Joluk

Flashlight

7 posts in this topic

Hello Community,

I have a question if there is a possibility to modify the flashlight inside of the tools. The normal one is way to strong for my plans. Or is there a way to create a new items the player can hold and use as a flashlight?

best regards,

Joluk

For the flashlight you can modify it but you need to add new files into the project/data folder.

I ´m making a mod exactly for the same reason, i feel like the default flashlight is like a lighthouse .

So i managed to modify it in the inventory.scr but you need other files to apply it in custom maps.

So it ´s not finished yet but i can confirm it is working.

That sounds good!

But there is only the inventory_gen_workshop.scr and the collectables_workshop.scr in my files.

I know I can modify the flashlight in inventory.scr but I never found out how to add this file to my map.

Can you tell me what you are trying in your mod? maybe we can find a solution together :)

That sounds good!

But there is only the inventory_gen_workshop.scr and the collectables_workshop.scr in my files.

I know I can modify the flashlight in inventory.scr but I never found out how to add this file to my map.

Can you tell me what you are trying in your mod? maybe we can find a solution together :)

Yeah, inside your project there ´s only the inventory_gen_workshop.scr but you need to take the game files into your project.

So find the dying light /dw/data0.pak and extract it somewhere with 7zip then, copy the data/scripts/inventory

Folder into your project folder.

Then find the inventory.scr and edit the first flashlight in the script (Flashlight_Basic)and change the light angle and range.

But the game ´s scripts folder is full of files that the mod

Don ´t need.

I already made the beta mod but i need to remove all files

That don't affect the flashlight to keep the project directory

As clean as possible.

I modified those lines into the Inventory.scr

FullLightAngle(15.0);
        DimLightAngle(15.0);
        FullLightRange(15.0);
        DimLightRange(25.0);

There's the link for the mod i made:

https://mega.nz/#!09BGSB5T!Av5Mob3pIfHdxxDBLCo201KWrFQC-iqCUcRrF20MuOs4

(this is a beta mod so it needs to be cleaned until there's only needed files in it)

Look inside red dead planet, how techland devs added

The gravity mod during their gamejam because the map creators asked them to apply the mod in custom maps.

They added the whole odephysics folder (odephysics game folder) inside the project/data folder of the custom map

Then they edited the physicsWalkfly.scr or some script.

I mean there ´s only one or two files they modified for the mod but the files are linked with some methods or include

And import functions .

This is why modding custom maps need all the files that are linked to be applied in the map.

Not just one file like in game mods cause game mods

Are installed in the game path where all the game files are stored.

I mean that we can mod custom maps and add any file we want to modify anything but we need to add all related files

That will link our mod to the game or the custom map

Player will read the data0.pak files instead of our mod

And this will not work when you test.

Edited by cr1m3

Ah ok I understand what the main problem is.
So modifying the flashlight works fine, but your mod is in the beta because you don't want, that there are so many files in your mod that the mod doesn't need?
Ok but this only will affect the download size by a little? Why not keeping the unnecessary files? They don't harm the mod right?

Ah ok I understand what the main problem is.

So modifying the flashlight works fine, but your mod is in the beta because you don't want, that there are so many files in your mod that the mod doesn't need?

Ok but this only will affect the download size by a little? Why not keeping the unnecessary files? They don't harm the mod right?

Yeah, it is beta because the light shaft is smaller than the default light but there ´s a light attached to the player that

Is not realistic and not scary.

Also because there ´s too much scripts and it is confusing

When you mod.

But it should not harm the mod or map.

I hope this is what you wanted to change in your map.

For my map i want some kind of alan wake flashlight

Effect also a smaller light shatf so that there ´s more jump scares when you are in the dark, also more tension.

Yes this light ball around the player is wierd and it kills the atmosphere. I will try to delete it somehow and if you find a way please tell me.

This is what I wanted for my map but I will tweak the settings for my purposes.

I was also able to apply the battery draining effect to the flashlight and I would really love to always have that weak flickering flashlight. Maybe this is something for you too.

When the player is looking to the left and right it would be cool if the flashlight is not as fast moving as the player. Like in Resident Evil 7. I really love this effect.

If I find something I will post it here so everybody can use it.