Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pete Donnelly

Zombiefest #2 Christmas Weekend!

20 posts in this topic

This custom mode has to be the worse thus far, but at least this NH has found an effective way to beat the odds using NH's Health regen/UV Shield;

Albeit this NH is quick-matching against low ranked players for the most part and once his two UV shields are depleted he's back to being a punching bag like the rest of us who seek more of a challenge (I tend to manually look for games with more than one survivor).

I'm glad this streamer found something that gives NH somewhat of a chance.

No tackle is a problem as GP is useless unless you live in spike city , pounce is the only weapon.

The only thing you can do now is to hide and sneak.

I played hide&seek with group of 2 and 4 PRO players on PC and managed to gain 5 kills max.

Rather weird mode.

The worst thing is that you are forced to be active only near nests, humans are invisible and you don't know where they are while traveling from nest to nest.

Edited by sanjyuubi

No tackle is a problem as GP is useless unless you live in spike city , pounce is the only weapon.

The only thing you can do now is to hide and sneak.

I played hide&seek with group of 2 and 4 PRO players on PC and managed to gain 5 kills max.

Rather weird mode.

The worst thing is that you are forced to be active only near nests, humans are invisible and you don't know where they are while traveling from nest to nest.

These are problems that have long existed with BtZ, now exacerbated by this supposedly fair mode.

GPs are not only marginally effective but 9 out of 10 times overriden by drop kicks and attacks (from gold tier weapons). What use is GP? Gp was marketed at first as an escape maneuver.

I wish they'd put more thought into a mode like this. Survivors are left with all melee / weapon attacks and full inventories (minus their 2 flares) while NH is stripped down to GP and claw. Bc you're like me, a NH who seeks out challenges, this weekend we know that there will always be that one Survivor who's on the look out for NH from high ground (while the others chop away at nests). One missed Pounce on look-out Survivor(s) and DfA. There are many other ways to approach a similar situation.

If NH even comes close to a victory this weekend, it's bc of boosting; a NH joins a friend's match and freely kills them.

Pete and Techland: I was thinking that a good ZombieFest weekend would be No Grapple and No Tendrils. Back to parkour.

It is Christmas and while nobody really has time to edit or upload videos, much less fully explore a tweaked game mode, I can nonetheless offer 2 compressed games from hunter point of view for those of us interested in the possibilities of the thing. Hope you can get something out of this before the event ends.

First off: if folks approach these modified settings from a background of playing styles that are aggressive, tactical, or relying heavily on high level techniques and forced combos ‘n sequences… You'll be disappointed because these games feature none of that. No genius combinations or moves, which seems to be the point. 

Because it's these types of -in your face- brawler anywhere- playing styles, particularly for hunters that seem to place them at a disadvantage in this weekend event because the tweaks:

1. No Howl 2. No Spit 3. No Tackle 4. (2) UV Block/Heal per life

negate close range tactical abilities; the very mechanisms at the core of aggressive, confrontational playing styles. So far, I've seen a few hunters frustrated by looking for a fight, only to be overpowered close range by survivor arsenals/melee. 

On the other hand, more strategy oriented, ninja hide and attack playing styles seem to be rewarded, which is what I tried to show in the vid. To be blunt, a hunter just wanting to get into a fist fight with his tactical bag of tricks… with survivors wherever and whenever… is almost impossible given these settings. The only way for the hunter to retain his edge under these circumstances is to focus on the character's core advantage: speed. More similar to predators in the wild who observe from far away, then move in for the kill as fast as they can at the right moment.

A Hunter who is one or two streets away from survivors is invisible! No direction is given by survivors' HUD and a hunter's initial trajectory into an encounter can therefore be hidden. Almost completely b4 he closes in. I dub it Ninja mode. And yeah, I too met some hunters that still had spits enabled, which is unfortunate as it tends to anger survivors. Some of these hunters seemed clueless about that fact though. 

My guess is that as cool as these changes are, with this awesome minimalist feel, that they won't be well received as many folks, hunters and survivors, love the aggressive, hack-and-slash, dominate your enemy style approaches, and it is a smaller audience that appreciates this kind of chess quality, where aggression and forcing sequences aren't enough and observation of the whole game world plays a role (yeah, tonight reminded me that this is an open world game...). 

This was fun and purer/closer to playing the game in the early days. Aside from the hunters that still had spits etc. the game also runs cleaner as there is less overall potential for bugs, or dropkick ground pound nonsense, losing frames etc. The play feels more direct. My two cents wrapped in Xmas paper.

Anyways, seasonal greetings and best wishes. 

Edited by Chickeninja

It is Christmas and while nobody really has time to edit or upload videos, much less fully explore a tweaked game mode, I can nonetheless offer 2 compressed games from hunter point of view for those of us interested in the possibilities of the thing. Hope you can get something out of this before the event ends.

First off: if folks approach these modified settings from a background of playing styles that are aggressive, tactical, or relying heavily on high level techniques and forced combos ‘n sequences… You'll be disappointed because these games feature none of that. No genius combinations or moves, which seems to be the point. 

Because it's these types of -in your face- brawler anywhere- playing styles, particularly for hunters that seem to place them at a disadvantage in this weekend event because the tweaks:

negate close range tactical abilities; the very mechanisms at the core of aggressive, confrontational playing styles. So far, I've seen a few hunters frustrated by looking for a fight, only to be overpowered close range by survivor arsenals/melee. 

On the other hand, more strategy oriented, ninja hide and attack playing styles seem to be rewarded, which is what I tried to show in the vid. To be blunt, a hunter just wanting to get into a fist fight with his tactical bag of tricks… with survivors wherever and whenever… is almost impossible given these settings. The only way for the hunter to retain his edge under these circumstances is to focus on the character's core advantage: speed.

A Hunter who is one or two streets away from survivors is invisible! No direction is given by survivors' HUD and a hunter's initial trajectory into an encounter can therefore be hidden. Almost completely. I dub it Ninja mode. And yeah, I too met some hunters that still had spits enabled, which is unfortunate as it tends to anger survivors. Some of these hunters seemed clueless about that fact though. 

My guess is that as cool as these changes are, with this awesome minimalist feel, that they won't be well received as many folks, hunters and survivors, love the aggressive, hack-and-slash, dominate your enemy style approaches, and it is a smaller audience that appreciates this kind of chess quality, where aggression and forcing sequences aren't enough and observation of the whole game world plays a role (yeah, tonight reminded me that this is an open world game...). 

Preparedness and openness towards strategic flexibility, watching your opponent, vigilance, knowing when to pull back, when NOT to engage are all as important as knowing when tactics can win you a game. This was fun and purer/closer to playing the game in the early days. Aside from the hunters that still had spits etc. the game also runs cleaner as there is less overall potential for bugs, or dropkick ground pound nonsense etc. The play feels more direct. My two cents wrapped in Xmas paper.

Those survivors weren't much of a challenge, when i said i manged to get 5 kills, i meant quite PRO team of 4 and the only way to do that was moving between buildings, hiding behind stuff and jumping with pounce surprisingly (which is hard when you don't know where they are and you are wasting half of the match to look for them). Running on the roofs doesn't make sense and once you are tracked, it's hard to run out of sight. There is not always a place to sneak, NH is in quite a huge disadvantage in the countryside. No tackles is even more frustrating, normally you have at least some defense when somebody is trying to DFA you, now you're doomed once you fall.

I don't really know how it is possible for the bounty score to be quite equal, in PRO fight with 4 humans, you may have around 25 or more volatile spawns, if you manage to kill 5 humans, that's still 5 times more spawns than humans. I guess, it's because of games where survivors aren't very good.

If you are enjoy this mode, good for you.

Edited by sanjyuubi

Those survivors weren't much of a challenge, when i said i manged to get 5 kills, i meant quite PRO team of 4 and the only way to do that was moving between buildings, hiding behind stuff and jumping with pounce surprisingly (which is hard when you don't know where they are and you are wasting half of the match to look for them). Running on the roofs doesn't make sense and once you are tracked, it's hard to run out of sight. There is not always a place to sneak, NH is in quite a huge disadvantage in the countryside. No tackles is even more frustrating, normally you have at least some defense when somebody is trying to DFA you, now you're doomed once you fall.

I don't really know how it is possible for the bounty score to be quite equal, in PRO fight with 4 humans, you may have around 25 or more volatile spawns, if you manage to kill 5 humans, that's still 5 times more spawns than humans. I guess, it's because of games where survivors aren't very good.

If you are enjoy this mode, good for you.

Hunter buddy of mine beat 4 survivors with everybody having hundreds of hours. Don't underestimate speed of entry and lack of information in any game setting. Correctly played, nobody knows what trajectory the approaching hunter will have. Hunter has to invest some time into learning range of a more limited survivor sense. It seemed like one street or block of houses to me.

Thanks for the advice but the video is not intended to prove anything more than what worked for us. My point was, as you say, "once you are tracked..." so the focus became more a matter of stealth and observation. Running on the roofs is more because I am too lazy to gather footage and edit properly, but at some points I am trying to get out of range of their tracking.

Edited by Chickeninja

This custom mode has to be the worse thus far, but at least this NH has found an effective way to beat the odds using NH's Health regen/UV Shield;

Albeit this NH is quick-matching against low ranked players for the most part and once his two UV shields are depleted he's back to being a punching bag like the rest of us who seek more of a challenge (I tend to manually look for games with more than one survivor).

Well The Challenge is there for everyone and the challenge is to get more kills lol. so nothing wrong with quick matching. ^.^ Then again i also did go up agenst Vendefta in one ofthe later videos, still managed to get some good kills but the Defeats still come from the Higher Legendary Humans. Thanks for posting my Stream bro ^.^

On the other hand, more strategy oriented, ninja hide and attack playing styles seem to be rewarded, which is what I tried to show in the vid. To be blunt, a hunter just wanting to get into a fist fight with his tactical bag of tricks… with survivors wherever and whenever… is almost impossible given these settings. The only way for the hunter to retain his edge under these circumstances is to focus on the character's core advantage: speed. More similar to predators in the wild who observe from far away, then move in for the kill as fast as they can at the right moment.

A Hunter who is one or two streets away from survivors is invisible! No direction is given by survivors' HUD and a hunter's initial trajectory into an encounter can therefore be hidden. Almost completely b4 he closes in. I dub it Ninja mode. And yeah, I too met some hunters that still had spits enabled, which is unfortunate as it tends to anger survivors. Some of these hunters seemed clueless about that fact though. 

This was fun and purer/closer to playing the game in the early days. Aside from the hunters that still had spits etc. the game also runs cleaner as there is less overall potential for bugs, or dropkick ground pound nonsense, losing frames etc. The play feels more direct. My two cents wrapped in Xmas paper.

@bold I fully agree...and we're all happy that TL is still trying to breath life into this game / mode. I like what this game and what it could be.

Within the context of playing against Pro survivors, this weekend's challenge forces only the NH is be stealthy while Survivors are free to run their naturally imbalanced aggression. I really doubt that this mode was created to be fair for NH, failing to address underlying imbalances intrinsic to this mode. We'd like to believe that Speed is NH's advantage but NH's speed is only effective in running away, so goodbye nests you were tasked to protect. Just about all of NH's locomotion is easily detectable, good luck with being Ninja. You have to be lucky or rely on killing noobs for NH to have a chance this weekend. NH's speed would be advantageous if TL permitted tackles at least.

This claim that this mode is a venture back to the good 'ol days is baffling. Firstly, why go back to the flawed days in which patches have fixed those problems? "the good ol pre-patch days"? Secondly, there's no "stealth" in running around with guns and 99+ medkits and a buggy that beams out / spams UV, The only objective for Pro survivors is managing to hit NH with one drop of UV to render it useless. One hit of UV and NH is back to re-attempting another clumsy ninja flank, meanwhile more volatiles are destroyed (as sanjyuubi highlighted) and NH is lucky to get one satisfying kill.

As a competitive gamer I believe that this mode including special weekends should be fair. but look back into the archives of this forum and you'll see other die-hards wailing about similar imbalances. How can you believe that this weekend would make it any better? When in reality it made it worst. We're all trying to have fun and enjoy a fair game.

Hunter buddy of mine beat 4 survivors with everybody having hundreds of hours. Don't underestimate speed of entry and lack of information in any game setting. Correctly played, nobody knows what trajectory the approaching hunter will have. Hunter has to invest some time into learning range of a more limited survivor sense. It seemed like one street or block of houses to me.

Thanks for the advice but the video is not intended to prove anything more than what worked for us. My point was, as you say, "once you are tracked..." so the focus became more a matter of stealth and observation. Running on the roofs is more because I am too lazy to gather footage and edit properly, but at some points I am trying to get out of range of their tracking.

Judging player skills by term of hours isn't that accurate, if you look at my hour count you would say that i should be hell of survivor, but i'm not, most of the hours is NH and sitting in menu while watching friends streams (I personally know a guy with over 2000 hours in DL and he is not playing that good as you would expect.

It's hard to not be tracked where people are watching their backs constatnly proping environment with UV, also, techland messed something and the mode is not consistent, some hunters still have spits and tackles that do 0 damage, when i was playing as survivor i barely heard NH, but when i played as NH last time, people told me that they hear me quite good. Also, you don't know what kind of weather humans have, there are hours in the game that you can move without flashlight becuase it's that bright, it should be always dark like in last life/nest, then you can play sneak properly.

Techland i never get the stats for the event no tackle etc but i can use all skills etc, and when i use all spits and uv it doesnt regenerate and i basically reset when i die and on respawn again all my skills are available...
Also happened one time i accually had only uv block, gp and pounce according to this event...

Please fix -.-

Well The Challenge is there for everyone and the challenge is to get more kills lol. so nothing wrong with quick matching. ^.^ Then again i also did go up agenst Vendefta in one ofthe later videos, still managed to get some good kills but the Defeats still come from the Higher Legendary Humans. Thanks for posting my Stream bro ^.^

You're playing against the Noobest of them all. Maybe it's the legendary Xbox survivors who, upon arriving to a nest, blows themselves up, then they respawn, and proceeds to scratch at the nest with the weakest shotgun in the game. The best is at the beginning, how two Legendary players kill themselves. Oh That NH struggle on xbox is real, party invites and chatting with survivors you're killing like the good ol "ninja, classic" days we've reverted to this weekend. No real worries bro, we should all just Dying Light and chill, and enjoy chatter for 10-15 mins while consoles figure out the art of matchmaking

Flawless, TL ::applause::

Edited by NullExoZombies

You're playing against the Noobest of them all. Maybe it's the legendary Xbox survivors who, upon arriving to a nest, blows themselves up, then they respawn, and proceeds to scratch at the nest with the weakest shotgun in the game. The best is at the beginning, how two Legendary players kill themselves. Oh That NH struggle on xbox is real, party invites and chatting with survivors you're killing like the good ol "ninja, classic" days we've reverted to this weekend. No real worries bro, we should all just Dying Light and chill, and enjoy chatter for 10-15 mins while consoles figure out the art of matchmaking

Flawless, TL ::applause::

Well I did manage to get a pretty good game with Vendeftta and KingKiyoo but didnt win the real hardcore humans seem to be missing this zombiefest weekend. last zombiefest they was all over it. But in all honesty i take the games as they come ^.^ Again thank you for posting my stream here in the forums.

I will Be Going Live on twitch With more Zombiefest 2 Live on http://www.twitch.tv/Lorespade After Christmas Dinner. Follow me on Twitter @Lorespade and i will annouce when i am about to go Live, Or Just Wait to watch it later on my http://www.youtube.com/c/Lorespade Hopefully Matchmaking Gods Treat me Right and we wont have to Wait Forever between matches. Team Zombie For the Win! And Merry Christmas guys!

This event was quite fun for the Hunter, Techland. Bushes, alcoves, corners and little hidey-holes were where I patiently waited and suddenly Pounced. Not that it's fun to give people heart attacks..:

6xbxgu0.png

... well, maybe a little. Stealth was quite possible even on experienced players, though anything above 2v1 was a chore.

Anyway, this event demonstrated something - Survivor Sense could easily be removed from the game, and the impact it would have on Surviros wouldn't be that notable. Keep the music and Crane warning when the Hunter approaches, remove the futuristic radar that can track the Hunter anywhere. Or, keep the pulse that reveals the Hunter's general location, but remove the minimap pin.

This event was quite fun for the Hunter, Techland. Bushes, alcoves, corners and little hidey-holes were where I patiently waited and suddenly Pounced. Not that it's fun to give people heart attacks..:

6xbxgu0.png

... well, maybe a little. Stealth was quite possible even on experienced players, though anything above 2v1 was a chore.

Anyway, this event demonstrated something - Survivor Sense could easily be removed from the game, and the impact it would have on Surviros wouldn't be that notable. Keep the music and Crane warning when the Hunter approaches, remove the futuristic radar that can track the Hunter anywhere. Or, keep the pulse that reveals the Hunter's general location, but remove the minimap pin.

Lol on that chat excerpt. 

Agree that its possible with more experienced players, as survivors have to be a perfect fortune tellers to know hunter's heading and location. Also agree that above 2v1 it gets tougher, as probability that somebody is facing hunter by chance is doubled.

Whether such settings fit with normal game play would depend on lots of things, not least of which would be peoples' individual playing styles and preferences. Many prefer more live combat, which I can relate to, but I could definitely see it as its own modification of the game mode; not so much along the spectrum of normal to nightmare, but more as its own thing.

Didn't have much time for it as it was holidays, but when I did, I definitely had a blast as hunter. More or less experience, wins or losses didn't really matter that much; I was too busy having fun trying to be sneakier. :ph34r: