Z3r0D4y

(Theory) Harran Virus Origins & Following Ending Explained - Spoilers

13 posts in this topic

Please just note that this is my theory and therefore just speculation.

I am typing this up from my phone, so excuse the English.

Ending Explained

So when you enter the dam you find all these dead bodies.

Finally you encounter the Mother who is revealed to be a Sentient Volitale (Sentient Volitale = volitale which still has it's human part).

We also learn that Mother killed all those Faceless and that she loses control and becomes a full-killer-mode Volitale at night.

Now, she gives Kyle 2 choices, first one is to nuke Harran & Countryside (possible outside towns/cities aswell depending on nuke's power), the second option is where Kyle declines her offer and she infects him with the Source (AKA "Elixer"), and then he fights her, killing her and then ending up outside the quarantine zone whilst he is now a Sentient Volatile (now something you must understand, volatiles do NOT infect others, their only objective is to kill, to end threats towards the infected race *not sure about this*).

So basically:

Option 1: Kill every infected in Harran & Countryside (and killing hundreds if not thousands of innocent survivors, including yourself)

Option 2: Become a sentient volatile and possible infect humans outside quarantine.

Me, personally would go with Option 1, rather thousands death than risking billions.

Virus Origins

To understand the origins you must understand the ending, please read that first.

Now, the reason I called the Elixer the Source is because IMO that's exactly what it is, think about it, the Source was throw into the dam's water purification system (by accident, by government who wants to test it, by terror act) and thus infecting nearly everyone. Mother drinking the Source made her Sentient Volatile, now you ask why not all infected are sentient and why are there different infected species? It all depends on where and how you got infected. To become Sentient, you'd have to drink DIRECTLY from the Source vial itself, now the Source being dropped in the water supply obviously thins out making it less effective the further it travels. This explains the species (the closer to the dam the higher the chance you become a volatile).

A scientest ruled out it could be water or airborne infection, but again that's proven faulty as the faceless swing their Source powered smoke, it sure as hell can be airborne.

What do you think guyes and galls?

Again, sorry for the spelling mistakes.

I am a little confused with the origins of the virus. The elixir in the water makes sense and all but when I go into a hive and see a vol kneeling in a pile of flesh mumbling some satanic chants, I start to wonder what is really going on here. I don`t think an elixir would cause that kind of behavior and leads me to believe there are darker forces at work here and we must find them and kill them.

I am a little confused with the origins of the virus. The elixir in the water makes sense and all but when I go into a hive and see a vol kneeling in a pile of flesh mumbling some satanic chants, I start to wonder what is really going on here. I don`t think an elixir would cause that kind of behavior and leads me to believe there are darker forces at work here and we must find them and kill them.

They're not kneeling...they're kind of...stuck.  I think they're being gradually mutated.  Dunno how that happens.  I assume that the matured Volatiles feed them some kind of material that promotes the mutation, sort of the way worker bees will feed larvae royal jelly to create a queen.

Anyway, I don't know about the mist being the source of the infection, but I guess I can't rule it out.

But they are kneeling. they are kneeling tilting themselves back on their heels mumbling some evil speak that only the blackest of souls can understand. Not typical zombie behavior. That also doesn`t explain all the dead flesh being attached to them as if they are coming out of a cocoon of carrion.  How could a chemical mutation do something like this? It didn`t happen to crane at the ending so my only logical explanation is black magic! In dead island there was the tribe who was all into voodoo and thought these undead were guardians who were angered. This is also a spinoff of the original outbreak from dead island as it spread I think. What we need are Sam B , Logan and the rest to show up and get Crane off his lazy chupacabra and show him how to get things done old school.

Hell they could even say they took dna samples from Ryders corpse after he turned and combined it with fresh samples of existing elixir. then they could say that is the strain the mother took because Ryder evolved instead of devolved and the next step in evolution was the mother strain. That still doesn`t make up for the fact of the satanic volitiles canting for flesh of the living in their hives but I`m sure techland can think up something for an explanation.

But they are kneeling. they are kneeling tilting themselves back on their heels mumbling some evil speak that only the blackest of souls can understand. Not typical zombie behavior. That also doesn`t explain all the dead flesh being attached to them as if they are coming out of a cocoon of carrion.  How could a chemical mutation do something like this? It didn`t happen to crane at the ending so my only logical explanation is black magic! In dead island there was the tribe who was all into voodoo and thought these undead were guardians who were angered. This is also a spinoff of the original outbreak from dead island as it spread I think. What we need are Sam B , Logan and the rest to show up and get Crane off his lazy chupacabra and show him how to get things done old school.

Hell they could even say they took dna samples from Ryders corpse after he turned and combined it with fresh samples of existing elixir. then they could say that is the strain the mother took because Ryder evolved instead of devolved and the next step in evolution was the mother strain. That still doesn`t make up for the fact of the satanic volitiles canting for flesh of the living in their hives but I`m sure techland can think up something for an explanation.

Listen Carefully, They are mumbling 'Kill Me', or 'End My Suffering'. It isn't Satanic speech, just the Human mind slowly being transformed through agonizing pain.

Also note that the Dead Island IP is owned by Deep Silver, so all of that stuff is non-canon when it comes to Dying Light.

I think the whole satanic thing makes it more interesting. Anyway, that cult I was in in the 80`s used to sit around mumbling and sounded just like the volotiles. We didn`t have all the dead flesh though. Ahh, memories of better days! Yeah I forgot deep silver has di now. But that is ok. We can just get a black dude and call him Sam C and switch Logan to Rogan and nobody will be the wiser. And make the guy who did sams voice do rogan and  rogan do sam `s voice.  It will totally throw off anyone and they will have no idea that is  affiliated with di in any way. Only inner circle elite like you and I will know the truth behind it all and we can sit back and chuckle while the world continues to turn unaware.

The Volalite Hives have some form of connection with the Night Hunters. Destroying the Hives the Night Hunter protects is how you win a Be the Zombie match.

Also OP, the country side is Haran as far as I know. Haran isn't just a City, it's a City State. So nuking the country side is nuking Haran. As far as Ground Zero for the infection, Old Town is Quarantine Zone Zero, while the Slums was Quarantined off next followed by all of Harran. The Dam can't be Ground Zero, as you claim, when the outbreak started in Old Town, aways away from the Dam. (But they Dame could be "Ground Zero" for the infection spreading into Harran's Countryside and what's causing the new, stronger Infected types.) We know, the Mother, and her husband the Colonel, were Infected after the inital outbreak. The chemical substance, your "source," could have been created as a result of the testing done inside the Stadium after the outbreak. Also all of the Infected Species cannot be a result of that chemical. The Bolters were a result of Dr Zere's research. Some of the other Infected types could have been a result of tests done inside the Harran Stadium. Oh, and the Mother didn't just turn and kill the Faceless. She killed everyone in the Dam, Faceless and Rais' men, to prevent Rias' men from getting their hands on the chemical.

The ending where Kyle takes the elixir shows him exit outside of the Harran Quarantine Zone, and into the neighboring country. In some ways this could be the best option because:

Option 1: Detonate a Nuke in Harran. There's a good chance the virus won't be destroyed and the radiation could trigger worse mutations. The blast could even spread the Virus out of the Quartier Zone, infecting people outside of Harran.

Option 2: Kyle escapes the Quarantine Zone, but as Volatile. There's a high chance he'll spread the infection and not survive the night. If he survives the night he'd likely try finding a way back to Dr Camden. Having access to the chemical that caused the sentient mutation and a willing test subject, Dr Camden could finally get the break he needed for creating a cure after all.

A few questions I have are:

Was Kaan part of the Haran military? Was he in contact with Rais? Did he send his man into the Slums to find out why Rais went radio silent again?

Edited by MusicMan05

Okay.. guys.. seriously, STOP SAYING VOLATILE. Clearly Kyle turns into a "sentient" NIGHT HUNTER! Have any of you ever played BTZ??? the claws, the screech, the Orange glow, COME ON! You have No idea how many doors this ending opened... The guys at techland are working on a sequel for dying light and this ending suggest that Kyle krane will become something of a "hybrid" Survivor by day, Hunter by night. At least for the first half of the campaign... Who knows, maybe they'll finally come up with a viable cure?

Imagine laying waste to the other side! Spreading plague and TERROR! Kyle's first night ravaging easy prey. Suddenly he wakes up, in a dark tunnel, crawls toward the light, thinking if it was all just a nightmare, emerging out from the dark, realizing truth.... Traumatizing guilt, shame.. and then the look on his face when he sees himself in a reflection... How will he return to his friends looking like a monster???

I'm thinking of a truly expansive, revolutionary dying light world, soo large, sooo unique and amazing, sooooo freaking awesome HOLY ***********!!! that techland will be forced into dropping the pheasant station 4 and that other box of chupacabra. leaving the possibilities endless.. I mean.. you know.. gah.. essentially... pc rules.. invest your money, stop wasting it. Off topic but it's so true.

And btw.. THE ORIGINS of the "Harran Virus" was explained back at the slums, if you were paying attention to missions and dialogue... The spread originated from a meteor, which was then investigating by the military, all chupacabra hit the fan. Blah blah blah, A mission for you (kyle) unfolds this craptacular information.... After being explained the short summary... Kyle is then sent to such sight to retrieve some samples of the glowing meteor rock. Specific Rocks that can only be found at night with the aid of some nearby UV lights powered by a stupid generator.. that you (kyle) turns on and attracts a few virals during your "frantic search" for glowy chupacabra.

It was fun the first time

Ring Any bells?? People???

For those saying if the virus got released at the Dam than why was the first infected in Oldtown?

You know what I think?

Maybe the virus needed a trigger of some sorts to start the mutation, like maybe the meteorite was the trigger?

Maybe Patient Zero encounterd the meteorite and that's what activated the mutation?

I could be wrong about this but here it goes...

Ending 1: Same as yours

Ending 2: possible that crane is a volatile. What makes me doubt this is he was having some visions while going back to the surface, my problem with this ending is

Ending 3: same as ending 1 (really disappointed by that, after all that work as well)

1: Kyle has different symptoms to when he was bit and infected (in the base game) however you could say its a different transformation (a volatile transformation (which is fine(i suppose)))

2: Kyle does spit a lot of the vial out that the mother gave him (thus enraging her)

3: You know how the only way in and out of the country side is threw the starting area (i know ezgi escapes threw a different way) you also know about the secret outfit at the start of the game, under the body the *nothing happens outfit* this could imply two things first ending 2 he is not a volatile or that the following never happens (a forth ending) which does explain the 4 arrows on the achievement for beating the dlc)

also the nothing happens outfit has some polish on the back read it ;)

4:I think techland said somewhere that there will be more content (for this year) which then makes you wonder what kind of content (i find it hard to think that for dying light (1 anyway) that we will play someone else

how the virus starts seems good a solid theory could explain the water dlc (someone knew about the water and tried to shut it off in old town) 

however we did hear in the base game that the virus is only transferred by bite(this was in the alcohol side quest in the main game)

Also with the volatiles we never see them bite you(you can see why by their appearance) we see them headbutt you (if they jump you) We also know because of the volatile nests and that 1 quest in the dlc we know that volatiles are people being transformed into volatiles (if you listen to their screams you can hear things like (please kill me, the light it burns etc). I think the night hunter would be the the 'protector' if you wanted a zombie to fit that roll.

as for the airborne virus it does transform you i suppose but its not the infection. The gas makes you a volatile (said by the mother even breathing slowly turns you into one) so the infection is therefore technically not airborne because on top of what i said it was the faceless who were making it into its airborne form (Which was not seen in the original form in the harren city and slums)

The Origins

clearly the virus came from the GRE if that was not obvious from the main story.

How did it start to infect thousands my guess as a apart of the game there in Harren the GRE or the Ministry of Defense would be giving vaccinations to the people and the athletes it wouldn't be to hard to slip a virus into some random individuals who would later return to other parts of the city (slums,old town, country side,stadium and the other parts of the city which we do not explore (why not the skyscrapers and stuff would be sick to parkour in, techland get on that for dlc or DL2). Thus after a few weeks(or days) the first infected start to mutate hence creating the quarantine zones (the places of origin for many of the first infected) this is confirmed by spike)

Meteor Theory
doesn't seem valid because if you were paying attention the main story rais even says have you seen the files (it was made by the GRE or the Ministry to weaponize it. (also that guy was crazy (even kyle thought so) so that seems unlikely 

Why trust Rais? at the end kyle tells the GRE get lost because they won't bomb Harren as long as the cure is in Harren. We can see that the accept this and fly away if they didn't create this they could bomb the place and kill all the infected anyway also seen in the 1st ending of the dlc (also explains why kyle wouldn't do that and why that is not the cannon ending). BUT THEY DON'T BOMB THE PLACE! because they want to make a cure so when they sell the weaponized version they have a cure incase things go wrong so there won't be another Harren event.

Crane The Hunter Theory
Why would that be the case the mother is a volatile how would he be a hunter(yes this would be a nice fade in to btz). The hybrid volatile hunter would make the most sense or a straight out volatile.

look at his hands the same as the mothers big long hands, Hunters have a hand that can split in half (for the tendrils) 

his scream yes does sound like a hunter but the text does say volatile scream and who knows maybe they can make that scream.

from a hunters view a hunter is about killing alone. all hunters are mindless they only want to kill and protect nests voltiles are the ones who walk around displaying human like movements and actions.

also in a hunter match after you win the guy at the tower says(sorry i forgot his name) looks like the hunter ran off(singular i think there is only meant to be one hunter (this also is explained by the single hunter form at the start of btz it was only later hunter mutations were a thing(so all hunters looked the same like there is one hunter))

SIDE NOTES: kyle does appear in human clothes the whole time the only thing we see is his hands at the end.similar to the mother but also we don't know why they screamed.

A man climbs up from the sewers covered in blood and dirty water and how does that not seem scary to children?

also don't you think a hunter would be silly considering how much Techland uses volatiles as dying lights imagine?

Edited by Wraith24