Michał Napora

The Official Modding Tools Thread

152 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

Today we want to announce omething really special - we are creating our own set of Modding Tools.

We're all in awe of some of the modds we've seen so far - the drop kick that send the zombies into the sky is nuts. It's amazing to see what you guys are able to come up with.

Soon, you'll be able to create your own version of a zombie outbreak. We've been working on a set of Modding Tools for some time, but we would also love to hear your thoughts on the issue. 

So, tell us what would you like to see in our modding tools. What would you like to create with it? What would you like to do with them? 

Give us your thoughts right here below in the comments section. 

We're hoping to support the creations you make, so please, let us know what you would like in there, and let's create something special together. 

Hi guys, 

Today we want to announce omething really special - we are creating our own set of Modding Tools.

We're all in awe of some of the modds we've seen so far - the drop kick that send the zombies into the sky is nuts. It's amazing to see what you guys are able to come up with.

Soon, you'll be able to create your own version of a zombie outbreak. We've been working on a set of Modding Tools for some time, but we would also love to hear your thoughts on the issue. 

So, tell us what would you like to see in our modding tools. What would you like to create with it? What would you like to do with them? 

We're hoping to support the creations you make, so please, let us know what you would like in there, and let's create something special together. 

A Map editor would be awesome!

PS. I have not bought dying light but I am heavily considering it due to the fact that you support modding now :D

Edited by HeadClot

Not sure what sort of tools you are looking at creating or how robust but the ability to modify stats on existing mobs and import new ones would be awesome.  Importing new weapon models as well as static/interactives for a map editor would be nice as well - also the ability to edit drop tables and stat ranges (I assume chests randomize the loot you pull based on tables and ranges).

A Map editor would be awesome!

PS. I have not bought dying light but I am heavily considering it due to the fact that you support modding now :D

A map editor would be excellent. It would keep the game very very fresh. 

Ability perhaps to make our own weapons also.

Make our own missions/tasks. So the playthroughs aren't the same every time.

More multiplayer modes; survival. etc

Aside from that...

My suggestion would be to make the tools as accessible and as moddable as possible. Make it easy for people to edit the game. Looking at the kinds of things people have done with things like GTA IV (very poor moddability), then look at something as moddable as Skyrim; if you could get somewhere in the middle (I know asking you to make the game as moddable as Skyrim would be a big ask), we'd all be VERY happy. This could very well be a game I play indefinitely; it could be the zombie Skyrim for me.

Oh holy cow I totally forgot!  Steamworks integration would be awesome :D  I love nexus I truly do, but I also feel that steamworks brings in people who aren't familiar with nexus. 

Hi guys, 

This could be great, but my first question is, will the modding tools only be available on the PC platform? 

This could be great, but my first question is, will the modding tools only be available on the PC platform? 

that's kinda obvious it won't happen on limited consoles, they are already at their performance peak when running unmodded version.

Anyway, any chance for additional multiplayer gamemodes ? And making it possible to create new ones ? :)

This features would be awesome:

-wallrun (would totally give an awesome new feeling to gameplay)

-huge diversity of new big-chupacabra zombies

-arena tournaments (PVP, boss fights, wave-after-wave-action etc.)

-placeable gadgets/traps/bases

-new guns (sniper,bow,chainsaw,flamethrower, lawnmower etc.) with additional features like laserpointer or larger ammo clips

-new weapon upgrades and blueprints with new special effects

-craftable guns/in-depth loot system/rarity of certain weapons(hard to find or craft) or alchemy recipes

-wider skill tree to personalize your gameplay style (or something like a limited amount of skill points then can be spent) -> add starting classes (survivor, fighter, scientist.. etc.)

-nerf minimap because it makes you feel to comfortable when you can see where the enemies are and where they are looking at -> add difficulty mode

-increase the health of the standard zombies (way to easy to kill in late-game) or in addition to the second bullet point, add a bunch of new zombies that are harder to kill.

-more sensitive environment; gun shots and explosions should attract way more zombies -> zombie hordes

-more access to builings -> breakable wooden/steel doors with other tools to get in (maybe welder etc.)

-more variety in combat (combo attacks; zombies can attack together not just one by one -> makes it harder to escape; dual-wielding weapons etc.)

-better character customization

-possibility to block auto-entering online sessions in multiplayer mode

anyway, great game so far! :)

• Proper documentation of how the engine works.

File Converter that can take data from programs like 3DSMax, Maya, and Blender and turn them into in game assets and animations. I.E. if I make a box in Blender, export it as a fbx or obj, I should be able to convert it into the proper file type for your game engine.

Sample Rig for Characters

Example files of a biped character, an on the ground item, a weapon, a static object, and a building

A "lite" version of the executive that boots up quickly to a blank world where you can test the mods you are working on immediately.

• File Converter that can take data from programs like 3DSMax, Maya, and Blender and turn them into in game assets and animations. I.E. if I make a box in Blender, export it as a fbx or obj, I should be able to convert it into the proper file type for your game engine.
  • Sample Rig for Characters
  • Example files of a biped character, an on the ground item, a weapon, a static object, and a building
  • A "lite" version of the executive that boots up quickly to a blank world where you can test the mods you are working on immediately.

This!

first I want to say thank you to Techland for an amazing game, then thanks again for developing mod tools... haven't seen a AAA game embrace modding in a long time!

the top thing on my list is just that we are able to import custom models for weapons. 

(.obj would be fantastic)

1. Map Editor 

Slums and Old Town are very large and detailed locations but i think that everyone who has finished the game knows these maps very well and after all the side quests there is nothing more to do, unfortunately. So it would be awesome for players to create their maps and share with others. For example, i would make a City Maze where players' objective is to find the exit while a horde of zombies is chasing them. Starting with no weapons, no climbing and maybe permadeath. However players can find some weapons in dead end roads.

2. Mission Editor 

It would be really fun for players to create their own missions, so if someone creates the map of a new town area players which join his map can choose different tasks too. I mean co-op missions, such as "escape the maze", or "rescuing people" inside a burning house (with of course burning zombies), "clean the area (or the outpost)" etc. It should incorporate a quest and dialogues editor too.

3. More survival 

You can complete the main game without sleeping or eating. I think it could be interesting to make a survival mode adding human conditions, such as sleepiness and starvation. Don't sleep and you will be distracted while running, feel dizzy on rooftops, your eyes will slowly close and you won't see clearly, until you'll faint (if you faint outside you die / inside protected area you'll just wake up). As well as if you don't eat and drink you will lose your stamina. You will not be able to climb high buildings, running fast, charge your attack and health decreases too. After several days you will faint and if you wake up and continue to avoid food and water you will die. Oh, and of course if you drink a lot of alcohol you will get drunk! (camera distortion, blur, movements inverted and others drunk's effects)

4. Mushrooms (?!)

Just a crazy idea. In the game there are a lot of mushrooms but they're not very useful. I was thinking to a system where players may get boost from different types of mushrooms. Some can give hallucinations, others can poison players, and there are special mushrooms to discover. Maybe someone should add "cooking" skills too!

5. More PVP/PVE modes Online/LAN

A week ago i was into a forum where players were talking about Dying Light, so i decided (actually, i am a indie developer) to make a quick survey asking how many of them did really bought the game. I found that more of 300 players pirated the game and many of them told me the reason: the game has not replay value. That's why i think more PVP/PVE modes should be added. Just a few examples: "Run for your life" - players should run to find the last antizin hidden in the town, who find it first remains human, the others turn in zombies / Demolition - players should put the C4 inside a building then run away before it explodes / "Boss Fights" / "Four in da house" - the classic mode that makes players really mad. Maximum 4 players in the house trying to survive.

6. Create contents

Give us a complete tool to create new weapons (chainsaw, crossbow, whip, sniper rifle etc...), new gadgets (such as mines or traps), new clothes, new skills, new types of zombies (or why not vampires and werewolves coming at night), new characters, and the possibility to add more weather effects (sandstorm, snow, downpour). More content, more fun!

7. Increase Difficult Mode

Make the Antizin an item that must be used often so players are forced to run through the map in search of medical air drops. If they don't take the antizin they become zombies and the game ends (permadeath maybe?). Enemies cannot be seen in the minimap. Zombies make more damage if they grab you.

7. As Old HopeJ said:

• File Converter that can take data from programs like 3DSMax, Maya, and Blender and turn them into in game assets and animations. I.E. if I make a box in Blender, export it as a fbx or obj, I should be able to convert it into the proper file type for your game engine.
  • Sample Rig for Characters
  • Example files of a biped character, an on the ground item, a weapon, a static object, and a building
  • A "lite" version of the executive that boots up quickly to a blank world where you can test the mods you are working on immediately.

8. Last but not least

Thank you for your support to the PC community. We really appreciate this!

1. Crossbow/bow and silent kill zombies/people;

2. More custom outfits (but not only clothes, but character. New outfits with new head or something like that). One big pack and if we wanna play with someone, he must install this mod too, then he see character what we choose. I dont wanna play with friend, when we look the same;

3. Some guns customization like magazine, suppressor etc;

4. More guns and weapons;

5. Disable minimap;

6. MORE zombies

Edited by segrand

Hey Everyone,

I was thinking that resuming the Air drop system (where Planes fly in and drop them) would be a good thing to keep me coming back to the game, and maybe even put weapons in them sometimes, as well as the normal relief package drops. Maybe Antizin drops as well, if a system with Antizin needed for survival was put in the game.

1. Scripting language/editor (quests, events, characters, ai, items, tables, etc.)

2. Map editor

3. Model import export tools

4. Access to all the stuff we can't get to right now.

5. Some sample biped models

6. Unrestricted dev console :)

Thanks for taking a look. Make it good and we will support you.