lemonlover996

Dying Light Rant (some current issues, things that need tweaking)

6 posts in this topic

Here's a list of problems when it comes to btz mode as of oct 2017(at least on ps4).

CO-OP

Dropkick spam

One human dropkicks,another one chains off it, etc. Is avoidable, but barely and requires some luck to avoid.

Lag

Just common lag. It can vary between getting killed while twenty feet in the air, or getting killed while the human isn't even facing you.

1v1

1v1 gives hunter an edge, since in co op the uv spit is practically useless. Most 1v1s  experiences can be fun and intense. Not many issues besides the human/hunter can sometimes get ridiculous buffs if they are on the second nest with two lives left or if they hunter hasn't killed the human once. I've been comebacked many times because of that stupid mercy rule.

General problems

DFA

Again, another avoidable tactic but requires practice and timing to avoid. Kind of like a Trump card for the humans. I recommend being able to block it or some sort of counter, because if you go against a dfa spammer it can get a little cumbersome.

Duplicating

I understand that this game has that ‘grindy’ feel to it, and practically nobody wants to make a trip to the bridge every 10 minutes to refill on meds, but duping is not fair, in any way, shape or form. It is possible, believe it or not, to win against a night hunter without pooping out flares every twenty seconds and constantly bandaging your forearm every fifteen seconds. Meds and flare duping barely scratch the surface of the things that are duped, but those are the main problems. I recommend adding a limit of some sort to them, and the limit is reset when the human dies. No matter how many times dying light tries to patch kurczak methods, another one always manages to scrounge it's way to the surface.

Human tackle

That little feature that the devs just had to add in can be so infuriating and frustrating. Whenever I'm up against ‘pro’ survivors, they constantly spam the tackle whenever they can, i.e. after a failed pounce, tackle, etc. Realism wise, the tackle fails to obey the laws of physics. The night hunter, which happens to be one of the most powerful zombies in the dying light universe, can fall over and die if some human manages to rub their arms against the hunter. Personally, I recommend completely removing the tackle. You couldn't do this since they fanboys would absolutely flip a lid if you did, but drastic measures need to be taken against this feature.

Grapple hook (if you are going to fix anything, please fix this)

This little wooden hook should've been called the gravity breaker, since that is it's primary role in btz. Whether to break a fall by throwing a hook onto a building, which in real life would've dislocated your arm, or rocketing across the terrain almost as nearly as fast as the speed of light. The grapple hook can be used to cancel two handed weapon animations as well, so the human can swingaxe+grapple+tackle to instakill a hunter. I recommend making the speed of it slower, and have it disabled for a couple seconds after the hunter pounces/tackles. Maybe have different types of grapple hooks, like have a gray grapple hook, green, orange, yellow, etc.

The crossbow

The crossbow, at worst, is unbalanced. I thanked whatever god was out there when the xbow finally got nerfed, and personally the only thing slightly unbalanced with it is the poison dart. I recommend reducing the damage on the nest and making the poison time on the hunter not as long lasting.

Unknown glitch

Today I was invading a human and I noticed that he was wiping out my nests in a matter of seconds. He also seemed to be killing me quite fast as well with just regular slices from a one handed axe. I called him out on glitching and he didn't respond/care. I don't have any idea on what this glitch could possibly be. The user of this glitch is DECIPITATED748.

Things that need to get reworked/buffed for hunter/human.

Sense spit in co-op.

UV spit in co-op.

Buggies.

Spike kills.

Well, that just about sums it up for my rant. I've been playing btz since 2016 of may, and I've seen it all by now. If even one of these changes happen, I might consider not throwing away dying light. I am completely aware that I have downtime when it comes to matches, and I'm not the best hunter, but these are recurring problems. Devs, or whoever is working at techland, please at least change the grappling hook.

This is mainly a rant concerning the abilities of the human. Most humans complain about the many functions that a night hunter has, like gp spitting or how the tackle can sometimes defy physics. Going up against a human who is glitching/spamming/or using teamwork effectively makes it extremely hard to not use methods that seem unbalanced towards the hunter. If I went up against someone like viceral, i would probably lose if I didn't gp spit or tendril sprint.

Ideas I've had that could make btz more interesting

More skills

Stamina spit.

When drenched in the spit, the human becomes slowed by nearly half. Climbs slower/sometimes falls off object the human was climbing. Basic time - 15 secs. Upgraded time - 25 secs.

Snatch

Hunter takes the weapon that the human was using and throws it to the side, unequipping it from the humans inventory. QuickTime event

Horde spit v3

Summons upgraded night volatiles, ones that will chase down the human until the humans die or the volatile dies. Can only activate if the hunter spit stuck. Can be avoided if the human goes into water and washes off the spit. Is a separate spit from the uv/horde. Start with half of it regenerated at spawn.

Piercing howl

Whenever the hunter howls, the sheer volume of it can damage the human. Depends on how far away the human is when the hunter howls. 50-5 dmg

Iron skin

Skin has a 25% to completely deflect bullets, sharp objects, and arrows. Extremely vulnerable to elements. Should be equippable/unequippable.

Stalk

The hunter strikes fear into the human, making it seem like there is two of them. Only activatable if the human makes line of sight with the hunter while the hunter is on elevated ground and is unmoving. Think of Michael Myers. Visual impair, still only shows one hunter on the map, but a decoy to the eye.

Sacrifice.

Hunter needs to be fully upgraded skill wise and has two horde spit, two uv spit, and two uv block. Kills off one entire nest.

The hunter's abilities are greatly enhanced for 45 seconds, making it regenerate faster, hit harder, and move quicker. The humans instantly die if they are downed in co-op, and the humans also enter a state of rapid respawn to prevent them from sitting on the respawn menu. The ability can't be used on the last nest.

Zombie summoner spits

Being able to call in different types of zombies(walkers, day volatiles, night volatiles, goons, demolishers, etc)

Tendril pull

Tendrils wrap around the human's legs, pulling him to the hunter. Think of the smoker from l4d. Only usable in co-op. Teammates can only save the human.

QuickTime events

Hunter blocking dropkicks, dfa’s, regular attacks, etc.

2 or more hunters and 4 or more humans.

More nest spawns.

Demolishers spawning for the hunter when autobalance kicks in.

Upgradable nests

Being able to have certain zombies around your nests.

A tutorial mission which introduces the hunter to the human

Could you elaborate more on some of these? Because a lot of these do not need a rework at all or buffs/nerfs. 

The only thing that I can find unbalanced is the 2 Handed grapple tackle combo that instant kills. Normally it wouldn't be a problem. However, Techland removed the Night Hunter's instant tackle and now that combo is being abused by many humans. 

Everything else is balanced, has a counter, or a check. 

Death from Above: Easily blocked by holding your sprint, forward, and tackle bind while looking up at the human. It just requires awareness. 

Dropkick Spam: There are multiple things you can do. Hold jump and fly off, jump and then hold your groundpound bind right before you use the tendril to get to where you want to groundpound (It will create an instant groundpound). UV Block/Heal + UV Spit also helps as you can stick them (they are running directly at you) and continue to pounce or get away. 

Spikes are balanced as well. This comes back to the awareness thing. Just be aware of your surroundings. 

However, I do agree with you on the buggies though. The damage is just a bit much especially in a 4v4 with multiple buggies. They can stun lock and hit once more when you are finally not stunned anymore. 

The tackle, grapple hook, and crossbow are all balanced at the moment with the nerfs they implement. The only real problem here is the 2 handed combo mentioned earlier.  Grappling hook is an essential part of the gameplay and needed to counter multiple combos of the night hunter. 

As far as the additional things you said that would be cool, a lot of it would need a bunch of reworking to balance it as itd be too strong. I like the tendril pull idea though. [: 

1 hour ago, [BD+] Myzo said:

Death from Above: Easily blocked by holding your sprint, forward, and tackle bind while looking up at the human. It just requires awareness. 

Dropkick Spam: There are multiple things you can do. Hold jump and fly off, jump and then hold your groundpound bind right before you use the tendril to get to where you want to groundpound (It will create an instant groundpound). UV Block/Heal + UV Spit also helps as you can stick them (they are running directly at you) and continue to pounce or get away. 

Have you even played Hunter? Literally all these counters you listed haven't worked since mid-2016, let alone now when Survivors are fully adapt at how to properly exploit DFA and Dropkick through the Hunter's failed or even successful animations without allowing him to counter. 

Edited by Vallon

1 hour ago, Vallon said:

Have you even played Hunter? Literally all these counters you listed haven't worked since mid-2016, let alone now when Survivors are fully adapt at how to properly exploit DFA and Dropkick through the Hunter's failed or even successful animations without allowing him to counter. 

Yes I have played and still do. It is much harder to counter nowadays but you still can nonetheless. 

I like the howling idea, although instead of doing damage it should draw in more virals or something a long those lines. A trump card for hunters.

I agree the auto balance is so damn aggressive, I could lose a match with 6-7 lives left on the last nest.

On 10/16/2017 at 3:51 PM, [BD+] Myzo said:

Spikes are balanced as well. This comes back to the awareness thing. Just be aware of your surroundings. 

i know that these have counters, but if you are a noobie then these tactics are pretty much unknown to them. it took me 3 mutations to figure out i could stop dfa by tackling. as for the spikes, those arent very balanced for the hunter. i find myself often just tackling a human off a building, then happening to impale him on spikes.

dropkick spam is avoidable, but it mostly requires luck. if you get drop kicked in a wide open field in the following, and the other guy runs up to you and dropkicks you, omae wa mou shindeiru

the only way to avoid dropkick spam is if you get drop kicked off a building, into a wall, the human has to climb something to get to you, or they weren't coordinated enough to follow up. unavoidable tactics are cheesy and not fun to play against. thats why i abort