Quicksilver

Be the Zombie Competition

6 posts in this topic

Hi Techland!
Wouldn't it be awesome to have a competition to finally found out who's the best hunter/survivor out there?

I'm thinking like a football style competition setup, qualifiers, quarterfinals, semifinals and final (sent live perhaps?).

Thanks for an awesome game!

Edited by Quicksilver
typo

I would personally like that. However, from what I've seen and read, Techland don't really care about the competitive side of their game much. They prefer Dying Light to be as casual-friendly as possible, so something like a tournament would be pretty low on their list of things to do, especially this late in the game, plus tourneys that are strictly online and without an actual engagement are difficult to manage properly.

I could be wrong, though - maybe Pete's always wanted to unleash his inner beast. 

On 3.7.2017 at 6:18 PM, Vallon said:

I would personally like that. However, from what I've seen and read, Techland don't really care about the competitive side of their game much. They prefer Dying Light to be as casual-friendly as possible, so something like a tournament would be pretty low on their list of things to do, especially this late in the game, plus tourneys that are strictly online and without an actual engagement are difficult to manage properly.

I could be wrong, though - maybe Pete's always wanted to unleash his inner beast. 

Lol, unleashing the inner beast is never the problem... paying for the thing and making it worth the time and money to organize is. I bet they wouldn't mind though: like balancing discussions, folks wanting to prove their skills, Youtube streams, social media buzz... it's all free advertising for them.

It's in their interest that players take their games personally, seriously, and see themselves as competitors in an epic struggle for world domination over zombie pixels. Players becoming walking advertisements talking about how awesome serious competitions would be, kinda drives this point home like no other. Even if the game mode started as a curious distraction from single player, it is clear that all the buzz has morphed it into a more competitively oriented multiplayer experience.

Nah, that's why I steer clear from the balancing discussions and mention more what I think is fun or less fun. Don't even know if I'd be interested to watch such a competition... perhaps if I had endless time and it were somehow a planetary issue with a larger audience. Otherwise, meh... with the latest patch changes again removing edge and directness, I play less already because quality game play is what matters more than stats of whether hunters or survivors are winning enough or what high level players and/or devs think. If the hunter can't spit straight due to competitive concerns, then I see this less as casual-friendly and congratulate all the competitive, non-casual, serious players and voices out there: you're getting what you want and no worries regarding competitions: In time, folks will figure how to profit of other people's competitive preferences and fantasies here too. 

Casual in my eyes would be higher degrees of freedom generally, for all players. It's clear we haven't seen that outside of odd weekend tweaks or since the new map/buggy, as most patches seem designed to tame a game mode that had great potential and at times, got awesome perhaps because it wasn't quite balanced and was over-the-top in some ways.

A competition would be cool!  No plans for one on our side at the moment.  I would love to hear if anyone in the community organizes one themselves though!

It could be called "Champions League: Worst Patch Ever- Games", with grandiose choir driven orchestral intros and fancy graphics, where the winners are rigged to be the non-participants that refuse to play. They would each get a lunchbox if they've made ultimate survivor, or a spinner for those who've made Apex, surviving the summer patch of 2017.

Or you have the elite players rounded up ready to play "Oh no, not another patch!", where in every round some awesome, fun ability (which the audience sees but the players have to "learn by doing") gets nerfed and the audience gets to see game play and the genuine effect of a patch change on living humans that once enjoyed the game. :)

Jokes aside, it is fascinating how quickly people turn from criticizing to "wow yum, let's have competitions etc". Especially since the weekend events and the patch changes point towards one fact: the game mode can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Give folks a choice and they will flock to the best settings but rule via "executive order of the patch", and players have no choice. Even if they pretend to themselves that they do: E.g. some player insists on serious play, but finally will play - no matter the settings they themselves complain about - then it becomes clear that that choice isn't real and that the criticism is perhaps not too reliable either.

I lean towards those that saw issues with the last patch + those that seek more control over the game mode, and wish everybody that does want to compete and/or play casually one thing: not another patch change because by now you know what that can mean.