Zombiehunter488

Disappointed.

43 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

this will probably my first and last post on these forums.

I have to say this game looked really promising - still does - but the more I read about it (on these forums too) the more disappointed I got. And the delays surely didnt help.

You see, I am a coop player and I really looked forward to playing this game with my friends. A few weeks ago when I saw that new trailer me and my friends noticed something odd - all players had the same face, were the same character. We shrugged it off but I kept researching and apparently this is a thing now. One playable character - no other guys or let alone female characters to choose from. This is a HUGE letdown.

I understand that you want to make a story about a specific guy. Okay. So be it. But then add at least other playable characters for coop (especially a female character, AC got tons of chupacabra for not including them), just one guy is not acceptable. This bugs us so much that we cancelled our pre-orders and will probably buy it on a steam sale for -75% off instead. Seriously, 4 guys running around with the same face (yes I know, you can customize, who cares) is a HUGE mood killer. That's really something you would see in some chupacabra indie-game that gets sold on Steam for 5 bucks, and not even then.

Then there's other things. Whenever someone brings in an idea that people want but it's too much effort, you simply say "it would probably change gameplay too much" (cutting off legs) or "it doesn't fit the game" (defense missions). These are just examples, there are other things I noticed.

The real reason for all these things is probably just lazy programming and not much else, and I (well, we) will not support this as a full-price title.

That being said, the game will be fun either way, but like I said, it's these details that make a game stand out and from what I have seen, Dying Light cannot provide them.

Why, Techland?

It's okay. I will buy 3 extra copies for my friends. That should cancel out those pre-order cancels. :')

But really. I suppose you'll have to wait till the price goes down. Though i don't think it will really affect Techland, because the majority will still buy it on day 1.

Tough luck. :/

It's okay. I will buy 3 extra copies for my friends. That should cancel out those pre-order cancels. :')

But really. I suppose you'll have to wait till the price goes down. Though i don't think it will really affect Techland, because the majority will still buy it on day 1.

Tough luck. :/

Exactly the reason why videogames have become progressively worse over the last decade. Like lemmings buying everything no matter how incomplete/bad it is, of course the next time devs will put even less effort into a game if they can get away with it. Just look at Call of Duty (not that DL will be that bad but you get my point).

Exactly the reason why videogames have become progressively worse over the last decade. Like lemmings buying everything no matter how incomplete/bad it is, of course the next time devs will put even less effort into a game if they can get away with it. Just look at Call of Duty (not that DL will be that bad but you get my point).

It's not that games have gotten worse. It is because we, (and yes, also you,) have become very spoiled when it comes to games. Expecting more and more and more and more.  

Video games become bad when people want more in a game than is actually put in, its about the quality not the quantity of whats in it. And the fact that everyone thinks ever game "needs" multiplayer/coop and if they game is going to add multiplayer/coop then it need to do this, this and that.

Video games become bad when people want more in a game than is actually put in, its about the quality not the quantity of whats in it. And the fact that everyone thinks ever game "needs" multiplayer/coop and if they game is going to add multiplayer/coop then it need to do this, this and that.

I agree with you. Look at the new Wolfenstein game. That game only had single-player, yet i thought it was an amazing game.

I kind of get what the OP is trying to say.

While it did bother me a little when i noticed all 4 co-op players were gonna be the same guy, i still had the idea customization was gonna make it seem like 4 different guys onscreen... that's when it hit me...

Unless there will be hundreds of options in-game to change our character's look... sooner or later you will run into someone that looks like you. I mean, as far as I've seen in the demos (which doesn't necessarily confirm or deny the option will or wont be there), i would like to think that customization will NOT be a very big part of the game, and that it will be very limited (maybe only at the beginning, with no way of changing your appearance once the game starts)

So far the only options i'm looking forward to or that should be basic choices are skin color, shirt color, pants/shorts color, sunglasses, face mask, hoodie/sweatshirt with a hood, shoe color, and hairstyles (limited).

i'm getting the feeling those will be the only options for you at the start of your adventure... why?... not because of "lazy devs", but because the way you look isn't the main focus of the game.

I mean, sure, it was fun having 4 different playable characters in Dead Island, but even then things got silly when all 4 players were running around with Sam B.

One thing i do wish they had included though, a female character. That would give us twice the options for our character's look.

In the end, while i understand what the OP was trying to point out, i find it to be only a small "problem" with the game. Hey, i could care less about customization as long as we get the game we are all looking forward to.

If the options allow it, I know i will be running around a light-brown dude with my pink shirt, bright green shorts, purple shoes sunglasses, and "Justin Bieber" hair xD

I'll see you guys there, hahah

I dont know why they wontmake it like other games that you have different characters, but the same story. I dont know if it is difficult to change the name and the person in the "videos" like destiny. They just call you the same way, but in the "videos" they also have different voices. I think it would be the best way, to make most people happy, but it doesnt bother me that much.

Main idea: different people same story

Major disappointment about female character, or rather the lack thereof.  It's not like it's difficult to write a story that fits regardless of gender or use a gender-neutral name, so I assume it was money as usual.  One less sale then.

More then likely Dead Island 2 will be alot better than Dying Light. I mean it's quite funny and ironic that Techland have delayed Dying Light for so long an yet you play as the same character online in co-op lol. I mean at least Dead Island 2 you have abit of a different selection to choose from and to top it off it's an eight player co-op compared to dying lights four player co-op.

More then likely Dead Island 2 will be alot better than Dying Light. I mean it's quite funny and ironic that Techland have delayed Dying Light for so long an yet you play as the same character online in co-op lol. I mean at least Dead Island 2 you have abit of a different selection to choose from and to top it off it's an eight player co-op compared to dying lights four player co-op.

I don't see how that is ironic, especially because those two are not related in any way. And as for the co-op. I'm more of a quality before quantity kind of person. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :)

They are a small dev studio and probably do not have the time and resources to make and QA multiple characters before release. Dying Light and Dead Island will be 2 very different experiences. It's like Battlefield and Call of Duty. Both are FPS military shooters, but they play totally different. Gamers that are looking for something deeper will sway towards Dying Light. Gamers that want something lighter will want Dead Island 2. 

Just wanted to give an answer to the original OP, ie why only males in 4 player co-op. 

In Dying Light, we decided to tell the story from a perspective of one single character - Kyle Crane. As a player, you take on the role of Kyle. Our story is about him, and how his background and personality will affect the happenings in the quarantine zone. 

Now, the Kyle that you develop in the single player campaign is the same one that you will use in your multiplayer session - his skills, perks, etc will be the same in single as well as multi-player games.
So when you join a multiplayer session, you are taking your character with you, hence the reason why everyone on the co-op team will be a male. 

I hope that this helps you out and explains the issue. 

Just wanted to give an answer to the original OP, ie why only males in 4 player co-op.

In Dying Light, we decided to tell the story from a perspective of one single character - Kyle Crane. As a player, you take on the role of Kyle. Our story is about him, and how his background and personality will affect the happenings in the quarantine zone.

Now, the Kyle that you develop in the single player campaign is the same one that you will use in your multiplayer session - his skills, perks, etc will be the same in single as well as multi-player games.

So when you join a multiplayer session, you are taking your character with you, hence the reason why everyone on the co-op team will be a male.

I hope that this helps you out and explains the issue.

You dont need to answer if you repeat yourself over and over again. (I dont want to attack you. Youre doing a great job out here, but it is annoying to read basically the same answer again and again)

You dont need to answer if you repeat yourself over and over again. (I dont want to attack you. Youre doing a great job out here, but it is annoying to read basically the same answer again and again)

What he does is the right thing, and not only that. He's getting payed to do so. We will just have to deal with it. :3

The Dying Light page indicates that there will be customization options for each character.  The trailers seem to indicate that to be outfits and such.

Either way, I'm not to riled up about this.  Yes, it'd be nice if we'd have full character customization but I guess that's not a priority for Techland.

The Dying Light page indicates that there will be customization options for each character.  The trailers seem to indicate that to be outfits and such.

Either way, I'm not to riled up about this.  Yes, it'd be nice if we'd have full character customization but I guess that's not a priority for Techland.

At least we are getting some customization. Think about all the games that have zero customization. Farcry games and such included.

Hello guys,

this will probably my first and last post on these forums.

Why, Techland?

If this is the case, I have no clue why you expect any reply.

You see, I am a coop player and I really looked forward to playing this game with my friends. A few weeks ago when I saw that new trailer me and my friends noticed something odd - all players had the same face, were the same character. We shrugged it off but I kept researching and apparently this is a thing now. One playable character - no other guys or let alone female characters to choose from. This is a HUGE letdown.

I understand that you want to make a story about a specific guy. Okay. So be it. But then add at least other playable characters for coop (especially a female character, AC got tons of chupacabra for not including them), just one guy is not acceptable. This bugs us so much that we cancelled our pre-orders and will probably buy it on a steam sale for -75% off instead. Seriously, 4 guys running around with the same face (yes I know, you can customize, who cares) is a HUGE mood killer. That's really something you would see in some chupacabra indie-game that gets sold on Steam for 5 bucks, and not even then.

No thank you, I do not need token female characters as if Dying Linger should be some sort of 90's kids show fallowing some sort of diversity cheaklist. Would Romeo and Julient really have been better if they shoe horned in a transgendered fellow? No. . . I find that your line of reasoning poor.

That being said, after seeing the first trailer, I did expect co-op players to be at least reskined.

Then there's other things. Whenever someone brings in an idea that people want but it's too much effort, you simply say "it would probably change gameplay too much" (cutting off legs) or "it doesn't fit the game" (defense missions). These are just examples, there are other things I noticed.

The real reason for all these things is probably just lazy programming and not much else, and I (well, we) will not support this as a full-price title.

Meh, such is life, I think it might be late to start changing things now.

I guess, since some missions control the time of day, you could have day-time base defending missions. Sunset Overdrive is a game about (kinda) zombies while being a movement focused game. Personly, I don't like the missions in which you have to defend while moving since it forces you to leave the area that needs defending. I just don't see how a game build around limited combat and heavy movement would create good base defending missions. . .

Edited by Sohisohi

I hope you can customize Kyle to some point. But it really isnt necessary. Lots of games make it into the big leagues with little to no customization. But its always nice to have some. Chill, guys, its going to be awesome, customization or not :)

I have to say playing as the same character does not make a difference on if the game is worth buying.  From the gameplay trailers it looks like exactly what I would want to buy and play with my friends.  I want a game where I can bash zombie brains and chop off their limbs.  This game looks like an awesome game where I can bash zombie brains and chop off their limbs.  It is played in first person so you will never see your character while playing. (Maybe in a cut scene but most of us skip them anyway.) 

For the one person I read that said "this type of laziness (having only one playable character) is ruining the game industry".  You are ruining the game community by weighing the success of the game as letting you create a blonde chick to bash zombie skulls.  I suppose Mario on the NES ruined the game industry for you as well as you can only play as a male plumber.  No offense to the female plumbers out there. 

All in all look at the games that came out for the next gen systems.  Destiny was one of the biggest hits-lol.  A game where you all in the end have the same armor and gameplay that lets you run in a circle to farm materials.  A game that didn't want to push back the launch date so it wrapped up the in game content to sell as DLC.  I am glad Techland pushed back the launch date to work on polishing their product.  Dead Island, even though it was buggy as hell, was one of my favorite ps3 games to run with friends.  All the bugs from that game even gave us all a saying when another game drops connection or bugs out that we got "Dead Island'ed". 

For those of you that are boycotting this game because you can't play as a female... wtf... Seriously that is the game changer for you to be a female and continually press the jump button to jerk off to a female jumping voice? Go buy a Twilight DVD you will have all the "ugghhhs", "aww's", and "Pff's" from K. Stewart's female voice.

Techland keep up the good work.  Even if this game comes out with chupacabra reviews, from the actual evidence of gameplay shown I know I would be able to run around for hours drop kicking zombies off the roofs.  If there was only a way we could tie up zombies and take them to higher places in the game to drop kick them off off...:)

I have to say playing as the same character does not make a difference on if the game is worth buying.  From the gameplay trailers it looks like exactly what I would want to buy and play with my friends.  I want a game where I can bash zombie brains and chop off their limbs.  This game looks like an awesome game where I can bash zombie brains and chop off their limbs.  It is played in first person so you will never see your character while playing. (Maybe in a cut scene but most of us skip them anyway.) 

For the one person I read that said "this type of laziness (having only one playable character) is ruining the game industry".  You are ruining the game community by weighing the success of the game as letting you create a blonde chick to bash zombie skulls.  I suppose Mario on the NES ruined the game industry for you as well as you can only play as a male plumber.  No offense to the female plumbers out there. 

All in all look at the games that came out for the next gen systems.  Destiny was one of the biggest hits-lol.  A game where you all in the end have the same armor and gameplay that lets you run in a circle to farm materials.  A game that didn't want to push back the launch date so it wrapped up the in game content to sell as DLC.  I am glad Techland pushed back the launch date to work on polishing their product.  Dead Island, even though it was buggy as hell, was one of my favorite ps3 games to run with friends.  All the bugs from that game even gave us all a saying when another game drops connection or bugs out that we got "Dead Island'ed". 

For those of you that are boycotting this game because you can't play as a female... wtf... Seriously that is the game changer for you to be a female and continually press the jump button to jerk off to a female jumping voice? Go buy a Twilight DVD you will have all the "ugghhhs", "aww's", and "Pff's" from K. Stewart's female voice.

Techland keep up the good work.  Even if this game comes out with chupacabra reviews, from the actual evidence of gameplay shown I know I would be able to run around for hours drop kicking zombies off the roofs.  If there was only a way we could tie up zombies and take them to higher places in the game to drop kick them off off... :)

Sorry first thing you made my laugh thanks for that back on topic. Second some gamers who might be girls or guys may wan't to play as one no argument there. But then there are the SJW'S social justice warriors who just want women in because they think they are not represented. But there are lots of strong females in games Samus Aran to name one.

Guys, you know you can change the clothes and armor in the game right? some of you will think "big deal, it doesn't change it that much"  but if you look at Eb games (game-stop) dying light Day Night edition, you would see it comes with 2 DLC skins, which might be entirely new skins or just armor, it says skin but it blacks out any skin so you can't tell at this point, also many of the clothes and armors in the game will drastically change how you look.

why is it such a huge, game braking problem that the players look slightly similar in co-op? i honestly couldn't care less about that, as long as the game is fun, right?

Guys, you know you can change the clothes and armor in the game right? some of you will think "big deal, it doesn't change it that much"  but if you look at Eb games (game-stop) dying light Day Night edition, you would see it comes with 2 DLC skins, which might be entirely new skins or just armor, it says skin but it blacks out any skin so you can't tell at this point, also many of the clothes and armors in the game will drastically change how you look.

why is it such a huge, game braking problem that the players look slightly similar in co-op? i honestly couldn't care less about that, as long as the game is fun, right?

When did they add the skin offer?. I know they added the weapons not to long ago.

Edited by Uncle Pappy