Pete Donnelly

Post Any Btz Bugs/exploits Here

638 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone!

We are working hard to get BTZ completed for "The Following" release and are diligently squashing any bugs we may find.  The problem is, we may not always catch them all and that's where we could use your help!  This post here is where I'd like everyone to write about any bugs, glitches or exploits they may have come across while playing BTZ.  Let us know about them now so we can do our best to kill 'em off in time for The Following!

Here a list of some things that I can already to you are fixed/tuned for BTZ in general when 'The Following' releases.  

1. Fixed an issue with the Shield negating stuck spits.

2. Bullet damage to Nests reduced  

3. 2 Handed Heavy damage to Nests reduced

4. Tackle Damage to Nests reduced

5. Hunters "UV Heal" skill is much quicker (I really like this one...it allows for some new tricks)

6. Survivors flare cooldown cost is only applied if the flare was successfully thrown

7. Grappling hook cooldown cost increased

8. Fixed Grappling hook 1hit zombie defenders

9. Timeout loss for AFK 

10.Timeout loss for Non-interaction (Survivors don't attack nests or interact with Hunter)

11. Survivors have 0% chance of winning Invasion rewards until at least 1 nest is destroyed

12. Outside damage mitigated while in PVP grab states (tackle, dropkick, pounce etc.)

13. DFA commitment.  Survivors cannot quick roll out of a DFA attempt.

14. Fixed an issue with the Hunters 'cancel grounpound' input not being read if initiated early.

15. Fixed Hunter being blocked by Survival packages

16. Fixed Hunter Groundpound input not registering

17. Fixed Hunter UV block timer pausing while in PVP grab states. (would allow the Hunter to have the UV Block skill active longer than intended)

18. Fixed an issue with Shield NOT blocking a spit when it should (was checking angle to other player instead of angle to the spit itself)

19. Fixed an issue where Survivors could use the 'forward roll' skill to negate fall damage from a Tackle

20. AOE knockdown on successful tackle  (Hunter)

21. Reduced wall hit stun for Survivors after being hit from a Groundpound

22. Fixed Hunter not receiving the win bonus XP for Humans cowering in fear

Lot's more has been tweaked as well!

Feel free to PM me if you want to let me know of some exploit but don't want to post it for everyone to see!

(Please don't post "-So and so- is a Hacker!!!!  PLZ bring Banhammer!!!"  We are just looking for bugs in this post.  Thanks!!!!)

(edited to show additional fixes)

Edited by Pete Donnelly

Survivors being able to block Doorways by dropping Survival Packages.

Ah!  Thanks for reminding me!  That's fixed too ;)

This sounds amazing, but I was hoping for some new things for the hunter (etc. new abilities and upgrades.)

The new 'Buggies' are pretty amazing but the Hunter definitely has its own ways of dealing with this in 'The Following'  ;)

ground pound is still not working properly on ps4, i quit playing two days ago because i simply could not initiate the animation. it does this in the tutorial lobbies as well, its not my controller etc, its happening to multiple people across all platforms. normally it is worst in games with large geographic differences, example, im east coasts NYS, the game i left was a german host. but lag is not the cause since like i said, it happens in my tutorial lobby.

ground pound is still not working properly on ps4, i quit playing two days ago because i simply could not initiate the animation. it does this in the tutorial lobbies as well, its not my controller etc, its happening to multiple people across all platforms. normally it is worst in games with large geographic differences, example, im east coasts NYS, the game i left was a german host. but lag is not the cause since like i said, it happens in my tutorial lobby.

Yes...This was a strange one that we couldn't reproduce with any of our controllers across all platforms, but we dug into the code and found what is most likely causing this issue for some people. As we could never repro it in the first place I can't say I'm 100% sure it's fixed....but I'm 99.9% sure it is ;)

1. The UV spit, Horde Spit, and UV shields are not currently at full capacity at the start of matches. For example, I start a match and should have two horde spits, two UV spits, and two UV shields, yet I only start the match with one of each and have to wait around until the missing ones show up on my HUD? This needs to be fixed.

2. The range of the human's UV lamp needs to desperately be shortened - this is a common complaint.

3. The UV spit, Horde Spit, and UV shields need to have a faster recovery time. Currently, there is about a 60-90 sec recovery time in any match that is not 4V1. It really doesn't make any sense to have the recovery time on these items that long. The human's UV light replenishment rate is at least 2-3 times FASTER than the recovery time of the Hunter's defensive weapons. 

4. Hunter respawns after death need to be extremely shortened. It doesn't make sense that the respawn times can be upwards of 15 seconds.

All in all, these four all the most glaring balancing issues that I have come across. 

Edited by A. Ryan

Please completely eliminate aborting all together. Sure it will suck for the few people who have bad internet connection but believe you me, you're helping way more people than you're hurting. As an ultimate survivor who plays everyday, I'd say at least half of our games end in aborts, at least. I don't know if you're aware of how big and annoying the issue is. Leaving the game for any reason should be a defeat. There is no way to workaround giving aborts to legit crashers and internet crashes. It's to easy to simulate. Will you consider this?

Yes...This was a strange one that we couldn't reproduce with any of our controllers across all platforms, but we dug into the code and found what is most likely causing this issue for some people. As we could never repro it in the first place I can't say I'm 100% sure it's fixed....but I'm 99.9% sure it is ;)

Yes, I have an issue with this a lot as well.  It seems as though when I'm getting UVed and the NH does that "flinch and squeal" it negates the GP.  I've had issues with spits as well.  It seems the flinch from being UVed negates some of actions.

On the aimed spit I initially thought I was hitting the wrong key (PC game BTW), but I started holding the key and looking down to confirm.  Yes, I was holding the right key.

On the GP, it may be the flinch slows the GP, because there has been times, in frustration, that I hold the mouse a lot longer than needed and then the arms go up to start the GP.

Also, a big frustration is the imbalance in lives against a good player.  They can get to and destroy a full nest in the time it takes a NH to respawn and get to the nest to defend it.  I'll just leave this here...

This isn't a bug or exploit, but would it be possible for the NH to swipe at objects to move them?  This would help prevent the blocked entrances issues found any where, including areas unknown at this time; and help the NH defend the nests when a survivor plants a gas canister next to a nest and just leaves it for later--we can't move it to save the nest and the survivor only needs to later shoot the canister and the nest a couple of times--and from a distance--to destroy it later!  

Also, a bug?  The one hit kill with a thrown weapon when the NH misses with a GP.

I don't know it's by design or an exploit.  Humans are able to attack in such rapid succession that it seems like a OHK.  The "normal" three swings are fast enough.  But it seems like swing, swing, kick is even faster.  I had a guy pull, I think, a slide, swing, kick so fast it was essentially a OHK.  Combine that with the vulnerability of 0% UV stamina and continues be UVed, the GP won't initiate, you're pretty much dead zombie walking, thus a death, and thus a lost nest.

The NH has no such attach that can be followed up with another attack so quickly.  Sometimes I can pull of a GP and pounce, but most melee attacks push the human away from you and it takes time to charge the next attack.  So, the pounce is the only attack that can quickly follow another attack--and then it's easy thwarted with UV.

Is there going to be a change in the reviving of humans in matches with two or more players?  I work hard for those kills only have them taken away because I have another human or two on my back to kill me or force me to retreat so they can revive the corpse of my prey.  It's hard enough with more than one player only to be handed another disadvantage.

This isn't a bug or exploit, but would it be possible for the NH to swipe at objects to move them?  This would help prevent the blocked entrances issues found any where, including areas unknown at this time; and help the NH defend the nests when a survivor plants a gas canister next to a nest and just leaves it for later--we can't move it to save the nest and the survivor only needs to later shoot the canister and the nest a couple of times--and from a distance--to destroy it later!  

Also, a bug?  The one hit kill with a thrown weapon when the NH misses with a GP.

Knocking away propane tanks could be cool...

Throwing a decent 2 handed weapon for a 1 hit kill on the Hunter is intentional though. Not a Bug.  If someone has time to do that when you miss a GP, then they most likely could have killed you many other ways as well.  Try it out for yourself.  It's not easy and you lose a lot of Axes...also spend a bit of time trying to find them pick them back up!  

Please completely eliminate aborting all together. Sure it will suck for the few people who have bad internet connection but believe you me, you're helping way more people than you're hurting. As an ultimate survivor who plays everyday, I'd say at least half of our games end in aborts, at least. I don't know if you're aware of how big and annoying the issue is. Leaving the game for any reason should be a defeat. There is no way to workaround giving aborts to legit crashers and internet crashes. It's to easy to simulate. Will you consider this?

There are technical reasons why we have aborts.  We are a networked peer to peer game.  In some situations, it's not as easy as you might think to know who caused the game to abort.  If we got rid of aborts all together you would find that sometimes you will end up with a loss instead in this situation.  We feel an abort is better than having a loss unjustly handed out. 

I don't know it's by design or an exploit.  Humans are able to attack in such rapid succession that it seems like a OHK.  The "normal" three swings are fast enough.  But it seems like swing, swing, kick is even faster.  I had a guy pull, I think, a slide, swing, kick so fast it was essentially a OHK.  Combine that with the vulnerability of 0% UV stamina and continues be UVed, the GP won't initiate, you're pretty much dead zombie walking, thus a death, and thus a lost nest.

The NH has no such attach that can be followed up with another attack so quickly.  Sometimes I can pull of a GP and pounce, but most melee attacks push the human away from you and it takes time to charge the next attack.  So, the pounce is the only attack that can quickly follow another attack--and then it's easy thwarted with UV.

Is there going to be a change in the reviving of humans in matches with two or more players?  I work hard for those kills only have them taken away because I have another human or two on my back to kill me or force me to retreat so they can revive the corpse of my prey.  It's hard enough with more than one player only to be handed another disadvantage.

People have definitely found methods to kill the Hunter quicker than intended. Damage values have been tuned to address this. 

The Hunter has MANY attack combinations.  The most basic being a melee-groundpound. A UV spit followed by a Pounce is probably your best 1-2 punch.  Also practice following up a GP with a spit.  Another tactic you can try is triggering your UV Block when your pounce gets interrupted.  That will let you gain your stamina back in time to jump up and backwards to pounce an aggressive Survivor going in for the kill.  If it's a slow paced Survivor waiting for you to make the first move, then wait until you have 2 UV spits charged, trigger a UV block and go for the SpitSmash followed by a Pounce.  

There are many options for the Hunter.  You just need to try and find out what works best for different playstyles.    ;)

1. The UV spit, Horde Spit, and UV shields are not currently at full capacity at the start of matches. For example, I start a match and should have two horde spits, two UV spits, and two UV shields, yet I only start the match with one of each and have to wait around until the missing ones show up on my HUD? This needs to be fixed.

2. The range of the human's UV lamp needs to desperately be shortened - this is a common complaint.

3. The UV spit, Horde Spit, and UV shields need to have a faster recovery time. Currently, there is about a 60-90 sec recovery time in any match that is not 4V1. It really doesn't make any sense to have the recovery time on these items that long. The human's UV light replenishment rate is at least 2-3 times FASTER than the recovery time of the Hunter's defensive weapons. 

4. Hunter respawns after death need to be extremely shortened. It doesn't make sense that the respawn times can be upwards of 15 seconds.

All in all, these four all the most glaring balancing issues that I have come across. 

1. It is intentional that you start with one.  The skill is to allow you to store 2

2. The UV light has been tuned a couple of times since the initial release.  It is at a place we are currently happy with.

3. Skills recharge at different rates for 1v1, 2v1, 3v1 and 4v1.  They have also been tuned to a place we are currently happy with.  That being said, there are some changes we introduced that will help struggling Hunters in this area.

4. Respawn times follow similar logic to skills.  There will be some changes here to help struggling Hunters (or struggling Survivors) as well.

People have definitely found methods to kill the Hunter quicker than intended. Damage values have been tuned to address this. 

I fear you're alluding that techland nerfed human -> hunter melee damage while keeping the hunter -> human melee damage the same. I really hope this is not true. I've been playing this gamemode everyday since August and I've put close to 600 hours into the game. I'm more than willing to bet 500 of those were in invasions; I play this mode a lot so I know the ins and out and I know how games with ultimate survivors vs apex plays out. That being said, here me out.

It's a mistake to buff the night hunters health without at least nerfing his melee damage or giving him a ground pound cooldown. I don't know how often you play this game or if you've ever experienced this but a good portion of apex predators literally just spam aerial ground pounds untill you're smashed in the ground. It is literally all they do and on hardcore there is almost nothing you can do about it. If the hunter can jump and claw you on the way down as he's charging his ground pound and then pound you, that's 80 damage. He only has to do that one more time and then claw once to kill you. Believe you me, I've tried my best but with the hunters agillity, it is almost impossible to dodge out of the ground pound radius in time so your only option is to hope you can swipe them on their way down everytime because if you accidently miss with this games wonky aiming, I promise you will die. It's not enough that they just spam ground pound either because they'll also spit on you between ground pounds and there is pretty much nothing you can do about because you're too busy being ground pound spammed. If I haven't convinced you I will record the next game against a serious ground pound spammer I encounter and put it on YouTube so you can see it. They're not fun to deal with, everyone in the game groans when a known ground pound spammer joins, and it's just not a fun gaming experience. Please do not give ground pound spammers free reign over everyone.

I fear you're alluding that techland nerfed human -> hunter melee damage while keeping the hunter -> human melee damage the same. I really hope this is not true. I've been playing this gamemode everyday since August and I've put close to 600 hours into the game. I'm more than willing to bet 500 of those were in invasions; I play this mode a lot so I know the ins and out and I know how games with ultimate survivors vs apex plays out. That being said, here me out.

It's a mistake to buff the night hunters health without at least nerfing his melee damage or giving him a ground pound cooldown. I don't know how often you play this game or if you've ever experienced this but a good portion of apex predators literally just spam aerial ground pounds untill you're smashed in the ground. It is literally all they do and on hardcore there is almost nothing you can do about it. If the hunter can jump and claw you on the way down as he's charging his ground pound and then pound you, that's 80 damage. He only has to do that one more time and then claw once to kill you. Believe you me, I've tried my best but with the hunters agillity, it is almost impossible to dodge out of the ground pound radius in time so your only option is to hope you can swipe them on their way down everytime because if you accidently miss with this games wonky aiming, I promise you will die. It's not enough that they just spam ground pound either because they'll also spit on you between ground pounds and there is pretty much nothing you can do about because you're too busy being ground pound spammed. If I haven't convinced you I will record the next game against a serious ground pound spammer I encounter and put it on YouTube so you can see it. They're not fun to deal with, everyone in the game groans when a known ground pound spammer joins, and it's just not a fun gaming experience. Please do not give ground pound spammers free reign over everyone.

For the Hunter, a missed GP= death from a Survivor that's ready to punish it.  This is intentional and will still be the case.  We are not looking to change that at all.

For the Hunter, a missed GP= death from a Survivor that's ready to punish it.  This is intentional and will still be the case.  We are not looking to change that at all.

I understand that and I wish it were that easy but it isn't. You can literaly do nothing but spam dodge backwards and they will still land it because they've spent hundreds of hours perfecting their ground pound spam. I will get you that video, I promise.

EDIT: I have a very old video rendering right now. Give me like 10 minutes.

Edited by epsdude

Here it is. This is a very old video I have saved on my PS4 so excuse the good number of the rookie mistakes.

https://youtu.be/fQZoDRZVRfA

I made a lot of mistakes due to my inexperience with this kind of nonsense, but our biggest number one mistake was trying to avoid the ground pounds and make him fail. Your chances of making him fail are extremely slim and when he does it's usually a slip up of his own. Either way, the one time he did I somehow missed my first swing and he got away. The point is, trying to dodge away from the zombie will not work. The super majority of the slums is nothing but clutter and very few nests there are open enough to where you could possibly dodge backwards spam away. I saw dodge backwards because it is the only dodge that gives you enough distance to escape the ground pound if it is directly where you were standing beforehand, side dodges do not have enough range.

I know now how to deal with this guys and it's that you have to stand your ground and fight. I've gotten much better dealing with spammers since this video but so has this zombie at doing it. I know this is getting somewhat off topic from the original purpose of this thread but please hear me out, this is very important if you're going to rebalance damage.

To beat a ground pound spammer, you have to be at full health and ready to fight before he gets there. Like I said before, if he knows what he's doing he will jump, claw you on the way down, and then ground pound. That's 80 health gone every time. You have to slash him on his way down from his jump when he's clawing just before the ground pound. That does a third of his health. Here's how it plays out once a hunter starts.

The hunter jumps and claws you, you get one swing in before the hunter ground pounds. The human is now at 120/200 health, the hunter now has 2/3rds health.

The same thing happens and the human is now at 40/200 health, the hunter now has 1/3rd left.

This is where it gets intense, the human has to slash the zombie before he claws him. The hunter does not need to ground pound after, he only needs to get a claw in because the human is at 40 health. Most likely, the hunter has sprinted up to the human after that second ground pound while the human was still flying in the air, and it is now very in the favor of the night hunter to get the melee in first.

Now look, I can't really claim to know at all what you mean by 'adjusting damage values' so that the human can't kill the hunter as quickly and I don't claim to know, but if you are changing the damage values then you please have to consider ground pound spam into the equation. I'm telling you right now, that in a 1v1 situation, if that hunter had to be slashed four times instead of three to be killed, he would win a one melee skirmish every time without fail. I really doubt the role for night hunters Techland had in mind is to just blitz as soon as the human spawns and mindlessly ground pound, because that's what this zombie does right now and this is pre-patch. The hunter, according to the hints, is supposed to use strategy and wait for the right moment to attack when the situation is optimal for him. He should have to make a healthy balanced use of all his abilities, not just spam one. I fought this guy recently and lost again (but I did a lot better, got to the last nest), and I checked the end game stats. You know how many tackles he attempted? Zero. You know how many pounces he attempted? Zero. You know how many ground pounds he did? Over 60. Literally over 60 ground pounds mixed with spits here and there to keep me flustered. This isn't right. The fellow ultimate survivors I've all talked to in my circle all agree that ground pounds need some kind of nerf, and now it sounds like they might be possibly getting a buff. Again, I can't pretend to know what Techland has in store, but if the humans damage is nerfed while the hunters stays the same, I promise people like this guy will be basically unstoppable.

Please keep this in mind, thank you for your time.

Nice that we have a thread on this: Nest spawn numbers go up when new survivors join the game. If they leave or abort for whatever reason, that number should decrease proportionally as well. Finding yourself having to hack that much nest because somebody entered a game and didn't like what they saw and left (e.g. score/odds), with all the extra zombies standing around, is asking perhaps a bit much from survivors. I usually give the game to hunters in this case just to have a clean slate. Don't know if that's a quirk in my games or something to be fixed.

As for GP-claw spamming: this is a natural strategy of a ranged combatant forced to get close range for the kill with survivors that are immune to most pounces, who are the ones that are also skilled enough to avoid spits at long range. If this is to be avoided because people find it boring, long range attacks may have to become a little more potent against high level survivors or alternative close range combos possible (e.g. something as fast and low damage as Kyle's tiny "kick" for the hunter to extend his combo repertoire without too much exposure/time/damage such as with GP).

A fast UV heal indeed does have the potential to change close range combat and give the hunter more to work with in this scenario, as would one added anytime toxic spit that wouldn't cost a whole horde spit recharge: any measure that provides options for close range battle to extend a little or become a little richer in possible moves/combos, from both sides, would increase quality of the game mode, as it grants everybody more cool down time without the score changing. Suspense enrichment can also be reached by switching up nest locations a little, taking advantage of the size of the cool maps, as people tend to get into routines and increasingly repetitive and predictable game play follows. 

Edited by Chickeninja

The Hunter is still a 3-hit kill with your standard weapon.  Damage values have been tweaked a bit and slide/tackle have been reduced.  The numbers of Nest/Defenders are chosen based on the amount of Players in the game at the time the new Nest is selected.  It will re-evaluate each new Nest.  There are many other values that dynamically change the moment a new player joins or drops out as well.

The Hunter is still a 3-hit kill with your standard weapon.  Damage values have been tweaked a bit and slide/tackle have been reduced.  The numbers of Nest/Defenders are chosen based on the amount of Players in the game at the time the new Nest is selected.  It will re-evaluate each new Nest.  There are many other values that dynamically change the moment a new player joins or drops out as well.

I'm glad too hear it. At least we still stand a chance against spammers. Just out of curiosity, have you ever experienced a ground pound spammer like that in the video? It's kind of really annoying isn't it? :P

Also, is there anywhere we could find a comprehensive list of all the currently planned changes for BTZ in depth? I know you've given us a basic rundown but play this mod a lot so I'd like to know more!

Will there be a fix for the GP not affecting humans on a slightly different level? E.g. the rocks or roofs with low walls.

Will there be any addressing on it counting as a miss on a GP to put out a flare?  There's many a time I'm trying to GP a player with UV spit who is standing in a flare circle only to have them jump away at the last second from an aerial GP.  That means a missed GP and then they simply step in for the kill. You could allow for GPs on flares not causing the missed GP animation or, maybe, allow for the NH to swipe the flare out or away.

Concerning tackles.  Sometimes the prompt for the tackle never appears.  I think I'm sprinting towards the human correctly and think I'm timing it right, yet nothing happens.  Not even a prompt to allow it.  Also, when a human is grapple hooking up towards me many times I can't tackle and end up just running through the human and sometimes the human dodges the tackle before he's even finished the grapple.  It's hard to punish humans for being overly aggressive when this happens.

One last one for the night: is the animation on an interrupted pounce or a dodged tackle supposed to keep the NH locked in until he hits the ground?  I've had some long falls to ride out before I could get back into the fight!

1. It is intentional that you start with one.  The skill is to allow you to store 2

2. The UV light has been tuned a couple of times since the initial release.  It is at a place we are currently happy with.

3. Skills recharge at different rates for 1v1, 2v1, 3v1 and 4v1.  They have also been tuned to a place we are currently happy with.  That being said, there are some changes we introduced that will help struggling Hunters in this area.

4. Respawn times follow similar logic to skills.  There will be some changes here to help struggling Hunters (or struggling Survivors) as well.

Pete,

Thanks for replying back to my requests and for taking the time to do so. It is very much appreciated.