spit in time.

-Retreat. You should have ample time to tendril out (or if needed use another shield) and now observe who to pray on.

The whole point of this method is an attempt to fracture and most importantly confuse the team. Try to pick off a rogue survivor who has strayed too far away from the group because of the Zombie Horde. Try to pounce on any survivor who has a momentary lapse in concentration because he's too distracted by the Hordes on his screen. Try to finish off a survivor who has actually died from the Zombie Horde. Here are a couple videos of this technique in action.

-4:48 First Horde Spit. Managed only 1 kill, but as every Hunter knows, every kill counts. Take what you can. 

-6:24 Another Horde Spit. Got one while he attempted to grapple away to high ground. One luckily got taken out from a Zombie Horde and the other was by his lonesome and finished him off with a ground pound smash.

-10:10 Last horde spit/pounce move. I was forced to use my UV shield in order to evade pursuit.

This technique is of course not without flaws. You won't be able to sustain your offensive if you play for example in 1 v 1 or even 2 v 1. You simply do not have the required CD to press forward. Unfortunately this method works best in 3 v 1 and up. They can catch on to what I am doing and simply charge their weapons and strike at me when I roll off a survivor after an unsuccessful pounce. They can already have high ground and simply wait for the Horde to vanish. Keep mindful of these situations and act accordingly. Pounce on a survivor who is furthest away from the group, thereby avoiding a charged attack. Be patient and wait for survivor(s) to climb down from a high ground or go in and ground pound them off the high ground in the hopes the horde will finish them off.

Here is one last vid of this technique in action with a pretty tough group. At one point they decide to pause and simply hang around the nest (I failed twice to land my spits because a blasted tree was in my way. :-/). They paid the price eventually.

Jumping /Tendriling / Grappling

So you're facing a situation where there's one guy at your nest, separated from his buddies and you need to kill him fast before his teammates arrive. Only problem is you have zip spits. None will be ready in time.  Only thing you have is 1 UV shield loaded up. What do you do? Sometimes the simplest methods can work.

-Jump in and get close enough as possible before his lights starts draining your energy.

-Activate Shield

-Jump and angle yourself in a position where you can pounce behind your opponent and done. Here are a couple of videos demonstrating this technique (I'll simply highlight at which point the jumping techniques work within each video)

-1:56 The guy got anxious and perhaps faced off against one too many crappy hunters. Sure he didn't expect that.

-2:46 Decided to go for it again. Solo no less. Managed to get behind him and pounce.

Here I utilize tendril in order to get a good angle on opponents.

-3:30 A team of OHK weapons (PS4). I managed to work around him by launching myself in back of him via tendril and pouncing.

-8:58 One survivor is camouflaged. Same technique as before. Shield, tendril in back and pounce.

I wait for survivors to grapple toward the roof top. Usually they assume that grappling directly in front of you will prevent any pounces, since their UV light will shine right at you. In order to work around this problem either:

-0:23 angle yourself in order to jump to the side of them as they are grappling to pounce.

-1:16 Or if you have a shield, simply activate shield, jump over him as he is grappling and pounce. Works most of the time.

The great benefit with this simple technique is how you can sometimes get away with a free pounce. At times when a survivor sees you activate your shield, their guard will be let down, ceasing from spamming their UV light, perhaps in the assumption I am closing in for a melee attack or simply because they are aware that their UV Light will have no affect on you for the moment. Even if you do not manage to acquire the correct angle to pounce you may be able to succeed anyway because they are not spamming their light. I've been able to get away with successful pounces even when I wasn't able to get the correct angle. 

The flaws with this method is eventually they may simply dodge backwards repeatedly to avoid you from getting behind them or worse drop kick you away. The former is difficult to overcome. The best one can manage is to leap towards the survivor when he is in a cramped environment and hope he won't be able to dodge away. The latter actually can work in your favor because a failed drop kick (which happens a lot when your jumping around) makes for easy pickings.

UV Spit/Pounce

So here's another situation. You have 1 survivor who just revived. You need to kill this guy asap in order to keep up with the survivors but so far you've barely been able to get a good angle on this guy for a pounce via jumping. He dodges like crazy if you launch a UV spit in his direction. You have 2 UV spits ready for a ground pound smash but you have enough foresight to know that you will need that extra UV spit very soon. What do you do? Try the first method mentioned earlier concerning Horde spit, just now of course replace it with UV spit.

-Charge in and activate UV shield. Preferably you want to come in from above.

-Launch your UV spit towards your opponent. Make sure it lands as close as possible to him. (If it manages to stick on him, great. You got a free kill)

-He'll of course dodge like crazy away. Pounce. The pounce will be interrupted most likely, but he will not be able to dodge your spit.

-Depending on his skill level he will either:

A)Charge towards you in an attempt to kill you, which you can just tendril away and pounce.

B)He is a decent player who will fumble about and try to activate his flare. By the time he is ready to throw down his flare you will be ready to pounce. (most of the time)

C)He is an expert player who will almost immediately have his flare out. Wait for the right moment and ground pound just as he is launching the flare (extinguishing his flare) and pounce.

-8:20 I launch my attack and manage to hit him with my UV spit after I interrupt his dodge attempt. He manages to throw down a flare. I ground pound, extinguish and pounce.

-7:45 An example of just letting your guard down. I activate my shield and launch my spit. He stops shinning his UV light on me. I pounce and succeed without having to proceed with the other steps. Sometimes you just get lucky.

The flaws with this method are having to deal with melee from a survivor,, while you wait for the little bit of energy that depleted to return in order to pounce. Even tendriling away may be too little too late if he got some good hits on you. Facing off against an expert player who can drop down his flares on demand will be tough. Unless you somehow weren't drained of enough energy when your pounce was interrupted more then likely he will have his flare out in time before you can land your pounce. Performing a ground pound along the fringes of where he dropped his flare may work but you run the risk of him dodging your ground pound and going in for a charged kill or he simply dodges and throws down another flare. At this point you either try and go melee and hope for the best or retreat and concede defeat.

I hope some of these tips are useful. I know some players here may have already discovered these methods themselves while experimenting in pvp. If so, I just wish to spread the techniques in order to give some hunters here a fighting chance against Survivors.

I agree, while the Night Hunter can be very deadly when you develop  strategies, it's not like new players, or even veterans have a place to practice; the lobby area is chupacabra, and you can't really practice without some friends. A combined thread would allow new and old players to learn new strategies, and become better. 

The other day I was playing (as the hunter) and I found myself in a few sticky situations with one or two survivors and (accidentally) figured out something that works. Granted, if there was more than one survivor this strategy often ended in death, but it also occasionally gets a kill.
What I found was you can activate your UV shield then drop near a survivor with a ground pound ready. If they're not the brightest survivor, they'll try to take you down then. That's when you release the ground pound and their light, if it's on, will go off, allowing you to pounce them in the air. Again, if  there are other survivors around, this can often end in death, but even if it does you may get an easier kill.

Again, not the best strategy, but whatever works I guess.

Survivor Sense > Any tip

If you honestly believe this, you are playing BtZ wrong and relying too much on Pounce.

Back on topic: I've made an advanced guide with strategies and such on YouTube. Way too many people complain that a Hunter is useless. 

Is not that, yours videos are good and everything, but the true is the true, survivor sense own pro or noob hunters...anyway, back to your topic, good videos 👠makes me want to play BTZ again but :-/ meh HTZ is better at the moment

Thank you for taking the time to write out these tips and strategies but there's huge issues with all of them. It's now more or less to late in the game for someone to come in with a unleveled hunter and do any of them with any success of any kind.

For example: the very first tip on the very first post. My UV block last for less then a second. And takes nearly 3 minutes to regenerate.

Because of the huge disadvantage I have no way to level up. I have tried every tip on this page but die any time I get near a survivor and forced to sit in the void and watch a nest die while I'm at it

Thank you for taking the time to write out these tips and strategies but there's huge issues with all of them. It's now more or less to late in the game for someone to come in with a unleveled hunter and do any of them with any success of any kind.

For example: the very first tip on the very first post. My UV block last for less then a second. And takes nearly 3 minutes to regenerate.

Because of the huge disadvantage I have no way to level up. I have tried every tip on this page but die any time I get near a survivor and forced to sit in the void and watch a nest die while I'm at it

the issue with that is i started a second hunter i lost my first match then won my next 5 second match was against a flare spammer as well it wasnt to hard at level 3 you can win as a low level with enough skill if your on xbox i can teach you some tatics that will help you a bit against survivors

It's tough starting off as a low level hunter. The best you can do is focusing on just getting as much XP per game. Don't worry on winning. Chances are, you won't win unless you're facing an exceptionally bad Survivor or rookie player. Each kill, ground pound, pounce, spit stick etc will net you XP. It can just be a bit tedious. Try checking your opponents Survivor levels before proceeding with a game also. If you see 25/24/24 or numbers close to this, I suggest you back out. Try and find games with rookie opponents or be in a team with at least 1 rookie survivor and stick with him like glue. Like Darkwolf, I also offer my services if you happen to play on PS4.

Also thumbs up to BrowithFro on the great video tutorial. Enjoyed it and hope others found it useful.

Edited by Huckster

It's tough starting off as a low level hunter. The best you can do is focusing on just getting as much XP per game. Don't worry on winning. Chances are, you won't win unless you're facing an exceptionally bad Survivor or rookie player. Each kill, ground pound, pounce, spit stick etc will net you XP. It can just be a bit tedious. Try checking your opponents Survivor levels before proceeding with a game also. If you see 25/24/24 or numbers close to this, I suggest you back out. Try and find games with rookie opponents or be in a team with at least 1 rookie survivor and stick with him like glue. Like Darkwolf, I also offer my services if you happen to play on PS4.

Also thumbs up to BrowithFro on the great video tutorial. Enjoyed it and hope others found it useful.

i test anyone who joins my game(random invasion) by destroying the first 9 and half nests if they stick around for that i offer to show them some tips to be the night hunter if they do a pounce on me when i offer i kill them and destroy last nest 

maybe on console this works but with pcs 100percent tracking its impossible to get away from thos uv lights

How? Is it set to automatically follow the hunter without any input from the user?

It's hard to escape the UV light on any platform because of range and duration. However if you make use of UV suppressors and UV block you'll have an easier time getting away.

Edited by jcks

How? Is it set to automatically follow the hunter without any input from the user?

It's hard to escape the UV light on any platform because of range and duration. However if you make use of UV suppressors and UV block you'll have an easier time getting away.

I think I know what dasorrow means. Personally, I play on PS4, so dasorrow, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I once saw a video of a survivor who I believe was playing on PC. It seems as though it's a lot easier to spam survivor sense on a keyboard than it is on a controller. Stack that with the fact that it tracks for about 5 seconds and I could see your problem.

Again, not sure if that's true, but I feel like it makes sense to me.

I know you can set the key to automatically fire every 2 seconds but that doesn't make it drastically different from consoles as he's implying. He makes it sound as if entire game mechanics were changed just for the pc version when that is not the case.