Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ideasman22

Hellraid's Combat Is Not Looking Good.

9 posts in this topic

Please let players at least choose which direction to swing their weapon with power attacks. I know how hard it is to get a combat system right, look at Dark Messiah. They did everything perfectly and the game was only made 8 years ago. 

But I can certainly see why you'd opt for Oblivion/Skyrim combat. Look at how much everybody loved the combat in that! /sarcasm

I totally agree. 

Since I played Chivalry Medival Warefare all games with non-directional swinging suck.

The dismemberment in Chivalry is great. Techland you should bring something in that way for Hellraid.

Dying Light is close to be disappointing in that sector. Its a good game, but you should definitly bringt that in:

directional swinging combined with desmemberment

Oh hey, that's JUST the point I just brought up on the STEAM forums, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

But yes, directional power attacks are kind of sort of important for targetting specific body parts. Which is important for "fun with dismemberment". WITHOUT directional power attacks, the guy with the lightning staff or a similar instrument has a better way of targetting specific points on the target's body than the melee fighter.

I personally like the style, reminds me of Heretic I & II from the DOS game days. I was googling older games like Heretic II and this popped up. I have been craving something like this myself with the updated graphics of course. Keep up the great work Techland can't wait to play this game.

-B

I totally agree. Picking attack directions is what I was AT LEAST expecting from this game. That'd add so much more depth and skill to the combat. I do not want a game where you mindlessly tap and swing in whatever direction like in Skyrim. You have no idea how disappointing it is to have things like that missing in games created years after other games that did.

Looking at you, Dark Messiah. Hellraid would be wise to learn from that game..

Edited by Draulius

Directional combat is fun for pvp but i don't think it is necessary for Hellraid pve. Of course it gives you a different playstyle depending on the weapon instead of looking at stats and say well this weapon does more dmg than the one i have so it is better. A lot of games have this kind of depth, dark souls, chivalry and even reign of kings have it. Mostly i think people want from a weapon is is an arc swing attack, a thrust attack and power attack to break the guard of an enemy. Spells could get the same treatment i suppose. Regular cast, charged up cast, maybe even combining different elements with 1 spell in each hand or maybe 2 players casting a spell in a area which would combine the 2. Of course if those changes requires the delay for the game it would suck. A lot of us are waiting for this game. 

All i care about is a furfilling singleplayer experience that i can share in coop. I loved dying light, it was very well done with a lot of polish so i hope hellraid has the same kind of excellence. 

This is really my main concern for this game actually.

Game already looks great and the environments surprisingly unique in some areas. 

But if it's just a back and forward counter-swing fest with no variation per weapon,

It's appeal would loos fairly fast.

The main thing I think this game needs is weighted swings.

So that you can't float around like a cloud with a giant hammer only getting in range when the hammer is in hit mode.

If the weapons perform as the look like they should it will be a huge step up from Skyrim and even Chivalry.

I am also concerned about directional swing, and im hoping the combat will not just be a port of the dying light system. DL system is good because the running aspect adds a lot of dynamic, but in a game primarily melee combat focused the DL combat system would not be enough to keep the combat fresh.

I like to see there are other people waiting for the next dark messiah experience.