Natteee

GP Spits.

10 posts in this topic

I recently started practicing gp spits. Since it's not really in the game anymore I know it's hard to hit them and all. Is it easier to hit the gp spits without having the increased gp knockback skill? If so, how big is the difference? Are there any other tips for being a better hunter when having a rather passive playstyle. Just really focusing on hitting gp spits when going in for a fight.

I think the whole point of it was to not upgrade the GP so it doesn't knock the player too far, then you spit immediately giving a spit stick, but that's an exploit someone found at some point when trying it out. Without the exploit you can still hit them, even if it doesn't tag. Knocking a player into a wall seems to be more successful. Even with knockback the wall will stop them.

It's way more difficult to hit GP-spits with the upgraded knockback. I haven't even bothered testing with it now, but with the old GP-spit I did, and this was the ratio of spit stick per match for me:

Upgraded: 30-40%

Unupgraded: 90-100%

Since nothing has changed other than reduced auto-aim time, I can only imagine it's even worse now that you have to be more precise and the spit has to travel further, while the Survivor has the same amount of time to dodge sideways and make you miss. Leave GP-spit aside, short GP is also better for that additional and unblockable 20% damage from a claw you can sneak in immediately after it, not to mention the good old GP off a roof + Tackle combo makes the hook-cancel-air-evade exploit close to impossible, while with upgraded GP they have ample time to perform it since they fly too far away for a fast follow up Tackle.

Though for a passive playstyle like yours, upgraded GP might be better. Unupgraded is more so for Hunters that rely on melee damage to get their kills and for GP-spit. If it's a top priority for you, then go for unupgraded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for being a better Hunter, in my opinion you'll simply have to change your playstyle. Passive Hunters aren't really what you can call challenging or memorable nowadays. I really would like to be specific and dislike talking generally, but since I don't know how you play this will have to do as ''tips'':

- Be aggressive (not reckless) when there's an active spit on someone for additional pressure onto him

- Be passive but annoying (go in for a few quick exchanges, retreat) when you're out of spits, unless of course you feel comfortable in melee, though I really wouldn't recommend it in anything above a 1v1

- Use downed Survivors as bait for additional kills or at least free spit regen time.

- Don't try to aim when attempting GP-spit, I've found it's much better (and cooler) to flick spit - slightly and quickly move your mouse in the direction of the auto-aim and spit without holding.

- Practice on the invulnerable bot. Get good in melee combat if you aren't already, relying on just spits is not effective at all.

Edited by Vallon

Ah I see. I mutated my second hunter and now trying to level it up. I have been gp spitting a lot now without the knockback skill, and I can definitely say.. It's so much easier. Hitting a lot more of them. Of course just like Relentlos said, it's pretty much a stick all the time if you knock them into the wall even with the knockback. But of course you can't rely on hitting people into a wall or an object all the time. 

For my playstyle Vallon. Well.. I have been using many different ones. Used to rely on speed and tackles back in the day. Then I realized the importance of spits. Been going thru many different playstyles. Right now what I am comfortable with is to play fairly passive and go in for gp spits whenever I attack and try to capitalize from that. I truly lack the skill to be aggressive. I am horrible at it. I try to claw and ground pound and tackle and do many things but I end up getting sliced etc.. I want to become better at being aggressive but I am just not sure how to go about it right now. I claw survivors and they fly far away and I miss the ground pound follow up. I jump around and run around the survivors in attempt to claw and tackle them but again.. I end up getting sliced usually.

I also use the howl ground pound whenever I attempt a gp spit (most of the time). Some people like to read me and my tactics and counter it with the hook for example. That's why I sometimes just do the normal claw ground pound so they can't time it correctly and hook away. However is there a good way to deal with people trying to counter the ground pound like that other than playing mind games, fakes and reading them instead? Pounce, tackle? (This question is not as important, but any advice would help!).

My energy just gets drained which is when being a good ground pounder comes handy. However I am not good at it.. Do you possibly have any good tips or advices for becoming a better aggressive hunter?

Anyways thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I am very new here, I just registered a few days ago. I thought it was a good idea since it seems to be a good place to discuss BtZ releated topics and learn some new things.

On 8/31/2017 at 11:44 PM, Natteee said:

Is there a good way to deal with people trying to counter the ground pound like that other than playing mind games, fakes and reading them instead? Pounce, tackle? (This question is not as important, but any advice would help!).

My energy just gets drained which is when being a good ground pounder comes handy. However I am not good at it.. Do you possibly have any good tips or advices for becoming a better aggressive hunter?

Not really. It's exactly about the mind games and fake outs, plus game sense and reflexes. Doesn't matter who you are and how many hours you have into the game, there will always be times when you're gonna make the wrong call and get punished for it. Your goal is to minimize that, though it takes a good reaction time, most commonly needed for when you hear the hook sound to cancel the GP and convert to a Tackle. If you've seen the Survivor do the hook for GP evasion, next time just Howl as if you're prepping a GP and do a Tackle instead. Works 70% of the time for me since the opponent thinks a GP is definitely coming. Pounce is a bad idea since they're almost always waiting for you in a flare. Alternatively, you can just boost off of Tendrils, sprint towards him while Howling and land the GP. It's much easier to react to a hook and it's much easier to track him for a successful GP as well, though at the cost of most likely taking a hit since it's so easy to just spam Left Mouse as Survivor for rapid slicing.

Aside from using Tendril speed at every possible moment I don't really have tips for being a good melee Hunter other than go on YouTube and watch some pros at their best. That's how I learned, still remember watching PILOT's videos and practicing different combos back in early 2016. Watching advanced Hunters's movements transforming into their offense, coupled with your own practice in-game is the most efficient way to get better, and if you have any technical questions on how a certain trick or something is executed you can ask here and we can explain it.

Unfortunately, CartierC is right. The Survivor side is way too easy and too strong currently, especially in teams. Digital Scapes have made it clear that's how they want the game to be, so that's that.

On 8/31/2017 at 4:44 PM, Natteee said:

Ah I see. I mutated my second hunter and now trying to level it up. I have been gp spitting a lot now without the knockback skill, and I can definitely say.. It's so much easier. Hitting a lot more of them. Of course just like Relentlos said, it's pretty much a stick all the time if you knock them into the wall even with the knockback. But of course you can't rely on hitting people into a wall or an object all the time. 

For my playstyle Vallon. Well.. I have been using many different ones. Used to rely on speed and tackles back in the day. Then I realized the importance of spits. Been going thru many different playstyles. Right now what I am comfortable with is to play fairly passive and go in for gp spits whenever I attack and try to capitalize from that. I truly lack the skill to be aggressive. I am horrible at it. I try to claw and ground pound and tackle and do many things but I end up getting sliced etc.. I want to become better at being aggressive but I am just not sure how to go about it right now. I claw survivors and they fly far away and I miss the ground pound follow up. I jump around and run around the survivors in attempt to claw and tackle them but again.. I end up getting sliced usually.

I also use the howl ground pound whenever I attempt a gp spit (most of the time). Some people like to read me and my tactics and counter it with the hook for example. That's why I sometimes just do the normal claw ground pound so they can't time it correctly and hook away. However is there a good way to deal with people trying to counter the ground pound like that other than playing mind games, fakes and reading them instead? Pounce, tackle? (This question is not as important, but any advice would help!).

Anyways thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I am very new here, I just registered a few days ago. I thought it was a good idea since it seems to be a good place to discuss BtZ releated topics and learn some new things.

For being better with aggression it may take not caring about loss or being DFA'd/killed/destroyed. If you don't want to derank just make a new hunter and use that profile. 

I lag a lot on Ps4 and kind of learned not to tackle or GP much because I was trying to win and it seemed to be killing me with the lag due to many things, most of which are simply non registered moves. Nothing like landing in a flare for an air GP only to be melee'd to death because not only did the air GP not charge, but trying again on the ground just makes the hunter claw and do nothing else :/  Tackles would be annoying for non registers and then getting hit because I basically just run up to the human and do nothing for a second. II sometimes get a second hit because my hunter can't jump high enough to clear a human somehow and if I'm really lucky I'll get a fatal hit after I manage to get 20 feet away. 

So overtime I just relied more on speed, fake outs, spits, and making them mess up or exploiting mistakes they make. It kinda worked but I saw older gameplay and noticed I tackled a lot more back then, so maybe I should try more of it. I got my main hunter to Apex finally after 80 hours of a lot of unbelievably retardedly unplayable games that I somehow won by a hair or by default, so I thought I'd try to make it more fun now.

I made a new hunter and did the whole first mutation facing teams with NO skills. Nothing unlocked. I lost when they were decent, but some were close. Lots of noobs though. Had I had more good players I may have unlocked something. I got better and relying on pounce + instant GP and claws, as well as exploiting mistakes. Well I already was good at that but it's all I had. 

First mutation I unlocked the first horde spit because I had to in order to get anything else, and so I decided to do that mutation with only physical abilities on the right (GP + knockback, tendril/speed, pounce/leapfrog, tackle/knockback. I got a lot better with being aggressive using those moves I used to avoid because other than horde spit, it was all I had. No UV block, no UV spits, just reckless brawls + speed and exploiting mistakes. 

Second mutation I'm on now and I added UV block/duration to the mix because believe it or not, 90% of my deaths in the last mutation were from losing stamina and being unable to escape (I usually did, but sometimes you can't). So now I can be even more reckless and escape. It's fun, it levels me up fast, and I'm already at juggernaut, one win from Widow Maker 'cause a super laggy game in the slums got me rekt. Seriously I could tendrill 20+ feet from a roof then see the camera swing for a super hyper mode drop kick only to find out I'm still on the roof lol. As soon as that happened I'm like yeah this isn't going to be good, not with that kind of lag.. .  I'm pretty sure I even got denied an amazing catch when someone grappled and fell off the edge, back turned to me in mid air. I pounce, the animation spins them around with the light on and I get cancelled. I think I even got DFA'd because of it. Oh well. Hey, extreme lag, no UV spits or spit smash or anything like that, and I got like 4 or 5 of them. Take away the lag and maybe give me some UV suppressors for those flare spammers and I think the aggressive playstyle would outdo that team no problem. 

Might be worth a try for you. Could be fun, be a challenge. If it's not your main profile then getting slaughtered doesn't matter. Play smart and you can still avoid most DFAs and stuff, however the recklessness does open you to those who are good enough to catch you when you are open to it. Of course being reckless you can also practice deflecting DFAs with the upwards tackle. 

42 minutes ago, Vallon said:

Not really. It's exactly about the mind games and fake outs, plus game sense and reflexes. Doesn't matter who you are and how many hours you have into the game, there will always be times when you're gonna make the wrong call and get punished for it. Your goal is to minimize that, though it takes a good reaction time, most commonly needed for when you hear the hook sound to cancel the GP and convert to a Tackle. If you've seen the Survivor do the hook for GP evasion, next time just Howl as if you're prepping a GP and do a Tackle instead. Works 70% of the time for me since the opponent thinks a GP is definitely coming. Pounce is a bad idea since they're almost always waiting for you in a flare. Alternatively, you can just boost off of Tendrils, sprint towards him while Howling and land the GP. It's much easier to react to a hook and it's much easier to track him for a successful GP as well, though at the cost of most likely taking a hit since it's so easy to just spam Left Mouse as Survivor for rapid slicing.

Aside from using Tendril speed at every possible moment I don't really have tips for being a good melee Hunter other than go on YouTube and watch some pros at their best. That's how I learned, still remember watching PILOT's videos and practicing different combos back in early 2016. Watching advanced Hunters's movements transforming into their offense, coupled with your own practice in-game is the most efficient way to get better, and if you have any technical questions on how a certain trick or something is executed you can ask here and we can explain it.

Unfortunately, CartierC is right. The Survivor side is way too easy and too strong currently, especially in teams. Digital Scapes have made it clear that's how they want the game to be, so that's that.

Interesting. I will try it out and see what I can do. I am watching many different hunter gameplay videos and trying to learn new stuff. We will see. In general I am just a very inconsistent player. I sometimes play really well and feel great and other times I lose to people I should win against and I just feel really bad. In general I lack the mental advantage too since I have no confidence when playing, but oh well. I don't take it too seriously I just try to have fun and improve. 

I also believe I have all the mechanical skills down currently. I wish they brought insta tackle back since I was practicing it and just started getting the hang of it when they removed it. Right now I just need to polish each skill so I can be consistent with it and execute it more frequently without so many mistakes.

29 minutes ago, Relentlos said:

For being better with aggression it may take not caring about loss or being DFA'd/killed/destroyed. If you don't want to derank just make a new hunter and use that profile. 

I lag a lot on Ps4 and kind of learned not to tackle or GP much because I was trying to win and it seemed to be killing me with the lag due to many things, most of which are simply non registered moves. Nothing like landing in a flare for an air GP only to be melee'd to death because not only did the air GP not charge, but trying again on the ground just makes the hunter claw and do nothing else :/  Tackles would be annoying for non registers and then getting hit because I basically just run up to the human and do nothing for a second. II sometimes get a second hit because my hunter can't jump high enough to clear a human somehow and if I'm really lucky I'll get a fatal hit after I manage to get 20 feet away. 

So overtime I just relied more on speed, fake outs, spits, and making them mess up or exploiting mistakes they make. It kinda worked but I saw older gameplay and noticed I tackled a lot more back then, so maybe I should try more of it. I got my main hunter to Apex finally after 80 hours of a lot of unbelievably retardedly unplayable games that I somehow won by a hair or by default, so I thought I'd try to make it more fun now.

I made a new hunter and did the whole first mutation facing teams with NO skills. Nothing unlocked. I lost when they were decent, but some were close. Lots of noobs though. Had I had more good players I may have unlocked something. I got better and relying on pounce + instant GP and claws, as well as exploiting mistakes. Well I already was good at that but it's all I had. 

First mutation I unlocked the first horde spit because I had to in order to get anything else, and so I decided to do that mutation with only physical abilities on the right (GP + knockback, tendril/speed, pounce/leapfrog, tackle/knockback. I got a lot better with being aggressive using those moves I used to avoid because other than horde spit, it was all I had. No UV block, no UV spits, just reckless brawls + speed and exploiting mistakes. 

Second mutation I'm on now and I added UV block/duration to the mix because believe it or not, 90% of my deaths in the last mutation were from losing stamina and being unable to escape (I usually did, but sometimes you can't). So now I can be even more reckless and escape. It's fun, it levels me up fast, and I'm already at juggernaut, one win from Widow Maker 'cause a super laggy game in the slums got me rekt. Seriously I could tendrill 20+ feet from a roof then see the camera swing for a super hyper mode drop kick only to find out I'm still on the roof lol. As soon as that happened I'm like yeah this isn't going to be good, not with that kind of lag.. .  I'm pretty sure I even got denied an amazing catch when someone grappled and fell off the edge, back turned to me in mid air. I pounce, the animation spins them around with the light on and I get cancelled. I think I even got DFA'd because of it. Oh well. Hey, extreme lag, no UV spits or spit smash or anything like that, and I got like 4 or 5 of them. Take away the lag and maybe give me some UV suppressors for those flare spammers and I think the aggressive playstyle would outdo that team no problem. 

Might be worth a try for you. Could be fun, be a challenge. If it's not your main profile then getting slaughtered doesn't matter. Play smart and you can still avoid most DFAs and stuff, however the recklessness does open you to those who are good enough to catch you when you are open to it. Of course being reckless you can also practice deflecting DFAs with the upwards tackle. 

Oh that's not a problem at all mate. I am actually a very casual and relaxed player. While I do find a big enjoyment in competitive games I just don't really care about losing and derank. I just enjoy the game and try to have fun while improving and trying to become better. So it should not be a problem at all. I guess I am just not confident in that aggressive playstyle really. I am more of a passive and careful planner, but oh well.. being able to adapt is important. One playstyle might not always work against every opponent.

I already have an Apex save. I got around 110 hours on it by now, been playing a lot trying to get level 60 on it which I got recently. But because of this gp spit being easier without gp knockback I mutated my second hunter and now I basically have all the essential skills on it. Currently a Carnivore. I guess I am aiming to hit a second Apex with it.. Basically since I gave up on my main save after realizing how much better gp spit is without the knockback. 

And yes one of my favorite moves to do is to counter the dfa with tackle. Always a fun thing to do.

Excuse me if there are any grammar mistakes, I am very tired right now.

5 hours ago, Natteee said:

Oh that's not a problem at all mate. I am actually a very casual and relaxed player. While I do find a big enjoyment in competitive games I just don't really care about losing and derank. I just enjoy the game and try to have fun while improving and trying to become better. So it should not be a problem at all. I guess I am just not confident in that aggressive playstyle really. I am more of a passive and careful planner, but oh well.. being able to adapt is important. One playstyle might not always work against every opponent.

I already have an Apex save. I got around 110 hours on it by now, been playing a lot trying to get level 60 on it which I got recently. But because of this gp spit being easier without gp knockback I mutated my second hunter and now I basically have all the essential skills on it. Currently a Carnivore. I guess I am aiming to hit a second Apex with it.. Basically since I gave up on my main save after realizing how much better gp spit is without the knockback. 

And yes one of my favorite moves to do is to counter the dfa with tackle. Always a fun thing to do.

Excuse me if there are any grammar mistakes, I am very tired right now.

Lol you are excused. I normally try to avoid most DFAs but with the aggressive playing lately I'm sometimes forced to try and escape it after a missed tackle lands me stuck against a building. Even with crows standing above while one attacks a nest I'll come in and fake a GP or run, then tendril away only to hear all the legs breaking as they jumped for a DFA lol

The more you mess around trying to be aggressive, the less confidence you need. You can just casually jump in and do some stuff. Tackle here, GP there, claw, I wouldn't even bother trying to rely on GP spits but if there's walls/buildings around it's always good to spit. The knockback even sends them flying upwards a bit sometimes against the wall lining them up perfectly. There's other ways to spit tag anyway. You can spit and lock them into a pounce or tackle animation, come in for a "tackle" but spit in their face and run off instead, spit at a downed player tagging them (free points) and anyone trying to revive. Spit smash of course, though I usually reserve that for people who feel safe in a flare. 

I manage but I don't usually go in with a set play style and set tactics. I just kinda mess around and make it up as I go. If my messing around doesn't work too well then I may have to switch it up, or if the humans camp somewhere trying to get kills then I'd have to come up with a way to deal with that.