Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chickeninja

Survivor Counter To Shield + Uv Spit Attack In 1V1 Nightmare?

4 posts in this topic

Topic title says everything.

It's fine if you dub my post to be "whining", but then answer the question for game in a PC environment: how should a survivor counter a precise shield + UV spit attack, particularly after they've thrown a flare that has been GPed or negated via spit in Nightmare mode?

1v1 is a common sort of invasion, so it would stand to reason that the survivor has some way of addressing this standard move. If the hunter is fast and coordinated, even shining the lamp in his exact direction is often insufficient, given network constraints/speed, to defend against success of the pounce.

The accelerated cooldown that was released some time ago, still leaves a survivor compromised for a considerable amount of seconds, in which they can do only one thing to counter the above move: pray the hunter is a beginner, which remains a stretch; as even beginners can look at their Hud, press howl, make use of their pov-nightvision advantage, and press Q when their screen begs them to. 

Nobody has managed to explain why this state-of-affairs remains the case in 1v1. Most folks in this forum, including your truly, are however open to reasonable arguments and evidence, appreciating anybody who'd care to enlighten us on the matter.

You can't have an out to everything. Eventually a line has to be drawn where one player just outplayed the other and deserves the kill. You're not whining, but save for UV Block + UV Spit Smash there isn't a single tactic the Hunter can employ that cannot be countered by a Survivor.

You simply gotta chose how you want to handle an encounter and commit to it. Throwing a flare on the ground before the Hunter approaches (which many Survivors do) would mean you either dodge/grapple around it for the 7-10 seconds necessary for another one, or go for the Grapple to DFA trick. If you get pounded along with your flare and/or UV stuck you deserve to be killed, as that just means the Hunter outplayed you or you failed to play out the situation correctly. It definitely isn't easy to pound an evasive Survivor and his flare, especially on uneven terrain, nor is it easy to stick a spit (outside of GP-spit, which is vulnerable to the well-known Grapple/DFA combo or general movement which makes landing Ground Pound annoying).  Throwing a flare for the hell of it is the worst possible play - this is why I rarely use them in 1v1s before I know the Hunter's UV spit is on cooldown, so I realistically only throw out one when it's going to be my saving ace.  

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I've thrown a flare, the Hunter has managed to pound me and it, and because of the cooldown I got Pounced. Nowadays you either die when the spit goes off or survive entirely.

In conclusion - making the Hunter misplay his opportunities is how you survive, not just waiting for more flares. The single flare was one of the best changes Techland implemented - it toughened up Survivors requiring them to think before throwing and making them harder to outplay while they defend their small safe zone with everything they got.

Edited by Vallon

You can't have an out to everything. Eventually a line has to be drawn where one player just outplayed the other and deserves the kill. You're not whining, but save for UV Block + UV Spit Smash there isn't a single tactic the Hunter can employ that cannot be countered by a Survivor.

Sure, and yet a standard move that is common, should allow for evasive measures. Otherwise you reduce a game to a forced mechanism; e.g. spit smash you mention. And while some of these you can justify with extraordinary resource use on hunters' side, this move requires no such resources and network conditions coupled with high pace of the game lead to a lot of pounces that aren't deserved.

The measures you sketch out would be nice for people to see as video, even if they imho suffer from being too highly advanced for everybody except veterans: who is this game for? I'm all for veterans getting a decent game play experience but calibrating the game towards high skill/wins exclusively will dry up the player base, with people increasingly realizing that to play a single decent game they have to invest some few hundred hours of losing in a buggy game world where every 3rd dropkick or Ground Pound doesn't connect. And veterans will get bored eventually with such state-of-affairs in tuning the game, simply because there will be less and less interesting matches to play.

And therefore I cordially disagree on the quality of the game having increased since flare limitation: if quality increases for some small group putting in 100s of hunter hours, then intermediate level, casual players become a liability. I dislike the fact that I'd have to kick beginning or intermediate survivors from my game to give hunters a decent fight, and then wait a few long days for a game with high enough general skill to be considered "decent". That may convince try-hards that confuse accomplishment in games with the fun of the thing but that's not my playing style. This game has potential to be more fun for everybody while satisfying veterans. As a fan of the game, I've been eating losses from mediocre hunters for months because of this, while trying to offer beginners and intermediate players a good enough time to keep playing invasions. Therefore, from my point of view, quality of games have gone down since these changes, with the the games becoming more tactical in general, therefore more predictable and less interesting.

Edited by Chickeninja

The measures you sketch out would be nice for people to see as video, even if they imho suffer from being too highly advanced for everybody except veterans: who is this game for? I'm all for veterans getting a decent game play experience but calibrating the game towards high skill/wins exclusively will dry up the player base, with people increasingly realizing that to play a single decent game they have to invest some few hundred hours of losing in a buggy game world where every 3rd dropkick or Ground Pound doesn't connect. And veterans will get bored eventually with such state-of-affairs in tuning the game, simply because there will be less and less interesting matches to play.

The game has been out for nearly 2 years now, I think it's safe to assume the the meta is solid and there's not a huge influx of new players joining every month. If you're still playing this game in 2016/2017 you most likely already have several to a few hundred hours invested and are well versed with the higher level aspects of the game (from which discussions like these arise).

You can think of it like with fighting games. The best time to get into a fighting game is about 3-4 months after release when everyone is fairly new and still figuring out the meta. After a year or so however you need to accept the fact that there are people have everything figured out and work twice as hard to reach the top (or wait until the next version releases).

tl;dr everyone is pretty much a veteran by now.