CartierC

1v1 is it dead? Discussion.

16 posts in this topic

Before I rant, I'll go ahead and say I'm not one of the best, just another elitist in the community who enjoys the game, I am on PC but I use a controller. Now to get into my rant. Why I believe 1v1 is dead. Toxic spit being as strong as it is now is great in 2v1, 3v1, 4v1 but in 1v1, it's killing me several times in every match when all it takes is a dodged tackle and dodged insta tackle right after while in toxic spit, then I'm dead by toxins. Every time I respawn, hunter has a whole set of spit already. My NH booster only lasts so long and doesn't reduce damage from toxic spit. The cool down time is horrendous because humans run so slow as it is and can't get a 2 handed swing at the hunter when virals are attacking you from behind. In 1v1 I'm old school so I'm not very quick with killing nests, I don't know any exploits and on top of that, I have about 3 or 4 virals and a goon at each nest spawn and shooting the goon about 3 times in the head with explosive arrows and a few ground slams to kill the virals, there goes all the time I had to attack the nest because NH is already respawned.

I can kill the hunter several times and still be trying to get through the first nest because of this. I just got through a match with another great player who's in NM+ whom I managed to kill 9 times but barely got to the 3rd nest. 9 times. That use to be enough to get me to the 5th nest. There's my rant, now for my suggestion.

CALM THE F ### DOWN WITH VIRALS AND GOONS PLEASE. 

Also, I am open to any tips on how to kill nests faster because I'd rather just brawl it out with the hunter and disregard nests all together.

Hello Survivors, !!

1v1 is my favorite way to play BTZ. I am on PS4 -auntmarie33 is my PSN. My advice is to gear up for a match. Have a Knife with Bolter poison  for the nests and I can kill a nest in 7-8 seconds with a head level attack, any lower and you get extra animation ( I recently upgraded an Orange Fabulous Dagger with bolter poison about 1600 ish damage (but I am boosted 6x with 1 handed weapons in Legend level, so I get a little extra). MY average match time is 20- 30 minutes.

As for stragety in attacking Nests I like to thin out the Goons & Virals first, Remember they DO Not go Nuts Until you hit a Nest!! So attack the Virals first. As they are the toughest, I will get pounched when I am fighting the Virals, but not as much if I go for the nests 1st. So back to Virals they can take 2 or 3 Shotgun hits from afar , just as much as a Goon up close (usually 4 headshots). I have not had much luck with the Exploding arrows (I think they recently lessened the damage). But never forget your strategy. Know the location of the Hunter and his pounce meter ( if full hitem with the Light and then attack 1 viral and then hit your survivor sense (Where is he), I know you have trouble with the toxic spit, but if your health is above 200 you should be able to stand like 2-3 seconds in the spit find a safe out then grapple out. I have more trouble with Horde spits , but have recently got better at running away via watching the HUD display for the late red arrow of a bomber who is more likely to get you.

Nests: again I think the consensus for killing nests is the Knife Or Better for me the Dagger with your most powerful upgrades, Bolter poison and your best upgrades- King-King- Brute+ Bolter Poison and a base HP of 1200 or so. Its not as challenging for me now , but I love the head -to head battle with the NH. Spidergamez on utoob and some other good ones have more strategy for killing nests. If you are taking more than 7-8 seconds I would like to know and any other strategy that does it in less time.

Ps how many kills in Carmageddon  anyone. Me get Over 500 and got a bunch of skins oooohhhh

I've also played on Xbox one and PS4 but I don't find the hunters nearly as challenging as they are on PC which is why I stick with PC, but now, either I've gotten worse or hunters have gotten a lot better. I also play with no hud and only use sense to seek out nest once. But even with hud, I still find virals and goons ridiculous in 1v1, I can't see how we can expect new comers to not use cheats when their only weapons are a pipe wrench and fireworks. I even tried to help a new guy 1v1 and let him win but the virals singlehandedly defeated him, it was hilarious.

8 hours ago, CartierC said:

I've also played on Xbox one and PS4 but I don't find the hunters nearly as challenging as they are on PC which is why I stick with PC, but now, either I've gotten worse or hunters have gotten a lot better. I also play with no hud and only use sense to seek out nest once. But even with hud, I still find virals and goons ridiculous in 1v1, I can't see how we can expect new comers to not use cheats when their only weapons are a pipe wrench and fireworks. I even tried to help a new guy 1v1 and let him win but the virals singlehandedly defeated him, it was hilarious.

Too true, i just started the game like a week ago and even if you get good weapons, in Be the zombie as a hunter in 1v1 is really difficult.. it surely becomes really decent in 2v1. Also for some reason in my experience... it feels like 3v1 or 4v1 its again difficult against the zombie. Hard to balance it out since with a lot of practice it becomes better... however it is definitely not noob/user friendly and is the main reason why they also decide to go Zombie it seems? maybe we can check this and try to PERHAPS not balance it out but give more rewards to hunters? so at least is a reason for them/us to keep playing it.

Just my 2 cents. 

Of course it depends who you're playing and how many hours each side has sunk into the game mode. So indeed, a hunter can seem incredibly dominant in 1v1, particularly if they're using their spits well, and here the game can be less than gentle with folks just starting out. There were patches where casual survivors who didn't play thousands of hours could pose an advanced hunter at least some problems, virtue of being a group. But ever since the game mode moved from being a fun distraction to become an increasingly competitive multiplayer affair, with all of us obsessing on balance, user friendliness was increasingly swept under the rug and those survivors are now seen as having been "OP". I've mentioned user friendliness towards beginners several times to no avail, even if some suggestions from these pages are escalated to a level where they at times do influence the next patch. Apparently the cult following will last forever with infinite beginners flocking to the game.

And holistic approaches where both hunters and survivors are incentivized to play and act as a community are absent. With the potential we see the game mode to have on special weekends, I don't see why folks aren't interested to go "Dying Light Total Nightmare": full deal, minimal cool downs on grapple hook and spits, sickest, fastest movement, huge drop kick range etc. I think you get the picture. Make it insane and fun, while leaving folks the option of playing the "balanced version", then we'd see what people decide to play.

As far as survivor tips: survivors are their own worst enemies. Move less predictably, try to exert initiative when the hunter engages, always have some escape available + have a two handed weapon ready when you see they're throwing the kitchen sink at you while leaving you no other choice. Take the hit but force them to take one too. Do not give away the initiative, avoid taking routes to other nests that overly expose or trap you and play some hunter. Get the other side of the story as it will help model what the other side is doing/thinking giving you better odds at beating them to the punch time wise. But with the kinds of patch changes of late, it'll become increasingly difficult to say much about general principles of the thing. With less tactics for the hunter to break up humans and the repeated nerfing of both hunter and human abilities for competitive reasons, as I mentioned concerning GP spit combo in other threads, the game increasingly resembles an awkward sort of tag game. Still had fun today, although the folks I tend to play with regularly as well as yours truly, play less.

You're doing something very wrong if ''you've killed the Hunter several times while still on the first nest''. 1v1 is easier than ever now that you don't have to worry about GP-spit, and killing the Hunter on the nest always equates to a dead nest. 

As for killing the spawns, I personally got back to the good old Toxic Bolt + Tackle + 2 Slices strat, only I added quick grapples in between, canceled into a Tackle to shorten the recoil time after a slice. Does a decent job.

Edited by Vallon

Those are things I can't do with a controller. I'm temporarily on a laptop until November but after seeing recent videos on youtube, hunters should not be winning by such a huge margin against some of the best survivors 2 or 3 nests left. I've had similar experiences with hunters I've beaten before, sometimes it'd be evenly matched and now it feels like a huge accomplishment just getting passed the 3rd nest. how can the rest of us (average players) even enjoy a 1v1 at this point? Not to mention hunter spamming tackle and insta tackle in a closed area which almost every nest location is a closed area, there is nothing you can do, even dodging the first tackle becomes pointless because the 2nd is sure to get you, these are all things that need to be patched or nerfed. If you can't win a straight up 1v1 without the use of some cheap tactics that only some players can do, than you're making 1v1 entirely for a select few players. 

My rant is entirely for 1v1 matches, insta tackle, virals, goons and such used against groups feels necessary but in 1v1 it's cheap, it's certain death in several nest locations. I have some footage coming when I get the time to upload it with my terrible wifi but it's a match of me getting repeatedly insta tackled at a nest until I lost whether I dodged the first one or not, the 2nd tackle can't be dodged, the hunter did not even need spit at this point, it was literally cat and mouse. Any time I came close to this nest, it was tackle, insta tackle and then I was in toxic spit and dead or uv spit is out and pounced because getting up isn't fast enough to throw a flare. That's all I have to say about this. 1v1 was my favorite but now I can't even deal with the average hunter.

15 hours ago, CartierC said:

Those are things I can't do with a controller. I'm temporarily on a laptop until November but after seeing recent videos on youtube, hunters should not be winning by such a huge margin against some of the best survivors 2 or 3 nests left. I've had similar experiences with hunters I've beaten before, sometimes it'd be evenly matched and now it feels like a huge accomplishment just getting passed the 3rd nest. how can the rest of us (average players) even enjoy a 1v1 at this point? Not to mention hunter spamming tackle and insta tackle in a closed area which almost every nest location is a closed area, there is nothing you can do, even dodging the first tackle becomes pointless because the 2nd is sure to get you, these are all things that need to be patched or nerfed. If you can't win a straight up 1v1 without the use of some cheap tactics that only some players can do, than you're making 1v1 entirely for a select few players. 

My rant is entirely for 1v1 matches, insta tackle, virals, goons and such used against groups feels necessary but in 1v1 it's cheap, it's certain death in several nest locations. I have some footage coming when I get the time to upload it with my terrible wifi but it's a match of me getting repeatedly insta tackled at a nest until I lost whether I dodged the first one or not, the 2nd tackle can't be dodged, the hunter did not even need spit at this point, it was literally cat and mouse. Any time I came close to this nest, it was tackle, insta tackle and then I was in toxic spit and dead or uv spit is out and pounced because getting up isn't fast enough to throw a flare. That's all I have to say about this. 1v1 was my favorite but now I can't even deal with the average hunter.

Hi CartierC, if you are playing on PC, dont even bother playing on a controller. Use mouse and keyboard. Playing with a controller on a PC is like playing football with one leg.

Insta tackle can be avoided, just use grapple and cancel immediately after first tackle or go above hunter. Press forward after first tackle and try to land on the other side of the hunter trying to insta tackle you, it works very often.

Average player shouldn't speak about balance, Average player should lose with pro player, margin should be even larger, but due to stupid autoabalance mechanic average players still can kill 2 or 3 nests in my opinion. Those best survivors you are thinking of are not that best. (mr. freeman for example  - very average). If you want good survivors look for vallon, lucasK, they were hard to beat even before patch when gp spit was doable. Average player who just wants to win can't enjoy a match with a very good hunter player. Instead of learning new tactics he complains that other side is OP. Hunter can't really spam anything, he is indded very limited in his attacks comparing to human. Human can spam dodge, hunter can only spam tendril... lol, everything else is limited. You said that dodging first tackle is pointless, it is up to you to decide what will bring you the better result, dodging or getting hit. When i play as a hunter there are many situations when my successful tackle with 90 hp left leads to my 100% death so i am not doing it. You have to make a decision, not spam dodge without thinking. You can't deal with average hunter because they just got better, there are many vidoes on youtube presenting how to kill and avoid attacks like a pro.

1 hour ago, EMtriX said:

Average player shouldn't speak about balance, Average player should lose with pro player, margin should be even larger, but due to stupid autoabalance mechanic average players still can kill 2 or 3 nests in my opinion. Those best survivors you are thinking of are not that best. (mr. freeman for example  - very average).

This assumes that alleged non-pro players cannot discuss their opinions and share their points of view concerning a game mode for lack of experience. And that is the topic of this thread: is 1v1 dead bearing in mind the vastly different experience and playing styles that folks have. This state-of-affairs is user unfriendly to most.

Following that reasoning is another version of "let's have a serious competition to see who has the longest... uhm mouse cable." That's another topic and if somebody wants to organize competitions and really, really, really determine who is the best in some format where players prove consistently, over hundreds of matches, who has the... "longest, biggest, fatest mouse cable" under controlled, arbitrated, standardized non-lag, no bug circumstances... Then those people should organize those competitions, play among themselves and folks wish them happiness, if they even care. This narrative leads to same lame elitism as everywhere else: what happens when folks believe in the best? Little exclusive groups of princesses form that exclude others from play and fun.

People can have higher standards than that, understanding that whoever is "best", if we must use this crude description, has a larger community interest than extending some dominance: If they play with positive attitude, treat others as good folks no matter their skills, then it's enough as they use their luck/ability to enlarge and detoxify the community from being in some idiotic competition with itself, confusing the game with reality; instead they enlarge the player base with positive attitude, good vibes, and motivate beginners to get better and not let a simple difference in experience/luck isolate them into groups of princesses. In short: if some elite shares the knowledge and advantage, people will respect them for being real people and not playing princess groups and hogging advantages and "best stickers and toys" like children in school. That respect will be based on real sportsmanship AND grow the player base along with the recognition that those players seek for the hours and effort they put in. Naturally.

User friendliness was brought up by CartierC and Sanlucifer, which exposes a question for any playing community. A community calling itself a community while sidelining less skilled/experienced players and their concerns is perhaps less a community and more a band of merry princesses that want to play alone forever against other lonely princesses. And this feels unhealthy because it is... and there are better ways and players out there: to me honest, simple types, that greet and play respectfully, regardless of what I feel to be their skills, are a better use of my time than lost princesses trying to prove their cable to be so long they forget themselves, forget to laugh/have fun, forget the community, and forget that they once were beginners that benefited off other people being cool enough to show them the game, tricks, strategy etc.

You can't relate nuances of play through on screen hints and indeed a lot of that stuff is on youtube. Share the links if you feel so inclined.

But user friendliness at some point, and the death or life of 1v1 and this game mode in general, is also tied to the attitudes of those that play. End rant mode. ;)  

As always you wrote in  a lot of text. In this case your words taken as a whole don't make much sense. So let me explain how i see this topic. 1v1 is not for faint-hearted people. If you want chill you can play 2,3,4v1 modes whcih are super easy for humans. When someone plays 1v1 it means he wants a challenge, he is willing to learn new tactics, he treats game like an intellectual puzzle, considering both players are equal in dexterity and reaction time. 1v1 should show who is better player, not please casuals who just want to win without any effort. If you are designing a pvp experience you shouldn't take into consideration what an average players think because average player doesn't know how to play, if he wants to win against experienced players he should get better, not change the other side's abilities so he can have an easy win. Remember people complaining about gp+spit ? With some imagination players managed to figure out how to avoid them, but casual players with lack of imagination were complaining to the point that developer disabled this combo lol :) Casuals will destroy everything.

27 minutes ago, EMtriX said:

As always you wrote in  a lot of text.

It describes the oversimplification of invoking a personal concept of "the best" to push one's interpretation of the game at the price of community, fun of personal experience, and user friendliness that became a topic raised in this thread. If you can explain this "oversimplification" without nuance and precision in less words, then share it and I will be taking notes like your good student. :D

38 minutes ago, EMtriX said:

So let me explain how i see this topic. 1v1 is not for faint-hearted people.

I'm not so sure. For many people 1v1 is the most common form of multiplayer due to it being the most common and accessible result of the online matchmaking process. This notion of genuine courage being required to play a zombie game displays your fine sense of humor mocking teenagers, I suppose.

47 minutes ago, EMtriX said:

When someone plays 1v1 it means he wants a challenge, he is willing to learn new tactics, he treats game like an intellectual puzzle, considering both players are equal in dexterity and reaction time.

It depends who they are. Some folks may play with such an attitude and with such values; my point is that there is a great variety of playing styles and insisting that everybody follow one's own playing style is unrealistic.

53 minutes ago, EMtriX said:

If you are designing a pvp experience you shouldn't take into consideration what an average players think because average player doesn't know how to play, if he wants to win against experienced players he should get better, not change the other side's abilities so he can have an easy win.

That's already in danger of becoming elitism. And at some point such elitism turns into discrimination. With that logic only the most skilled/experienced players should exist and play alone. But how do the most skilled/experienced players acquire such experience?

That's why elitism fails here and why all players' concerns and opinions make up the state of the game.

1 hour ago, EMtriX said:

Remember people complaining about gp+spit ? With some imagination players managed to figure out how to avoid them, but casual players with lack of imagination were complaining to the point that developer disabled this combo lol :) Casuals will destroy everything.

Playing games is a casual activity. When games stop becoming casual entertainment, then you get competition. Competition is the real admission of the lack of imagination you speak of: it means there is no other way to decide who gets what, than to fight like animals. That's about as unimaginative/common as humans can get.

When competition gets more serious than that, people pick up the real weapons and get "real serious", right? That's why I agree to disagree with your interpretation of this game or games in general. User friendliness and a general attitude to take it easy is the same as respect for others. A player to me never lacks some magical "imagination"; just experience and exposure to correct information. And without the players with less experience, who will educate and play the "pros" and buy the game?

That said, I know you're casual too: if you were totally "serious/pro" you wouldn't be in a community forum sharing tips, which shows a good/respectful player's attitude, so I see that you understand what I'm saying. It's OK to disagree. Folks like me however are immune to arguments that appeal to skill, name, reputation, or some simplifying notion of "best xyz" and will ask questions. If what you say is true about disabling Gp spit combo, then the developer should have shared that with all parts of the community fast enough so that we could take a more active role in defending it. Here again, there could be more beneficial communication between all instead of dumbing things down because everybody just listens to themselves instead of figuring out what's going on.

21 hours ago, Chickeninja said:

I'm not so sure. For many people 1v1 is the most common form of multiplayer due to it being the most common and accessible result of the online matchmaking process. This notion of genuine courage being required to play a zombie game displays your fine sense of humor mocking teenagers, I suppose.

I think that majority of people would agree with me that in Dying Light 1v1 is the hardest mode because margin of error is smaller than in 2,3,4v1, there is no one to back you up when you make a mistake. Correct me if i am wrong but I understood that you are referring to the multiplayer as a whole, not only dying light pvp. If i am correct, please don't refer to other games when we are talking about DL.

It depends who they are. Some folks may play with such an attitude and with such values; my point is that there is a great variety of playing styles and insisting that everybody follow one's own playing style is unrealistic.

You are right, it depends who ther are, but i was thinking about playing 1v1 in the long run, i should emphasize that. Guys who are not determined enough will drop the mode because it is too exhausting. From my perspective vast majority of players says that 1v1 is too hard and they prefer 2,3,4v1. Only few ones are good enough to play 1v1's consistently without complaining that hunter is OP I can't agree with you that there is a great variety of playing styles. It is not a multi-class based game with different playstyles, when you choose one side you have to obey the rules which in the end are leading you to one and only right playstyle. Just look at the best players, they all do the same, dodge+slice, tackle+slice, grapple-cancel. Otherwise you lose. There were more fancy moves, but after update things are simpler than ever. So in the long run, every 1v1 player will follow this style or he will drop the 1v1 assuming he wants to win :)

That's already in danger of becoming elitism. And at some point such elitism turns into discrimination. With that logic only the most skilled/experienced players should exist and play alone. But how do the most skilled/experienced players acquire such experience? That's why elitism fails here and why all players' concerns and opinions make up the state of the game.

Elitism and discrimination is there and always will be, this is how humans work, we can't do anything to change that. Changing nature of some species is topic for completely different topic. That world mechanism or logic as you say, doesn't mean that only the most skilled players should exist. Valve solved this problem by creating a multiplayer ranks and matchmaking based on that ranks. Less skilled players are playing with less skilled players and everyone is happy :).

Playing games is a casual activity. When games stop becoming casual entertainment, then you get competition. Competition is the real admission of the lack of imagination you speak of: it means there is no other way to decide who gets what, than to fight like animals. That's about as unimaginative/common as humans can get.

When competition gets more serious than that, people pick up the real weapons and get "real serious", right? That's why I agree to disagree with your interpretation of this game or games in general. User friendliness and a general attitude to take it easy is the same as respect for others. A player to me never lacks some magical "imagination"; just experience and exposure to correct information. And without the players with less experience, who will educate and play the "pros" and buy the game?

Playing games is casual for most people, but not for everyone, some people are so good that they can wow others with their skills and earn money on this, this is called hardcore\pro playing. For me hardcore playing requires the attitude of a keen student and a lot of time and "work" you have to put into game to know about the smallest details. You said that competition is the admission of the lack of imagination. I completely don't undestand what you are trying to say.... so i will skip that part. There is nothing wrong in competing... people are competing over everything just for fun. Competing doesn't harm imagination. Some players are just more intelligent than others, you just can't deny it :). Imagination is needed to create an opportunity. Some players have 20000 hours in game and still playing like newbies. This is the reality.

That said, I know you're casual too: if you were totally "serious/pro" you wouldn't be in a community forum sharing tips, which shows a good/respectful player's attitude, so I see that you understand what I'm saying. It's OK to disagree. Folks like me however are immune to arguments that appeal to skill, name, reputation, or some simplifying notion of "best xyz" and will ask questions. If what you say is true about disabling Gp spit combo, then the developer should have shared that with all parts of the community fast enough so that we could take a more active role in defending it. Here again, there could be more beneficial communication between all instead of dumbing things down because everybody just listens to themselves instead of figuring out what's going on.

You are right, i am casual, pro playing is out of option because i have a full time job and i am 28 years old. I Play occasionally, but i am surely above average and i see some problems easier to solve than average player, i am looking for solutions instead of complaining. I complain when some things are really unfair after trying many other ways and discussing things with other top players. Being pro and sharing tips are not excluding itself. There are many pro's on youtube sharing tips.

I don't understand why you have to go on to volunteer information from your private life into a discussion on oversimplification related to an unfortunate patch change, but go ahead: share your whole life story if you feel like that's somehow connected. I have no comment, same as with intelligence, playing styles, skills etc. of other people. And no, there are examples in world history of where human cooperation, including factoring in the self-interest and abilities of different groups/individuals, prevails over primitive notions of elitism and discrimination. If you don't see this then perhaps your reading habits could use a Techland patch update. :lol:

And if your definition of intelligence can be so easily derived from "who wins which competition or who wins in some test" - then you reduce intelligence to problem solving, when you could argue that it is more related to the general capacity to adapt to an unspecified situation without the simplifying comfort of a clear game, without a game's simple rules and objectives.

For instance, it can be argued that the capacity to come up with new problems or games is closer to intelligence than excellence in just one game/test, which is closer to competence, like driving a car or something. Again on something like other peoples' intelligence or skills, I try not to simplify because people are more than their skills at solving games/problems, reputations, skin color, their illness or health, their age, their profiles, preferences, politics, religions, usefulness etc. 

Nothing wrong with competing? Yes in the casual sense, but perhaps less when people become too serious and take out real weapons, or for example get so hypnotized by games that they waste their lives gambling with themselves or playing games without having fun. Then competition with yourself can somehow damage imagination or even freedom, which I don't consider intelligent. Yes, these are all fun topics, but I'm less interested these days to discuss such things in public on the web, where people including yourself above, want everything spoon fed to them in less than 100 characters, even if the things they bring up are perhaps more nuanced/complicated than that. Such raw notions of intelligence or skills devalue real people, for example persons that don't play a game or persons that can't even afford a PC, children, or the many disabled people and so on, which is why I never found them as convincing as say a discovery in mathematics, science, art etc. in terms of indicating intelligence.

I think the point that 1v1 is challenging from both sides, as long as it isn't dumbed down again and again... whatever the reason, has been made. The tips people offered were good and as survivor I sometimes had the impression that the many virals, goons, and particularly the bugs associated with them, e.g. kill a goon with a good shot only to have them vanish the next moment and spawn somewhere else are as frustrating as the hunter grabbing polygons on some hill or superfluous edge.

So to comment on the thread title and give my observations as a player who beat campaign recently but new to BTZ as a survivor.  I could care less about rank nor could care about others spamming tactics personally.  I casually enjoy playing and Dying Light is my favorite.  What I have learned with BTZ (1v1 survivor) is this.  You will die.  You will die a lot.  At least initially.  So what.  Use that to learn, not rage quit and/or give up on this mode.  Each hunter has a unique play style (as well as survivor) and each hunter has different abilities - so do you as the survivor.  You are forced to learn more than just what the campaign mode offers the first time through - you have to be able to split second switch your inventory depending on the situation, master all the tactical movements, interleaving flares/uv, shield, dodge, grenades, etc.  Everything is counterable in some way.  If someone is spamming a movement, you grind it out to find how to counter it.  But yes, its really hard which is why it is exhilarating, and you become an even better player over time.  I thought that the NH was way OP for 1v1, and it is only if you qualify it with the fact that most are untrained for this style of game play initially.  

Bottom-line for me is that I am newer to this mode and understand the difficulty for others.  I spent many hours reading online and researching if it was worth my time to try and compete because things were "unbalanced" or I was always paired with some mid-to-upper ranking NH.  But its actually quite simple, you have to master what you have, and master the "chess board" by not giving up the initiative.   If you lose, its because you still have work to do.  

But yes, 1v1 is my primary way of playing BTZ as a survivor and the challenge for me is like crack (I guess) :)  I appreciate it, but If I was a rank chaser and not out to just have fun and appreciate a good solid battle, I probably would have given up or gone to another way of playing (non 1v1).  

On 7/11/2017 at 3:30 PM, Chickeninja said:

Nothing wrong with competing? Yes in the casual sense, but perhaps less when people become too serious and take out real weapons, or for example get so hypnotized by games that they waste their lives gambling with themselves or playing games without having fun. Then competition with yourself can somehow damage imagination or even freedom, which I don't consider intelligent.

In what instance does this ever happen in esports?  Please provide specific examples. 

On 16.7.2017 at 6:09 AM, zankthetank111 said:

So to comment on the thread title and give my observations as a player who beat campaign recently but new to BTZ as a survivor.  I could care less about rank nor could care about others spamming tactics personally.  I casually enjoy playing and Dying Light is my favorite.  What I have learned with BTZ (1v1 survivor) is this.  You will die.  You will die a lot.  At least initially.  So what.  Use that to learn, not rage quit and/or give up on this mode.  Each hunter has a unique play style (as well as survivor) and each hunter has different abilities - so do you as the survivor.  You are forced to learn more than just what the campaign mode offers the first time through - you have to be able to split second switch your inventory depending on the situation, master all the tactical movements, interleaving flares/uv, shield, dodge, grenades, etc.  Everything is counterable in some way.  If someone is spamming a movement, you grind it out to find how to counter it.  But yes, its really hard which is why it is exhilarating, and you become an even better player over time.  I thought that the NH was way OP for 1v1, and it is only if you qualify it with the fact that most are untrained for this style of game play initially.  

Bottom-line for me is that I am newer to this mode and understand the difficulty for others.  I spent many hours reading online and researching if it was worth my time to try and compete because things were "unbalanced" or I was always paired with some mid-to-upper ranking NH.  But its actually quite simple, you have to master what you have, and master the "chess board" by not giving up the initiative.   If you lose, its because you still have work to do.  

But yes, 1v1 is my primary way of playing BTZ as a survivor and the challenge for me is like crack (I guess) :)  I appreciate it, but If I was a rank chaser and not out to just have fun and appreciate a good solid battle, I probably would have given up or gone to another way of playing (non 1v1).  

That's a good summary. There's so much experience in these forums, as I said to Emtrix, it'd be healthy for the community, e.g. for people who just beat the campaign and are getting into multiplayer to have some links referring to high quality PC/Console game play on Youtube say, if only to sort through the many videos and make sure people get up-to-date instructional info on mechanics, patches etc. that'll help their play, instead of being fun to watch or very flashy without much info. Awareness of map, general strategy themed videos, your item selection and switching routines, an advanced guide on the use of the grapple hook, how to hunt FAST... there are many possibilities here.

With so many folks in this forum having experience and good advice, they could get themselves heard and seen more if they filled that need, as well as making the forum more useful, this late in the game, excuse the pun. And it doesn't have to be all self-edited vids either: threads with people sharing who and what they watch, or why it helps them, would be fine additions that'd help raise the bar in terms of quality play for everybody.