Oath Tsunami

Night Hunter Needs A Buff

35 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying: I have put around 9 hours into my Night Hunter, and have reached nearly level 25. I have lost about 5-6 times out of my 30+ games. I am in no way, shape, or form attempting to tell the developers how to balance their game, these are only opinion and experience based suggestions.

Pounce - It is obnoxiously underpowered in games with more than 1 survivor. The range on the UV Light, is absurd, and the CD for it when burned out, is way too short. A Pounce can be countered by turning around at last second and flicking the UV Light on for a fraction of a second, draining a tiny bit of energy, preventing a kill. This is extremely obnoxious. Completely outplaying a survivor only to have them turn around half a second before the start of a pounce, not even close to ideal balance. I do believe the way it stands right now is good for 1v1 situations, but once it hits 2v1, 3v1, etc. it becomes frustrating, and unbalanced. I believe UV Lights need a range reduction and CD lengthen. It should also require more of the Night Hunters energy to be burned before a pounce is prevented/countered when there are more players in the game, ex: 90% energy for pounce in 2v1, 85% for pounce in 3v1, 80% for 4v1. This would make big team fights much more manageable and controlable for the Night Hunter, and not entirely in the favour of the survivors.

Spits - They are a pain to hit survivors with, if they remotely know when/how to dodge. I feel as though I can get my Spit within 2m of someone, and not hit them with it. Could be a miscalculation on my part, but this happens too often. More times than not, the survivors see the Spit being shot and dodge out of its range before it hits the ground primed to explode. They should explode with a larger radius, and explode faster. Possibly have a skill for manual detonation, but this could somehow prove extremely overpowered.

UV Block - this is actually extremely balanced. I would like to see slightly less cutting of momentum whilst using Tendril Locomotion though.

Ground Slam - If you miss, this has an insanely long recovery, however if it hits, it is near instantaneous recovery (makes no sense to me). easily countered for what is does (knocking back survivors to the point where they can still melee you after landing), and nearly useless.

Tackle - Too much time given to counter, it is too easy to counter as well. The damage tackle does, is next to non-existant. Most people get tackled, UV the Hunter, Medkit, and back to full health. The Tackle only has any killing potential if the survivor is low on health, extremely bad allowing for enough Tackles to kill, or any spikes are anywhere, which tends to be nowhere when tackles occur (to me at least). Tackle is far too foreseeable, counterable, and meant mainly to annoy survivors mostly.

Energy - I feel as though it drains too fast whilst in UV. I also think there needs to be a way to kill survivors when your energy is completely drained. Ground Slam does next to nothing, Tackle is flat out terrible in its current state. I do understand the entire "You're meant to be vulnerable without energy." thing, but it's extremely absurd when you hit the survivors with a Ground Slam, and they're already on you again with melee half a second later. Possibly introduce an energy regain perk of sorts.

HP - The Night Hunters health, is pathetic. By end-game, most player have the ability to fast attack OHK the Night Hunter. Not to mention being able to two hit kill hives with a machete of sorts. After end-game, Night Hunter invasions become a joke (unless the hunter is good). Most people I face, don't even go after the Hives, as the Hunter itself is so easy to counter and kill.

Overall - The Night Hunter should be something people see pop up on their screen and say: "Oh hell..." not just stare at 'Hunter Incoming' and laugh maniacally. Easily countered everything, low hp, relatively low damage output. A buff is needed pretty badly.

P.S. Finding a match as a Zombie, extremely broken. Would be extremely lucky to find 2 matches in 30 minutes.

i agree with almost everything here. a few things i wanna mention though.

1. matchmaking is total chupacabra in all forms, co-op and zombie invasion.

2. for spits, you should know that it works like a grenade, they hit a target, wait 1-2 seconds then explode for AOE.  but if you score a direct hit then it is instant.  i personally use UV block, spit at point blank then run away, but this exausts like all my powers in one go.

3. i think pounce would be fixed if a successful pounce gives you a few seconds of invincibility like if you absorb life from your kill or something so they cant just kill you when you pounce someone unless its like the instant you land on em. however they should also be able to drain your energy like normal with UV to prevent you from just riding the invicibility to kill an entire group 

I would love to agree to this, or even comment on it, but I have yet to be able to start a single match, due to broken matchmaking. OP does seem to know what he's talking about though.

I think most of the problem lies with Survivor sense putting you on the mini-map at rather remarkable ranges. If they sense you and are looking right at you, sure, by all means, I've been found, but the minimap ping removes any positional advantage I have since all the Survivor needs to do is be facing that direction whenever it pops up.  Currently, the hunter has no positional advantage because of all the mechanics that more or less allow a survivor to pinpoint their location at any given time (and thus, have a UV light ready to flash straight at you). You're a pretty lousy predator if you'e got three different blinking lights strapped to you at any given time (Howl, Survivor Sense, RAGE-FKIN-GLOW UV recovery) that let you be seen from across Harran.

Most games I've played, the survivors are facing me at all times. They wait/camp  'till I get close enough to pop on Survivor sense, and they will (contrary to the nature of the match) hunt me. Once I'm dead, they go for the objective while I wait to respawn. Lather, rinse, repeat an hour of standoffs and get-nothing-done skirmishes.  It's hell if you're level 1 or 1v1 with the atrocious spit recharge times.

1v4 is easier because the hunters (Oops, i mean survivors.. right?) often have trouble coordinating as a PUG and there's sometimes a weak link you can exploit while they get complacent about their numbers, but I've been completely shut out of 1v3 matches because they were all on the denial game while I was caught with no tools or advantage.

Edited by Zourin

I think most of the problem lies with Survivor sense putting you on the mini-map at rather remarkable ranges. If they sense you and are looking right at you, sure, by all means, I've been found, but the minimap ping removes any positional advantage I have since all the Survivor needs to do is be facing that direction whenever it pops up.  Currently, the hunter has no positional advantage because of all the mechanics that more or less allow a survivor to pinpoint their location at any given time (and thus, have a UV light ready to flash straight at you). You're a pretty lousy predator if you'e got three different blinking lights strapped to you at any given time (Howl, Survivor Sense, RAGE-FKIN-GLOW UV recovery) that let you be seen from across Harran.

Most games I've played, the survivors are facing me at all times. They wait/camp  'till I get close enough to pop on Survivor sense, and they will (contrary to the nature of the match) hunt me. Once I'm dead, they go for the objective while I wait to respawn. Lather, rinse, repeat an hour of standoffs and get-nothing-done skirmishes.  It's hell if you're level 1 or 1v1 with the atrocious spit recharge times.

1v4 is easier because the hunters (Oops, i mean survivors.. right?) often have trouble coordinating as a PUG and there's sometimes a weak link you can exploit while they get complacent about their numbers, but I've been completely shut out of 1v3 matches because they were all on the denial game while I was caught with no tools or advantage.

i have noticed this as well, i played a decent amount of matches as a zombie and with survivor sense allowing them to see me at any time, no matter what im doing or where i am, it means they will camp or group up until they know im gone or killable

it removes the stealth element that they seemed to go for with night hunter quite a bit

I agree that playing the Night Hunter at this moment is not worthwhile. During the first few stages of the game, there really isn't an issue with the the balancing on the Night Hunter, but during the later stages (Think end-game), the Night Hunter is under-powered at such a level that survivors can pretty much insta-kill it using certain weapons.

The main issue is that the Night Hunter doesn't scale up with the survivors. And the secondary one is the lack of stealth capabilities on the Night Hunter. Sure, there are many other issues with the mode in its current state, but tackling these 2 problems first would improve and allow for actual fun matches. 

Completely agree 100%.

I feel the UV light is too safe of a tool, it has a long enough duration to take out a NH shield two times over and the cool down is remarkably short. This makes sense in story mode when you're swarmed by volatiles but when there's only one NH it's pretty ridiculous. Especially when you depend on a full shield to use your most effective kill method.

Also as others have suggested the cooldown for spit attacks is way too long to only have two shots. Add to the fact that they are easily avoidable and it puts a huge penalty on missing. And once you're out of spit you lose any way of forcing them into a favourable position so you can switch to the offensive. I feel the tackle also needs to be harder to dodge as well so it can be used as more of an offensive tool. Right now it's extremely telegraphed and leaves you wide open when dodged.

Right now the presence of a NH is less than terrifying. It's actually just more of an annoyance than a formidable opponent.

A few things I forgot to touch on...

Safe houses - These are safe havens for survivors, as their name would suggest. They are extremely invisible to the hunter when evading. Most of the time I think I got away to safety, and land is a safe zone, killing myself. Survivors like to camp in them, due to the ability to use their UV whilst in them, and the Night Hunter gets damaged whilst in it, most players who seem to not like to fight go and hide in these when about to lose, and then complain when Night Hunters kill them in the safe house. This needs to be addressed by either highlighting the safe houses much more obviously, removing them completely when a Night Hunter invades, or stopping the ability to UV whilst inside, granting the Night Hunter freedom to kill you. This would stop all of the safe house camping of which prevents the Night Hunter from progressing the game. I do understand that if they hide in it too much, that it ends the game, but most survivors who hide in them step out for a brief second to reset the timer and prolong the game.

AI Zombies - There are close to none of them, anywhere. For most invasions, there'll be maybe 5 infected at most at a hive. This is rendered pointless when invading an end-game player because their weapons have the ability to OHK infected, and THK Goons. I believe more infected should be added, or weapons should be scaled down, making the infected more of a threat, and allowing the Night hunter not to get constantly OHK'd.

I feel there needs to be more of a penalty for using guns. This ties in directly with the lack of zombies.

Up close the hunter is no match for even a low level survivor. So naturally one would assume for balance purposes that he is strongest from a distance. However UV lights and guns negate this mainly because there is no consequence to keeping eyes on the zombie 24/7 as the threat of other zombies is extremely low. Constantly being watch like this makes it hard to aim/land spit shots or pounces and gives you no other options other than to stand in a safe location and let them waste their battery (which mind you has a ridiculously fast recharge rate). Throw in the fact that survivors can shoot at you from a distance without attracting any other zombies and the night hunter becomes ineffective at practically all ranges.

Humans should be more fragile, they are redicoulusly (spelling?) strong as it is now.

This game mode will die out in a few weeks if the devs dont adress our concerns right now.

I started this account just to post exactly what you are saying. I was under the assumption that the hunter was suppose to be stealthy. How is this so if I have to let out a 'howl' to find my prey and the human can just click a silent feature. This is not even the worse of it. No one can play this and think that this is balanced. I'm not saying I want to be op, I just want some balance. 

!. Human(s) can just post up with their back against the wall and wait forever till monster falls asleep of boredom

2.Humans can become completely invisible if they have the perk where they can camouflage.

3.They can turn on a dime and get UV juice all up in monsters eyes

4.When hunter is killed, if it isn't bad enough, you have to wait about 30 seconds to be back in the game and then miles away from humans and pods

I don't want to go on and on. Anyone...you over there, just go play the 'Be the Zombie' mode and tell me how much of a killing machine you are. 

The only thing I can think of is the devs were giving us a taste of being the predator...cough 'Evolve' and later we will get other hunters that have better tolerance to the UV. 

lucky you! since release i never got a change to join a match.. :(

I know the feel ^ I normally sit in a waiting room for about an hour, finally get a match and everyone leaves from fear. but don't let that stop you a few more hours and waitng and you'll have a good match :P

As far as I can tell from Night hunter, when you first start you are extremely weak. Having only pounce to was a huge issue since it was easily countered and you couldn't do much

Once I started getting along tho and being a sneaky little chupacabra, I was able to lvl up and bit a get more skills and let me tell you, once you get more skills you can become a monster. I am currently a lvl 19 night hunter and I can mess people up

There are some bugs with some of the skills tho but hey, game just came out what do you expect.

As a finally statement, I do think they need to buff the base power of the night hunter a bit, so you don't have those god awful starting lvls but once you start getting all your skills, you can start steam rolling people

I'm sure it'll get patched eventually but my last match I found a glitch with the spits that make things easy but of course you have to acquire the skills first (both spits and that spit charge skill) If you charge one spit while the other one is out, then switch to the one that's out you can fire that spit, for example if my uv spit is out but I have 1 horde spit I can charge the horde one then swap to uv one and fire it then repeat, essentially chain firing whichever spit is out.

I always find myself disagreeing with these posts. I've been in dozens of these matches because the game continually puts hunters in your lobby. At one point I went over an hour straight being hunted because as soon as one match was over, 15 seconds would pass and another hunter would join.

The nerfs that people are asking for are ridiculous. The UV light is the only defense a survivor has against the hunter other than flares, but they take AGES to throw and only last for around 5 seconds. I can't tell you how many times I've been UV blocked (whatever the purple spit is called), switch to flares, only to be instantly pounced before the flare can even get out of my hands. I agree it could use a slight range nerf, but some people are asking for its range to be reduced to like 10 feet. It's cooldown time is fine as is, because if you increase it then you're essentially handing the survivor over on a silver platter. Unless of course you'd rather have them hide in a room, constantly throwing flares at the door until their light recharges.

I think survivor sense could use some changes, but it should not be removed completely. I think survivor sense should only show the hunter on the map if they are in the immediate area (like 10-15 feet). Some people are asking for it to be removed completely, which I think is ridiculous. The hunter can track the survivors exact locations at all times. If you remove survivor sense, the hunter will have a huge advantage because the survivors will be completely blind. The only way they could locate the hunter would be to watch for its spit attacks or to listen for it (which is only possible if they're within arms reach).

Coming from someone with little hunter experience, this is what I think needs to happen: UV lights range needs a slight nerf. Reduce it by at least 25-30%. Decrease the throw time of flares. Survivor sense tweaked to only show the hunters position on the radar if they are in within 15-20 feet (pounce can reach much farther than, as well as the hunters spit). Hunters claw attack damage reduced (based on the fact that I've been rambo punched multiple times by it, and it kills in like 2-3 hits).

The hunters spit abilities are fine in my opinion, the purple spit can be countered with flares and the yellow bombers are easy to avoid. From my experience the UV block does last a bit too long. Multiple times I have countered a pounce, only for the hunter to activate UV block, gain their energy, and then either rambo punch me or pounce me while I'm shining a UV light in their face. Again, I don't have much hunter experience.

I always find myself disagreeing with these posts. I've been in dozens of these matches because the game continually puts hunters in your lobby. At one point I went over an hour straight being hunted because as soon as one match was over, 15 seconds would pass and another hunter would join.

The nerfs that people are asking for are ridiculous. The UV light is the only defense a survivor has against the hunter other than flares, but they take AGES to throw and only last for around 5 seconds. I can't tell you how many times I've been UV blocked (whatever the purple spit is called), switch to flares, only to be instantly pounced before the flare can even get out of my hands. I agree it could use a slight range nerf, but some people are asking for its range to be reduced to like 10 feet. It's cooldown time is fine as is, because if you increase it then you're essentially handing the survivor over on a silver platter. Unless of course you'd rather have them hide in a room, constantly throwing flares at the door until their light recharges.

I think survivor sense could use some changes, but it should not be removed completely. I think survivor sense should only show the hunter on the map if they are in the immediate area (like 10-15 feet). Some people are asking for it to be removed completely, which I think is ridiculous. The hunter can track the survivors exact locations at all times. If you remove survivor sense, the hunter will have a huge advantage because the survivors will be completely blind. The only way they could locate the hunter would be to watch for its spit attacks or to listen for it (which is only possible if they're within arms reach).

Coming from someone with little hunter experience, this is what I think needs to happen: UV lights range needs a slight nerf. Reduce it by at least 25-30%. Decrease the throw time of flares. Survivor sense tweaked to only show the hunters position on the radar if they are in within 15-20 feet (pounce can reach much farther than, as well as the hunters spit). Hunters claw attack damage reduced (based on the fact that I've been rambo punched multiple times by it, and it kills in like 2-3 hits).

The hunters spit abilities are fine in my opinion, the purple spit can be countered with flares and the yellow bombers are easy to avoid. From my experience the UV block does last a bit too long. Multiple times I have countered a pounce, only for the hunter to activate UV block, gain their energy, and then either rambo punch me or pounce me while I'm shining a UV light in their face. Again, I don't have much hunter experience.

only time ive killed people with claw attacks is when they survive a bomber blast or been weakened by zombies

uv light range is to far it can hit me three blocks away whlle im on a roof with no los to the player 

spit is easy to dodge 

i call bs on uv block pounce as pounce cancels uv block 

ive had matches where the player just chases me everywhere cause they are op while the hunter is up 

the uv light needs a few changes:

minimum 50% range decrease 

drains the hunters energy at a slower pace or a greatly decreased charge where it takes 2-3 players to fully drain the hunter energy

with 3-4 players it should have a 30 sec cooldown if fully depleted

other things that mp needs changed

grappling hook either not usable or preferably have 1-2 uses before 20 sec recharge

survivor sense should only work at the distance of the pounce not further and there should be a cd of 5-10secs on sense 2 secs in 1v1

pounce should still be usable till 80% energy is gone (but the light/flares should still interrupt it) 

safe zones disabled after 2-3 mins

more varied zombies plus more defending the nests(more per player in games means more zombies)

have zombies out on the streets 1 player might see 3-5 between nests 4 players should see like 20-50 on route to nests

spit cd decreased by 10-25%

hunter sense should be less accurate the further from the players it is

ground pound not have such a bad recoil effect

drop kick/ground pound/tackle off roofs should down humans and take 25-50% off the hunters hp

weapons damage decreased vs hunter or increase hunters hp as hunters shouldnt be getting 1-2 hit then dead should be like hitting the juggernaut

got to remember its about working together to survive against the night hunter not have 1 person hunt him while other destroy nests 

Dude just hit him...it's not that hard.

The zombie should always be overpowered especially if you're going to make it a 1 vs 3.... So boring we need bigger multiplayer games with more human characters and zombie classes. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz lets camp survivors with are noob flashlights when he Finally comes we'll all easily two shot him with our melee weapon then go kill the nests. There's always nests to kill!

I feel that the night hunter is fine as it is. (in my case I feel THEY need a buff not the night hunter but its more likely that's due to bad teamwork on the survivors end, level 26 night hunter here) Even without using the spit glitch I find it easy to win as the night hunter and their end game weapons mean nothing if they can't hit me, but that aside it does start out rough at level 1, as it should since you shouldn't be an overpowered monster right out of the gate. One thing i could see possibly needig fixing is a slight range decrease on UV light and a way for the hunter to temporarily be unable to be picked up on survivor sense like the camo skill so that there can be some semblance of stealth involved for the night hunter. I find that trying to get a match is more of a problem to be honest, you can go 30 minutes and not get into one it feels.

I actually posted something regarding the Night Hunter in the suggestions sticky post.

This is less of a feature request and more of a balancing request.

In normal gameplay, using a gun has consequences. You make a loud noise and attract Virals but what you're shooting at is taking damaging shots. That's good, it's universally accepted that firearms in a zombie apocalypse should be a last resort thing.

However, in Be The Zombie mode. The number of zombies and special infected is severely limited and for good reason. Balancing. The Night Hunter is capable of slaughter and thus, it's no surprise that the devs saw it as a good decision to remove Goons, Bombers, ect. when the invasion is in progress.

This had undesirable changes. You see, with little to no special infected, Virals hardly spawn. No Virals, no consequences for using firearms. No consequences for firearms? No reason why you should risk using a melee weapon against the Night Hunter.

The Night Hunter is rightfully stuck at a hard 150 HP. Two hits with a decent melee weapon will kill him. Firearms don't kill insanely fast, but they are strong. I'm a level 27 Night Hunter and I had trouble killing one survivor with a shotgun. No matter what he had the upper hand. I horde summoned spit? He moved to high ground. UV light spit? UV flares. If I ever got close enough to groundpound, shotgun. If I went in for a tackle, shotgun.

It was a close game but the entire time, there was no reason why he should worry about making loud noises.

All I ask is either, Virals should spawn as they do in single player, one to many loud noises and you have to deal with about 4 or 3. Either that or being killed with a firearm drastically reduces the spawn time to the Night Hunter.

Just goes to show you how underpowered he is.

I just got out of a game where the only reason the survivor won is because he would resort to his gun every time I had him UV Suppressed, and because the silly "Survivor Sense" had me pinged CONSTANTLY and the lack of penalties for spamming UV light I could not kill him.  Only kills I got was before he resorted to his gun and even then it was only when I could get a pounce in while he was supressed.  After he used his gun I could hardly get close enough to pounce while he couldn't use his UV light.

Also maybe not the place for this, but has anyone else had trouble pouncing after UV spit?  I had many occassions that it wouldn't let me pounce after I hit them with my UV Suppressor.

Edited by XboxVillain1

I just got out of a game where the only reason the survivor won is because he would resort to his gun every time I had him UV Suppressed, and because the silly "Survivor Sense" had me pinged CONSTANTLY and the lack of penalties for spamming UV light I could not kill him.  Only kills I got was before he resorted to his gun and even then it was only when I could get a pounce in while he was supressed.  After he used his gun I could hardly get close enough to pounce while he couldn't use his UV light.

In a case like that I would sit around the nests playing defensively, using tendrils to pop out every now and again to make him waste ammo, if he's determined to shoot you he'll go through all of it and if he gets frustrated enough (like most do when I've played people like this) he'll just charge you, eventually giving you an opening. And if you meant he only used guns when suppressed then I'd of tried some ground smashes+pounce, but like I said I play more on the defensive/cautious in this situation.

Well when you are a low level survivor I guess the issue of the night hunter being underpowered is not as noticeable.  I think it also had something to do with everyone being new and a lack of strategy against the night hunters.  But I turned off that mode because I was trying to do the story/side quests.  I didn't mind getting invaded from time to time however I was literally getting invaded back to back within less than 1-2 minutes of a invasion just ending...  Which is kind of annoying if your are trying to do the story/side quests.  Like I said a invasion every so often is fun but back to back is a little excessive...

I haven't actually played as a night hunter yet but I was just giving my experience as a low level survivor...  I watched strategies against the night hunter videos and now know how to properly fight them off and I have access to a lot more skills and better weapons so I'll have to give it another try.

Edited by Evil_Barabbas