Soulborn141

matchmaking
Matchmaking balancing.

8 posts in this topic

So i'm a dying light player with roughly 200 hours on the game with little knowledge about the BTZ game mode or other known as the PvP side of the game. When i play as the NH, i'm either getting matched with people with over 1000 hours in the game, or someone that just bought the game and has maybe 10 hours max. And when i'm a survivor taking invasions, its the same concept. I'm never getting matched with people at my skill level. I'm getting sick and tired of the matchmaking with people over 1000 hours, and i just feel bad playing against people who have absolutely no idea whats going on. I mean, whats the point in having ranks if they aren't gonna be used in how you match with other players? Another problem i have while playing as the survivor is having a hunter join in multiple times after beating me to farm as much exp as possible, or just to be a total chupacabra and troll me. This mainly happens when i'm playing with multiple people, and it really gets on my nerves because sometimes i want to play with other people and learn how to deal with other types of play styles, rather than playing against someone with the same one over and over again. Techlands, if you see this post, please do something about it.

On 10/22/2017 at 4:05 AM, Soulborn141 said:

So i'm a dying light player with roughly 200 hours on the game with little knowledge about the BTZ game mode or other known as the PvP side of the game. When i play as the NH, i'm either getting matched with people with over 1000 hours in the game, or someone that just bought the game and has maybe 10 hours max. And when i'm a survivor taking invasions, its the same concept. I'm never getting matched with people at my skill level. I'm getting sick and tired of the matchmaking with people over 1000 hours, and i just feel bad playing against people who have absolutely no idea whats going on. I mean, whats the point in having ranks if they aren't gonna be used in how you match with other players? Another problem i have while playing as the survivor is having a hunter join in multiple times after beating me to farm as much exp as possible, or just to be a total chupacabra and troll me. This mainly happens when i'm playing with multiple people, and it really gets on my nerves because sometimes i want to play with other people and learn how to deal with other types of play styles, rather than playing against someone with the same one over and over again. Techlands, if you see this post, please do something about it.

Well, first of all, ranks are one of the two things that determine how your server's gonna look to the opponent's screen. The other factor is amount of wins/losses. Once you reach max rank in this game it's almost impossible to get de-ranked (or fully impossible? Never happened to me or anyone I know). This means an Apex Predator could've been racking up losses like mad and eventually your game would be displayed as a 4-bar green game, so he'd invade you.

You can somewhat avoid the scenario of skill mismatch when you're playing Hunter - just never, ever use Quick Join. Search through matchmaking, this is how you should view games:

2 orange bars: Either way too difficult or way too easy. Always ignore these servers.

3 orange bars: Somewhat difficult or somewhat easy

4 green bars: Mostly suited for you. The best middleground.

5 green bars: Perfectly suited for your amount of wins/losses and your rank

This goes for Survivor as well. Beating up several inexperienced Hunters that do nothing to up your skill will make your game look suited for high rank Hunters, making it a spiral of mismatch. Unfortunately, I agree that average players are the most rare these days. If someone tries to farm you just quit out before the game begins, it won't count as a loss. If you feel bad for being matched with a new Hunter, I'd advise to just let him gain as much XP as he can, but keep the win for yourself. And there is no harm in getting carried a little bit, or at the very least learning the game from people with more hours than you. Send out some friend requests, learn the game, and reach the point where you only want highly skilled Hunters invading you.

Well that's the problem though. I'm an apex, and games that are matched 4-5 bars would be either a prey that has little to no experience. Or someone that sweats their balls off in pvp mode with 2k+ hours. I fought a guy with literally no experience, just got the game i'm guessing an hour ago, and he was a 4 ranking.

Although another problem i have, which i'm sure many people can agree on, is dodge spamming. Its something that the zombie puts up with almost every game, and it can be really annoying because 90% of the time, it is near impossible to land a tackle on someone that is doing this. I think the survivors should have a tiny cooldown to dodging. It would encourage people to require more skill and timing to dodge a tackle, rather then spamming back and spacebar in hopes to dodge every tackle thrown at them. Another thing i really hope techlands will fix really soon, is the night hunter clipping and trying to climb up a hill when trying to jump on slanted ground like hills. I'm sure anyone that has played as the night hunter has experienced this issue. And maybe a better anti cheat system. Even with VAC on i still seem to encounter hackers when playing as the hunter. 

5 hours ago, Soulborn141 said:

Even with VAC on i still seem to encounter hackers when playing as the hunter. 

I honestly think this is where your problem is. I don't even remember finding more than 2 servers on VAC-secure, so I've kept it off for all my playtime. I suggest you do the same, hackers:legit players ratio is like 2:8.

As for 4-5 barred games being either Preys or someone with 2k hours, that's a lie. It can only be one of the two, that's how the game is designed, and Apex Predators can't even get Preys as anything more than a 3-barred orange game. I know, because I've tested it with an Apex with only losses.

Anyway, get a feel for your matchmaking menu and start picking from there. The game definitely has a number of faults, but I can say I've always used matchmaking accurately.

------------------

About the dodge spam: yes, it's a thing. No, it will never get addressed. That's how Digital Scapes feels it's fair. Though a cooldown isn't the right solution, it would be piss easy to casually sprint up to the Survivor, him guessing when you're gonna Tackle wrong, and you just Tackling him when you know he's on a cooldown. Unavoidable 33% HP loss doesn't sound fun or fair.

Completely agree on the Hunter climbing up hills, however. This is why I avoid Slums for the life of me, that map is so bad for PvP.

Edited by Vallon

Idk i feel there should be some sort of counter to dodge spammers. I remember seeing some sort of a spike mutation that would do damage to the player for dodging a tackle on the forums, and the devs didnt think it was a bad idea, but i think that would be too much. Consistently tackling would be an easy kill if that were to exist.

You need to learn how to move around the survivors to take advantage of their blind spots on where they can't dodge the tackle.

Since you should've noticed by now that if you just run straight up to the survivor and attempt to tackle it's not gonna work unless the survivor is mentally disabled.

Edited by Keenan